Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

bb1045 made it first :D few posts above... But this time I will wait, spent several hours figuring out what was the culprit. Plist edit, reboot (verbose) filled with mdworker sandboxed out of everything and temps jumping to some 70 °C instead of baseline 50 °C (mmkay, baseline used to be 70 °C but I reapplied Arctic Ceramique...) After second reboot with un/installed f05 it was clear path to uninstall and not re. Waiting for feedback this time :D

I'm not certain about the drivers from OP but I'm hoping somehow I can get imovie working inside of osx or vm osx with my system.

I have

MSI ge70 20e laptop with i7 4700 and Nvidia Gt 860m

Bios has no option to shut off Gt 860.

Is there any hope to getting imovie to work for me?

Just to let you know: latest update from Apple, "Security Update 2016-003 Supplemental Update" breaks NVidia Web Drivers totally, machine just does not start. Had to uninstall the drivers totally to boot up properly. And yeah, not on a hackintosh, but an Early 2009 Mini.

Yep, thats "normal", always because Nvidia use that stupid OS version check (inNVStartupWeb, as fixed .plist entry) which make taht kind of trouble - even the "old" driver would run perfekt.

For me, which can also use Apple Drivers (with Kepler GT 740) it is bad, that after updating system (OS version changes) it does NOT use the Apple drivers, the OS try to use the Web drivers,

they fail and an endless loop of blackscreen with the running apple wheel , short before the desktop would come up, starts.

The way how Nvidia implemented the drivers in case of not fitting system version is not intelligent - better would be if the driver "sees" wrong OS version, it boots up in safe mode.

So the user can change or update something insted of black screen/ bootloop.

Apple killed NVIDIA.

Yep, thats "normal", always because Nvidia use that stupid OS version check (inNVStartupWeb, as fixed .plist entry) which make taht kind of trouble - even the "old" driver would run perfekt.

For me, which can also use Apple Drivers (with Kepler GT 740) it is bad, that after updating system (OS version changes) it does NOT use the Apple drivers, the OS try to use the Web drivers,

they fail and an endless loop of blackscreen with the running apple wheel , short before the desktop would come up, starts.

The way how Nvidia implemented the drivers in case of not fitting system version is not intelligent - better would be if the driver "sees" wrong OS version, it boots up in safe mode.

So the user can change or update something insted of black screen/ bootloop.

• 3 weeks later...

The issue I'm having with latest drivers is that it doesn't stick.. Upon every boot, it's on the OS X default graphics driver. Can't get it to stick even though nvda_drv=1 in config.plist and so is Nvidiaweb is ticked under system parameters. How do i get it to stick on WebDrivers upon every boot?

First check if which driver is really loaded/used. Using nvda_drv=1 with newest chameleon (features Webdriver usage like Clover) works.

But Nvidia Prefpane always shows OS X drivers used, even Nivida Web drivers are in use!

My WebDriverCheck tool shows what is really used - Web oder Apple driver.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/695-webdrivercheck/

Also try to update prelinked kernel - sometimes thats the problem.

Did you try EmuUEFIvariable.efi?

The issue I'm having with latest drivers is that it doesn't stick.. Upon every boot, it's on the OS X default graphics driver. Can't get it to stick even though nvda_drv=1 in config.plist and so is Nvidiaweb is ticked under system parameters. How do i get it to stick on WebDrivers upon every boot?

• 1 month later...

Security update 2017-001 bumps the build to 15G1421.  I've updated /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist with this new build, but I still can't get the web driver to load.  I've also repaired the permissions.

Any other tricks?  Mad that I installed the security update without checking if there was a new web driver available.  Now I have non-accelerated graphics, making everything unusable 

Are there  additional steps beyond modifying the plist and restarting?  

I am trying http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/474-nvidia®-webdriver-updaterapp/now

Beside repairing permissions and rebuilding kernel cache, no.

The app you're talking about will do the necessary steps :).

Anyway, I can confirm webdrivers works fine on 10.11.6 (15G1421).

Even after running the app I still can't get the Web Drivers recognized.  

I have GeForce GTX 970 in a Mac Pro 2010, and I only get full resolution and no graphics acceleration (lots of tearing and other bad artifacts, slow finder animations, etc).

Web Driver is checked in the Driver Manager.

In CUDA Preferences it says No GPU Detected

Is SIP disabled?

Check it :

csrutil status

No, it is not.  Unfortunately, I tried to reset my PRAM, and not I am in a boot loader loop.  Unclear if this was the cause, or if something else was lurking all long,

It can't work without disabling SIP because the NVDAStartupWeb.kext is now considered as "untrusted" by the system.

Booting the Recovery HD, disabling SIP and rebuild kextcache should do the trick. You may need to boot in single user mode to do the later.

/sbin/ mount -uw /
touch /System/Library/Extensions
reboot

It can't work without disabling SIP because the NVDAStartupWeb.kext is now considered as "untrusted" by the system.

Booting the Recovery HD, disabling SIP and rebuild kextcache should do the trick. You may need to boot in single user mode to do the later.

/sbin/ mount -uw /
touch /System/Library/Extensions
reboot

Thank you - disabling SIP was the missing link.  I guess most users here are hackintosh, so already have it disabled. It was new for me, as I'm on a stock Mac Pro, just with the GTX 970.

• Like 1

@DMCrimson

You can prevent problem like that by faking build version to just 15G instead of full build number.

The trick applies to any OS X/macOS version BTW :).

I know, I've been doing that constantly :D For some reason the WebDriver updater doesn't work for me anymore, so I need to rely on MacKextLight to edit the build version and KextUtility to rebuild caches (which also removes some bootargs despite it's config)