OSX on Xeon E3-1231 v3 system

Alexandru M.

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Alex and I am a web application developer.

I've just upgraded my PC and would like to try installing OSX on it. The components are :

MainBoard: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Memory: 6 GB DDR 3 SSD: Intel 520 240 GB Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 970 JetStream 4GB DDR5 256-bit CPU: Xeon E3-1231 v3

I used to have OSX installed on an Ideapad laptop a couple of years ago, and used it for around 9 months as my development environment, worked fine except the wireless connection. I remember back then I used iaktos, so I am not completely new to boot flags and kernel panics, however a long time has passed since then.

I am hoping some of you have some similar components to mine and can shed some light on what would work out of the box and what would not, and also what version I should try out.

One important thing, I don't have a wired network, just a wireless one and I'm using some TP-Link USB wireless card, what is the deal with those, do they generally work? I think the specific model is TL-WN722N.

Thank you!

Hello everyone,

First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Alex and I am a web application developer.

I've just upgraded my PC and would like to try installing OSX on it. The components are :

MainBoard: Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Memory: 6 GB DDR 3 SSD: Intel 520 240 GB Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 970 JetStream 4GB DDR5 256-bit CPU: Xeon E3-1231 v3

I used to have OSX installed on an Ideapad laptop a couple of years ago, and used it for around 9 months as my development environment, worked fine except the wireless connection. I remember back then I used iaktos, so I am not completely new to boot flags and kernel panics, however a long time has passed since then.

I am hoping some of you have some similar components to mine and can shed some light on what would work out of the box and what would not, and also what version I should try out.

One important thing, I don't have a wired network, just a wireless one and I'm using some TP-Link USB wireless card, what is the deal with those, do they generally work? I think the specific model is TL-WN722N.

Thank you!Fo

The Z97 + Haswell is pretty much supported by Yosemite. You just need couple boot flags to make everything works, including the integrated Intel graphics. For your GTX 970, you will need nvidia web drivers to enable full acceleration. The built-in driver only supports Kelper GPU. Not very sure about your Wi-Fi adapter but you probably need to replace it. I would suggest some built-in PCIe + BT combo card.

I am using AW-CE123H (BCM4352/BCM20702) which works perfectly. It just needs couple kext patches via Clover to enable full functionally. You can get AW-CB160H (BCM4360/BCM20702) which is supported by Yosemite OOB. It is more expensive though.