Clover takes 20 seconds. Is this slow?

5 posts in this topic

From the time Clover starts loading (after b1f: init 5) to the time the boot selection screen shows, about 20 seconds passes. 

I followed the suggestion of another post and unplugged all of my USB devices and everything went much faster. (about 4 seconds vs 20) I plugged in one device at a time and recorded the time to find the culprit. Here is the result:

// Added USB Device         Time 1 Time 2 (seconds)
Keyboard                    4.200   4.202
+Arduino                    4.416   4.390
+Mouse                      4.316   4.169
+Tartarus                   4.740   4.463
+Monitor (Hub)              4.587   4.738
+Monitor (Hub) -> Webcam    4.919   4.934
+Bluetooth Dongle           7.280   7.270
+Wireless Xbox Controller   7.357   7.186
+External Hard Drive        19.219  18.781

The Bluetooth Dongle and the External Hard Drive seem to be slowing it down the most. Is there anything I can do about this? 

Clover is on version 2.3k build 2015-05-29 19:32:05

I'm running Yosemite (10.10.3)

BIOS is up to date (F11)

It may be important to note that my motherboard does not support UEFI.

Links:

Clover config.plist: http://pastebin.com/wxUDDxhn

Clover bdmesg: http://pastebin.com/FZDetHZ4

Hardware: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xsDgyc

Reddit Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/38hzh7/clover_takes_20_seconds_is_this_slow/

@uPaymeiFixit,

On my legacy BIOS desktop (GAP55aUD3/Intel i5 750/AMD HD 5770), I found installing Clover with the BiosBlockIO option greatly reduced the time taken to reach the Clover Main Menu:

post-846696-0-70754200-1403501286_thumb.

You can also compile Clover yourself with CloverGrowerPro and use the "-D DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT" option to disable scanning for USB devices except the keyboard during boot - see @Maniac10's guide here (in Spanish - use google translate :)).  The "Activate Only SATA0 Patch by default" option will allow Clover to scan for only the hard disk attached to the first SATA port.

Good Luck!

• Like 3

Hello and Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum!

Read this: Post#47 How to speedup Clover boot

And this: Clover Wiki/Boot

I have read through these two documents and I'm down to about 7 seconds! So thank you very much for that. I have some questions though. 

Reason #1
Debug is set to false in my config.plist

Reason #2
I set Scan -> Entries / Legacy / Tool to false, and there were no bootable devices shown, so I reverted it.

It's my understanding that I have all of my custom entries disabled (Because the key is #Custom instead of Custom). Is this correct?

At the moment I do not have any NTFS drives connected, so I assume disabling NTFS.efi will not help. Is this correct?

Reason #3
/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64/ contains 
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus-64.efi
and drivers64UEFI contains
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus-64.efi
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

Can any of these be removed safely? Is this too many? Should I be worrying about my drivers32 folder?

Reason #4
TextOnly=True, so I will assume this can be disregarded.

Reason #5 
Mouse -> Enabled=false

Reason #6
I have added HFSPlus-64.efi to my /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64*/ folders. This helped a lot. I'm down to about 8 seconds. 

Legacy
I'm not sure if I should change this or not.

DefaultVolume
I will assume this will not speed up the boot process. Correct?

DefaultLoader
Will this potentially speed up clover?

Fast
I would like to use this, but I need to be able to select what I am booting into. How can I tell clover to only search for Sata0 drivers?

@uPaymeiFixit,

On my legacy BIOS desktop (GAP55aUD3/Intel i5 750/AMD HD 5770), I found installing Clover with the BiosBlockIO option greatly reduced the time taken to reach the Clover Main Menu:

post-846696-0-70754200-1403501286_thumb.

You can also compile Clover yourself with CloverGrowerPro and use the "-D DISABLE_USB_SUPPORT"  option to disable scanning for USB devices during boot - see @Maniac10's guide here (in Spanish - use google translate :)).

Good Luck!

Thank you so much. Installing Clover with the BiosBlockIO option got me down to 3 seconds. I know in most cases this isn't considered fast, but for now it's enough for me for now. 

Just out of curiosity, would compiling Clover to disable scanning for USB devices disable my keyboard, and therefore prevent me from selecting an alternative boot device?