Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

Quick question related to the tool: does the tool do anything more than changing the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

altering the lines:

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>15G1212</string>

to the new string 15G1217? Then I can do it manually, after the update gets installed and before I hit the "Reboot" button...

Quick question related to the tool: does the tool do anything more than changing the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

altering the lines:

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
<string>15G1212</string>

to the new string 15G1217? Then I can do it manually, after the update gets installed and before I hit the "Reboot" button...

No, the tool doesn't do anything more.

You could also run this before or after downloading and installing the update (but before hitting Reboot :P) :

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/info.plist

Then manually edit the NVDARequiredOS. Don't forget to fix permissions and rebuild kernel cache using another great tool :

sudo InsanelyRepairPermission -rt /

You'll just need to know the relevant build number in advance :).

• Like 1

Guys, use this : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia%C2%AE-webdriver-updaterapp/ to patch the NVDAStartupWeb.kext so it matches 15G1217 build number ;).

Could you please explain to me, how to use this?

I downloaded the file, started it and typed "15G1217" into the text field. Then I hit "patch immediately" without checking the box "patch after installation". I can see now that inside the relevant Info.plist the string has been changed to "15G1217". But what would be my next step now??? I have no clue....

Thanks for your help!

Could you please explain to me, how to use this?

I downloaded the file, started it and typed "15G1217" into the text field. Then I hit "patch immediately" without checking the box "patch after installation". I can see now that inside the relevant Info.plist the string has been changed to "15G1217". But what would be my next step now??? I have no clue....

Thanks for your help!

repair permissions and rebuild the cache by kext wizard or other programm

Yes this checked are correct.

BUT! before sou use that, please check date/time of the /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

and check the date/time of that after you use the kext wizard with repair permissions / Systemcache new.

I say that, because sometimes the tool does not refresh the cache = prelinkedkernel = fault will not be gone!

It it worked the date/time of /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel is new.

You can also repair permission (if you change an .plist of an kext ) by

start terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel (drag & drop the whole kext you want to repair in permissions from /S/L/E into the terminal OR write the whole path here, like /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext )

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

The second command refreshes the cache=prelinkedkernel - you will see that by changed = newer date/time of the /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel.

This takes some time (up to 1 Minute) so be patient.

The app thake the step to edit the Info.plist, repair permissions and "touch" /System/Library/Extensions" causing the prelinkedkernel to be rebuilted. No other operations needed IMHO, unless you have other problems.

• Like 1

A plist edited in place by sudo has no effect on permissions. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions will update the kernel cache to reflect the change. A reboot will be required before the Web Driver can be selected again.

• Like 2

A plist edited in place by sudo has no effect on permissions. sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions will update the kernel cache to reflect the change. A reboot will be required before the Web Driver can be selected again.

sudo is not used by NVIDIA Web Drivers Updater.app. It use a UNIX socket through an XPC connection, and the OS trust the app because is code signed granting its helper tool to execute privileged tasks as root.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro I have installed a modified Nvidia 960 GTX card in, and I installed the Security Update, which of course broke the Nvidia driver.  I tried running both the linked to Nvidia WebDriver Updater as well as the repair permissions, and while I can now select the Nvidia driver, it is still using the OS X driver (slow graphics effects & only 1 screen).  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make it actually use the Nvidia driver?  Thanks!

I have a Geforce GTX 980 installed in my MacPro 5.1 (2010). I did all the steps mentioned above. Right after that I checked the "prelinkedkernel". It showed date/time just a minute ago. So that looked fine to me. 

Now I could pick the NViDIA Web Driver, rebooted... but my monitor stayed dark. I checked the webdriver preferences and under EEC my GPU is not listed. 

Also very strange: my CUDA wants to be updated. I checked with the NVIDIA website: I'm using the latest version.

Any idea? I'm really desperate, I need my Mac to do my work tomorrow.... thanks!

For me, after installing the newest Sec update, and changed the .plist to 15G1217, rebuild prelinked kernel, my GT 740 works as before (Macpro 2008 + chameleon bootloader)

Perhaps GTX 960/980 is more an "diva" - make more trouble than other gpus - and something other, beside changing .plist for Web driver, is needed?

Fun times!

@matde - can you try to plug your monitor into another port?  The one monitor I have that is working is in the HDMI port.

@mitch_de - why do you use chameleon bootloader with your MacPro?

I looked up how to clear out my kext caches build a new prelinked kernel, but when I run the command

kextcache -prelinked-kernel System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache -K System/Library/Kernels/kernel System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -prelinked-kernel

I get the following error:

NVDAStartupWeb.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

It also mentions: Untrusted kexts are not allowed

So, maybe that's why you're using the chameleon bootloader so you can use unsigned kexts?

This is so frustrating - this is why I spent the extra money to buy a real mac, so I wouldn't have to deal with downtime of my workstation :-/  And here are hackintoshes that are being more reliable! :-)
Granted, Apple never intended me to put a GTX 960 in it, but they haven't released a decent graphics card for them in 239852935 billion years.
The downfall of Apple is well under way. :-P

Just to let you know: latest update from Apple, "Security Update 2016-003 Supplemental Update" breaks NVidia Web Drivers totally, machine just does not start. Had to uninstall the drivers totally to boot up properly. And yeah, not on a hackintosh, but an Early 2009 Mini.

Just to let you know: latest update from Apple, "Security Update 2016-003 Supplemental Update" breaks NVidia Web Drivers totally, machine just does not start. Had to uninstall the drivers totally to boot up properly. And yeah, not on a hackintosh, but an Early 2009 Mini.

obviously