X79 Post Install Kexts etc

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Running with an Asus P9X79 Pro, Intel i7-3820 and NVidia 780. I have Yosemite up and running well except for two issues:

-USB 3.0 not detecting devices plugged in

-Possibly network issues

For USB 3.0 (ASMedia chip), I have tried the latest GenericUSBXHCI kext as well as, my most recent attempt, installing the .dmg files from Rampage Dev's X79.dmg package (specifically the AppleIntelE1000, GenericUSBXHCI and VoodooTSCSYNT). USB 3.0 still won't recognize anything plugged in, but system report shows that it is USB 3.0 capable. Bios settings are USB Legacy:Auto | USB 3 Legacy:Enabled | EHCI Hand-Off:Enabled. ASMedia USB 3.0 is enabled of course. 

For network issues, I have problems when streaming HD video on various sites. It streams, but not at a high bitrate. Speed tests show my expected 180Mbps/30Mbps connection (Cox Ultimate), but streaming just doesn't seem to use that. Also when connecting Vuze/BitTorrent through Proxy, the connection times out (when I use bad authentication parameters, it gives an authentication failure message, so the timeout shows it's passing that point but not finalizing the handshake). Identical settings work fine on my Windows 8.1 dual-boot. 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

UPDATE: Reloaded the same AppleIntelE1000e kext again and torrent proxy works fine. Still streaming video files from Hulu, HBO Now, etc, at low bitrate though. Installing Windows 10 on VMWare Fusion now and will report back if HD works through that. 

on clover configurator, matter your config.plist,

Section devices usb inject. salvo
delete genericUSB .... repair permissions and cache.
restarts, check the USB 3.0

Thanks for the suggestion, no dice though. I saved the new config.plist after enabling USB injection, repaired disk permissions and then rebuilt the kext cache through terminal. Lastly deleted the generic kext.USB devices plugged into the USB 3.0 ports don't get recognized, and now the system information for USB doesn't show anything USB 3.0. Just USB Hi-Speed Bus for the 2.0 ports.

Also, running HBO Now video through the Windows 10 browser from VMWare Fusion plays in HD. Hah. So the host OS (Yosemite) won't play it in HD, but the child OS Windows will through virtualization. Must be a Flash thing on OS X. Any ideas for that?

For ethernet you could try Mieze's IntelMausiEthernet kext instead of AppleIntelE1000e.

I never had much luck with GenericUSBXHCI. I use the Oyen Digital driver on both of my hacks for USB3 in conjunction with a DSDT edit to make my ASM1042 appear to be a NEC chip. Another approach would be to edit the kext's info.plist to remove the check for the NEC device ID. The downside is that it only works for storage devices (forget about audio or phones/tablets).