MacBook Pro Late 2011 Dual Monitors

4 posts in this topic

Hello Friends!

After many years playing with hackintosh, i got an MBP Late 2011 for a relatively cheap price, and I'm very happy with it! I've been using it as my daily driver for some time, as a programmer, and it fits well into my routine.

Now I want to buy 2 monitors to work better at home, and I want to know if it is possible to use more than one monitor with the MBP, and what setup works best. I've read some tips about Daisy Chain Dell monitors, but as my MBP has the first thunderbolt, I don`t know if it will work...

If someone shine some light on what I must do to get it working (If it is possible), I will be grateful!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Daisy chain is the only way. Google images shows how it's done

Hey @vusun123, thanks for the quick reply! I did the search, and I found two situations:

1. The guy has a thunderbolt 2 mac, so he can daisy chain with no problem, as it is compatible with displayport 2.0 spec...

2. Guy with old mac, using one monitor on thunderbolt, and another on USB, so he has a good monitor and a laggy monitor...

I want to know if it is possible to use Daisy Chain on a mac with thunderbolt 1 (As my Macbook Pro Late 2011)

Your mac (Per your signature), seems to be a thunderbolt 1 as well, did you ever used daisy chain with non apple monitors?

Since I replied here, I searched more, and I found this Apple support page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5219), where they clarify that my computer supports a single Thunderbolt Display, or Two with the main screen turned off... But there is no info about the Daisy Channel with DisplayPort... Well It seems that I will need to settle on one monitor only... :cry: