Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

I'm showing 'NVIDIA Chip Model 3 MB' as the name of my graphics card in "About This Mac" after updating to 10.11.5 on rig #1 in my sig. I installed v346.03.10f01 first and got no acceleration so I uninstalled it, and installed v346.03.10b01 second and still get no acceleration. Anyone else having this issue? This has never been a problem for me in Yosemite. I am using Clover bootloader as well. Any helpful advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

I'm showing 'NVIDIA Chip Model 3 MB' as the name of my graphics card in "About This Mac" after updating to 10.11.5 on rig #1 in my sig.

Any chance you have nvidia graphics injection enabled? It's not needed for the 680 and enabling it can cause this issue.

Well..

Here goes nothing. upgrading to 10.11.5 with dual 980TI ( and hoping Final Cut Pro X works )

FWIW, running 10.11.5 with a (single) 970 and FCPX works fine (still has a few weird glitches, like the share stops working after a while, but restarting the app fixes it–been doing this for a long time so not a 10.11.5 issue at all, and easy enough to workaround for now).

Any chance you have nvidia graphics injection enabled? It's not needed for the 680 and enabling it can cause this issue.

After racking my nerves over this issue, the final idea I had to solve this issue was to downgrade to 10.11.0 and then and do a direct upgrade to 10.11.5. Graphic acceleration works OOB, removed NVIDIA web drivers. Everything is all peachy  :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Quick question: I recently installed a GeForce GTX 750 Ti as the only graphics card in my original Mac Pro 4,1 and installed the NVidia Web drivers. All works, running 10.11.4 and 06f01.

I thought, that I should update the Web Driver BEFORE updating the OS to 10.11.5, but the new Web Driver 10f01 requires already the new OS.

I fear, that when I update the OS first, that I have a blank screen and need to switch graphics cards to the old ATI, just to update the web driver... I have not dared to switch to the "OS X Default Graphics Driver"...

What is the recommended way of proceeding?

Thank you very much!

Quick question: I recently installed a GeForce GTX 750 Ti as the only graphics card in my original Mac Pro 4,1 and installed the NVidia Web drivers. All works, running 10.11.4 and 06f01.

I thought, that I should update the Web Driver BEFORE updating the OS to 10.11.5, but the new Web Driver 10f01 requires already the new OS.

I fear, that when I update the OS first, that I have a blank screen and need to switch graphics cards to the old ATI, just to update the web driver... I have not dared to switch to the "OS X Default Graphics Driver"...

What is the recommended way of proceeding?

Thank you very much!

Use NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater.app 1.4 to download the correct version of webddrivers. It will patch the installer to remove SMBios and OS version check so you'll be able to install them before updating to OS X 10.11.5 :).

• Like 3

Thank you, polyzargone!

I tried it, but it says, there is no newer version available. I do not seem to be able to direct the check to the already downloaded package, there is nothing like that in the menu or GUI... :-( Seems my only choice is to wait for the updated driver to appear in the location where this program looks at...

Thank you a lot for pointing me to this updater. This is definitely the way to go in the future...

Thank you, polyzargone!

I tried it, but it says, there is no newer version available. I do not seem to be able to direct the check to the already downloaded package, there is nothing like that in the menu or GUI... :-( Seems my only choice is to wait for the updated driver to appear in the location where this program looks at...

Thank you a lot for pointing me to this updater. This is definitely the way to go in the future...

Makes sense since the NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater.app 1.4 will check what's your current OS X version is.

Anyway, you could download the correct webdrivers from post #1 then use this little AppleScript app to remove both SMBios & OS X version checks.

Nvidia_Installer_AutoPacher.zip

Thank you, polyzargone!

Thanks for your help!

Hm, I just tried that and this procedure failed. At the end of the install the NVidia Driver told me it switched the settings back to the Default OS X Driver since the new driver is not compatible with the currently installed OS version and told me to reboot. Knowing that I would have a black screen after reboot, I installed the 10.11.5 update and rebooted. I got that black screen on DP and a white screen on HDMI.

I still can ssh into the machine. Does anyone know a command line way to switch the graphics driver to the NVidia Web Driver, away from the Default OS Driver?

Thank you all!

Web Driver - 346.03.10f01 works fine on 10.11.6 after editing NVDAStartupWeb.kext to 15G :

I left the hackintosh scene for a while, can you explain me how you bypassed version check in the .pkg installer please?

It says no driver found for my build: 15G7b, i believe it's the  10.11.6 Public Beta 1

But anyways i found a workaround

pkgutil --expand WebDriver-346.03.10f01.pkg test.unpkg

Then i edited the script in the file: Distribution 

lines: 40-41

var supportedOSVer = "10.11.6";
   	 		var supportedOSBuildVer = "15G7b";

Then:

pkgutil --flatten test.unpkg/ fixed.pkg

Now the version check pass and i can install it

Then i patched the build number using your app

I'll reboot now, hopefully it'll work

It worked :D

• Like 1

It says no driver found for my build: 15G7b, i believe it's the  10.11.6 Public Beta 1

But anyways i found a workaround

pkgutil --expand WebDriver-346.03.10f01.pkg test.unpkg

Then i edited the script in the file: Distribution 

lines: 40-41

var supportedOSVer = "10.11.6";
   	 		var supportedOSBuildVer = "15G7b";

Then:

pkgutil --flatten test.unpkg/ fixed.pkg

Now the version check pass and i can install it

Then i patched the build number using your app

I'll reboot now, hopefully it'll work

It worked :D

Here show the latest available :P (because not already installed)

BTW always forgot that we have not yet shared the 1.5 version that can download all old builds for the current OS, if anyone is intrested:NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater_v1.5_Beta.zip

So when icoming beta 2 of 10.11.6 will comes (and no web drivers available) you will be ready with a total automated process  :wink_anim:  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help me? I am using the 10.11.5 version with latest web driver, so i installed the Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 update, now i can't use the drive, its keep saying that its not compatible with my version of OS X.