Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

With my GT 740 i can at least boot and use OpenGL (gpu shown as unnkown) . Without Nvidia Web drivers "only" OpenCL is very buggy and Metal doesnt work.

But i understand Nvidia: They cant put too much money (personal, faster response for dev betas) in OS X, because since a few years very less Macs use Nvidia gpus.

If next Macpro & CO  also only use AMD i  think Nvidia users will get in trouble. Why should Nvidia support OS X if Apple dosent use or use only very less Nvidia gpus?!

• Like 1

patch make only sense when the web driver cant get enabed (Version check). But if its enabled (Version OK) and not working patch does nothing for that problem. In teh past some webdrivers not worked at all (even patched version check)  with never dev betas!

patch make only sense when the web driver cant get enabed (Version check). But if its enabled (Version OK) and not working patch does nothing for that problem. In teh past some webdrivers not worked at all (even patched version check)  with never dev betas!

This is why I have asked if he had tried

This will can be worked, anyway

This is why I have asked if he had tried

This will can be worked, anyway

Patching is useless since NVDAStartupWeb.kext is already compatible with any OS X 10.11.2 15Cxxx (actually, it should be :P) :

<key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
 <string>15C</string>

There nothing to do but wait for a new version that fix it :(.

Yup, just updated to 10.11.2 Beta 5 and my machine reboots every time right before the login screen. Dang. Boots with nv_disabled=1 but that does me no good

Why are you running a beta OS?  There's a really simple solution to all your problems -- just revert back to the current shipping version of 10.11.1 which has a working web driver.  If you aren't ready to deal with things like binary incompatibilities breaking the beta web drivers for beta OS releases, maybe you shouldn't be using that OS?

Because we want to try something "NEW", LoL 

You're experiencing the reason that NVIDIA locks their released web drivers to specific OS versions, as far as I've been able to determine.  By locking to a specific version, NVIDIA can guarantee that nothing changes.  The "loose lock" used in the beta web drivers allows it to be installed on a wider range of OS versions, but then you run the risk of Apple changing an interface that the NVIDIA driver depends on, and when there's a mismatch you'll usually end up getting a kernel panic or some other fatal error.

Hopefully they'll put out a new beta release soon, since they've done that in the past when a beta build breaks due to an incompatibility like this.  If you want to try something new, then you have to be prepared for things to break.  If you don't want to deal with the  breakages, then my recommendation is to just live on the actual released version of the OS which will always have a stable web driver (NVIDIA has a long track record of keeping those drivers up to date).

You're experiencing the reason that NVIDIA locks their released web drivers to specific OS versions, as far as I've been able to determine.  By locking to a specific version, NVIDIA can guarantee that nothing changes.  The "loose lock" used in the beta web drivers allows it to be installed on a wider range of OS versions, but then you run the risk of Apple changing an interface that the NVIDIA driver depends on, and when there's a mismatch you'll usually end up getting a kernel panic or some other fatal error.

Correct. But actually, the current webdrivers are NOT locked to a specific OS X 10.11.2 beta/final version. As I said, the NVDARequiredOS is lock to 15C only. And this "lock" is in the original NVDAStartupWeb.kext, not a patched one ! The problem here looks like an incompatibility between OS X and webdrivers, not a mismatch in version build number.

Hopefully they'll put out a new beta release soon, since they've done that in the past when a beta build breaks due to an incompatibility like this.

Indeed. Fortunately, I don't need them with my GTX 650 Ti. If one really depends on them, it's wiser to wait for reports and/or new version.

Correct. But actually, the current webdrivers are NOT locked to a specific OS X 10.11.2 beta/final version. As I said, the NVDARequiredOS is lock to 15C only. And this "lock" is in the original NVDAStartupWeb.kext, not a patched one ! The problem here looks like an incompatibility between OS X and webdrivers, not a mismatch in version build number.

That's my point -- the beta drivers have a loose lock to the base version (15C) not a specific version like the official drivers (15B42).  This gives users of the beta drivers the flexibility to try them on any pre-release OS that matches the loose lock (15C = any 10.11.2 OS) at the cost of having to live with incompatibilities when Apple changes things on their side and breaks the drivers.  My point is that if you don't want to deal with these breakages, don't use a beta OS.

• Like 1

That's my point -- the beta drivers have a loose lock to the base version (15C) not a specific version like the official drivers (15B42).  This gives users of the beta drivers the flexibility to try them on any pre-release OS that matches the loose lock (15C = any 10.11.2 OS) at the cost of having to live with incompatibilities when Apple changes things on their side and breaks the drivers.  My point is that if you don't want to deal with these breakages, don't use a beta OS.

Yes, I just realized I read too fast or TBH, not understood the subtlety of "loose lock" (I'm French :P).

Apologies ;).

Ok, i know that. I want to say again,, i only want to try new version of OS X.

I know the risk, no problem.

• Like 1

Installed Beta 5 on 4,1 PowerMac w GTX680, only way out of boot looping was to plug in Apple keyboard and zap PRAM. Booting into Recovery and running Disk Utility multiple times (no errors found, wow) still would lead to boot loops upon restarting. After zapping PRAM I was prompted to choose a language then it booted regularly and is running fine with beta NVIDIA drivers.

Anyone have any hints on how to modify the install package so that it works for iMac14,2 ? 

The old method I used no longer works and NVIDIA WebDriver Updater app doesn't find the new build to download.

thanks in advance. 

Do you run the web driver update tool with booting from El Captain 10.11.2 Dev system?

For my knowledge it cant find the update of you try that tool booting 10.11.1 

• Like 1

Do you run the web driver update tool with booting from El Captain 10.11.2 Dev system?

For my knowledge it cant find the update of you try that tool booting 10.11.1 

After installing the newest beta, the web driver just decided to work. Not sure what happened there. 

Oddly, the update tool (before installing the web driver pkg) informed me there were no updates for my system. -shrug-