Nvidia Web Driver updates for El Capitan (UPDATE 07/11/2018)

716 posts in this topic

Anybody on 10.11.1 yet? I modified NVDA...kext to version 15B42. NVIDIA Driver Manager panel is set to Webdriver, nvda_drv=1 in bootargs. My 960 is not detected though and MacOS is using the default driver... Any Ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

@keefar

• SIP value ?

• Did you fixed permissions and rebuild kernel cache using InsanelyRepairPermission tool ?

correct command is :

sudo InsanelyRepairPermission -rt /Volumes/Your Volume

Or just use this awesome app : NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater.app 1.1

Works fine editing the NVDAStartupWeb.kext anyway ;) :

42d42540-66e4-41dd-ae8d-e9d07b50ab80.jpg

• Like 1

• Did you fixed permissions and rebuild kernel cache using InsanelyRepairPermission tool ?

correct command is :

sudo InsanelyRepairPermission -rt /Volumes/Your Volume

That did the trick, seems like my method of repairing permissions didn't work. Good to know, first time I did this in El Capitan. BTW, NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater.app 1.1 didn't seem to repair permissions correctly as well :) Anyways, thanks a lot!

OT: do you know where to put the command line tool so I can use it from any directory?

• Like 1

OT: do you know where to put the command line tool so I can use it from any directory?

Copy InsanelyRepairPermission to /usr/local/bin/

It will be available at anytime from the terminal. Just type the same command as explained above i.e :

sudo InsanelyRepairPermission -rt /

will fix and repair permissions on the boot volume.

• Like 3

That did the trick, seems like my method of repairing permissions didn't work. Good to know, first time I did this in El Capitan. BTW, NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater.app 1.1 didn't seem to repair permissions correctly as well :) Anyways, thanks a lot!

OMG, v1.1 comes out today and should repair the permissions using InsanelyRepairPermission (included in the app bundle). So thanks to you for finding this bug .. I try to solve immediately! :D

• Like 1

New NVIDIA® WebDriver Updater.app v1.2  , now should repair the permissions as expected.

Sorry this was a mistake by me because InsanelyRepairPermissions was not copied inside the app bundle as he should have at compile time in Xcode:

I organized repositories shortly before compiling v1.1 posted, changing this, InsanelyMacRepairPermission was no longer found. Now it is OK

EDIT

The app check for the FS Protection in SIP, if enabled the app does not allow  kext patching or the NVEnabler.kext installation in SLE.

BTW you can install the downloaded package, also if SIP is fully enabled.

• Like 1

Okay, finally updated to the f02 driver (was still on the f01). New benchmarks are RIDICULOUSLY faster:

GpuTest results jumped from 16646 to 20613 too!!!  :drool:

This is exciting!  :w00t:

Update on 346.03.03f01!! Down on everything but with the oddity of that 4.1 result… :(

GL-NvidiaDriversDifference-2.png

GpuTest result didn't take as much of a hit: 19968.

Anyone noticed glitches and OpenCL crashes on 10.11.x web drivers @ GTX970? :(

Yep, massivly. OpenCL is working only partime. Luxmark crashes after some time. Many other OpenCL tasks also or even didnt run anymore.

Even more OpenCL  probs with Apple drivers - mostly OpenCL apps not even start anymore .

For example VMWARE Fusion cant start guest anymore by OpenCL errors in the log.

Nvidia GT 440.

Yep, massivly. OpenCL is working only partime. Luxmark crashes after some time. Many other OpenCL tasks also or even didnt run anymore.

Even more OpenCL  probs with Apple drivers - mostly OpenCL apps not even start anymore .

For example VMWARE Fusion cant start guest anymore by OpenCL errors in the log.

Nvidia GT 440.

Meh. Is it stable on 10.10.5 and older web drivers?

EDIT

The app check for the FS Protection in SIP, if enabled the app does not allow  kext patching or the NVEnabler.kext installation in SLE.

BTW you can install the downloaded package, also if SIP is fully enabled.

Hi, for me i cant use that patch. I have disabled FS Protection in SIP but the app thinks it is enabled.

Here bdmesg from Chameleon

Loading Kernel Cache from: 'Mac_OSX' (GPT HFS+)

Booting on OS X 10.11.2 (15C27e)

System Integrity Protection status: disabled (Custom Configuration).

CsrActiveConfig = 0x67 (1100111)

Configuration:

Kext Signing: disabled

Filesystem Protections: disabled

Task for PID: disabled

Debugging Restrictions: enabled

Apple Internal: enabled

DTrace Restrictions: disabled

NVRAM Protections: disabled

what say "csrutil status[/size]" in terminal?

..10.11.2 something is changed?

System Integrity Protection status: enabled (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
	Apple Internal: disabled
	Kext Signing: disabled
	Filesystem Protections: disabled
	Debugging Restrictions: enabled
	DTrace Restrictions: enabled
	NVRAM Protections: enabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.
Seems like latest webdrivers are broken on 10.11.2 15C27e :(. Instant reboot when reaching OS X desktop :o !

Ok I think, I messed up. I upgraded to OS X 10.11.1 before updating the video driver. Is there a way to update it afterwards?

the chicken-egg problem I have now is that I can't update the driver because my video card (GTX980ti) doesn't work without the driver and I can't see the GUI to upgrade the driver x)

The base for my computer is a mac pro 5,1, so I can't do any BIOS stuff or boot into anything else :/ hm… actually I think a linux live cd might work if I remove the boot SSD, but then what? :( or can I take the SSD, connect it to my macbook using a S-ATA/USB bridge and edit something? :X

Ok I think, I messed up. I upgraded to OS X 10.11.1 before updating the video driver. Is there a way to update it afterwards?

the chicken-egg problem I have now is that I can't update the driver because my video card (GTX980ti) doesn't work without the driver and I can't see the GUI to upgrade the driver x)

The base for my computer is a mac pro 5,1, so I can't do any BIOS stuff or boot into anything else :/ hm… actually I think a linux live cd might work if I remove the boot SSD, but then what? :( or can I take the SSD, connect it to my macbook using a S-ATA/USB bridge and edit something? :X

At the clover boot screen find options and then boot args. remove nvda_drv=1 if it's there and replace with nv_disable=1 it should boot into the os (albeit with very poor graphics). log in and update the webdrivers, reboot and everything should be back to normal.

Then boot in safe mode (without extensions). Should do the same as nv_disable=1.

can't work, web drivers have "OSBundleRequired" key  set to "Safe Boot". If no other OSX installations.. he need to boot the Recovery HD or the installer and delete it manually using the Terminal.

Probably removing NVDAStartupEwb.kext should be enough:

rm -rf /Volumes/YourVolume/System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext