Cpu throttling, first post, please help me

and3x

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, first time poster here. 

To begin with, i would like to send out a huge THANK YOU, to all those out there in the Hackintosh community for being so awesome and helpful to us noobs. Ive just entered this world and ive been building my first Hackintosh by the grace of all the nice people putting out guides and how-to´s. Its been a couple of intense days, but ive learned so much, still really a noob though so please answer as thorough as possible... ;)

Ive built a Clover installed machine: 4890K on Asus z87 Deluxe/Dual - Yosemite 10.10.3. It is supposed to be a real workhorse for Audio/Video creation.

Now, i have overclocked it just slightly to 4.5GHz but i want it to stay at that frequency and disable ALL kinds of CPU throttling, Speedstep, CPU parking et.c. I really want it to behave like i set it up in UEFI BIOS. Something like how Windows behaves with its "Always On" power scheme. Things i have tried so far:

•  I have disabled the Generate c- and p-states in config.plist via Clover Configurator.
  •  I have tried to set Min Multiplier to different values.
  •  I have tried to inject the NullCPUPowermanagement kext by placing it in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 (and verify that it is loading in boot.log).
  •  About this mac shows iMac 14,2 and i have not set anything in the SMBios part of Clover Configurator. The entries in SMBios are all blank.

None of these things make any difference! Im checking the CPU multiplier in HWMonitor, idling it goes down to x8. It is not throttling due to heat because i have really good cooling with low temps. When checking P States via DPCIManager it fluctuates between a few states/multipliers and sometimes even generates a "P States I/O error, throttling to 9Hz" (!)

I have turned off all CPU power management in the UEFI BIOS but once booted into Yosemite, those settings are not honoured and are overwritten somehow. My BIOS settings are as follows:

• Disabled Speedstep, EIST, pStates, cStates and other power saving settings.
  • All cores to multiplier x45, vcore to 1.210.

Please help me! The simpler the solution the better, im still very new to all this. Please provide noob-friendly answers.  :) Others on this forum (and "the other one") are also having this problem and those threads remain un-answered, please lets make this thread a go-to resource for these kinds of problems.

Again, thank in advance!

Kind regards from Sweden // Anders

Hi Allan, thanks for your hint. As i wrote not even NullCPUPowermanagement works, nothing ive tried works for disabling throttling. XCPM you say? Ok, could someone please provide some instructions to how i in the simplest possible manner would implement this in order to disable all kinds of frequency scaling? I want the clock and settings made in bios to be honoured once booted into Yosemite.

I had another idea, to my knowledge its only Broadwell that uses the new "kernel power management" implemented in Mavericks and onwards? Can i somehow use fake CPU ID to trick Yosemite in to thinking it is booting a IvyBridge and thus not using the new power management? This way i could use NullCPUPowermanagement to disable PM all together?

Or are there other, better/simpler ways to go about this? Am i missing something?

I had another idea, to my knowledge its only Broadwell that uses the new "kernel power management" implemented in Mavericks and onwards? 

You need read more: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/xnu-cpu-power-management/

Can i somehow use fake CPU ID to trick Yosemite in to thinking it is booting a IvyBridge and thus not using the new power management? This way i could use NullCPUPowermanagement to disable PM all together?

I don't recommend this.

Read this guide: Power Management for your Hackintosh

Thanks Allan, ive finally found the time to read about the ssdtPRGen.sh script. I just dont know what flag to use when i run the script. Lets say i would like to try two different set-ups in two different ssdt´s. What flags should i use to compile files for the following scenarios:

One that ONLY run my cpu in my highest overclocking state (say x47 multiplier).

One that consists of the lowest idle state(x8 multiplier) and directly switches to the highest turbo with no p-states in between. 2 states, idle and full power.

Please help with this, im so close to finally getting this computer up and running tailored to my needs!

P.s. is the -x 0 flag an option? It is supposed to disable xcpm power management? D.s.

Ok, im confused, this flag (./ssdtPRGen.sh -1) would enable xcpm, right? As far as i know im already running xcpm. 

Are you saying that if i enable xcpm with this command, and also have no generated C- & P-states in my config.plis it will bypass all power management?

Thanks!