Tidying up Clover boot (OS X and Windows)

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

As you know, installing Windows on UEFI creates a lot of unwanted entries that show up in Clover. Reading boot.log I noted all the volume IDs and I hid most of them. The problem is that the booting partition of Win 8.1 is on EFI, which happens to be the home of another unwanted entry. So if I hide the EFI ID both will disappear.

The one that works is called EFI Shell or something like that. If I select "Boot Windows from EFI" it will just hang. So I want to hide only that partition.

Is it possible at all?

If you want to boot Windows from Clover, you have to choose the option "Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI". Others won't work. For me, I don't hide entry. I just stop the auto scan and create my custom entry. It's easier than selecting what to hide.

Otherwise, you can stop Clover from scanning "legacy" entry. That will leave you 3 entries: Windows, OS X, OS X rescue.

If you want to boot Windows from Clover, you have to choose the option "Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI". Others won't work. For me, I don't hide entry. I just stop the auto scan and create my custom entry. It's easier than selecting what to hide.

Otherwise, you can stop Clover from scanning "legacy" entry. That will leave you 3 entries: Windows, OS X, OS X rescue.

I know which entry works. The problem, as I said, is that it resides on the same volume (EFI) of another useless unbootable partition.

I like the idea about stopping legacy entries. How do you do that?

Actually, thank you :) I managed to do the trick! Indeed works.

Will this preclude me the possibility to boor MBR stuff? It's not important, in case I will add a Linux USB stick I'll format it with GPT.

I know which entry works. The problem, as I said, is that it resides on the same volume (EFI) of another useless unbootable partition.

I like the idea about stopping legacy entries. How do you do that?

Actually, thank you :) I managed to do the trick! Indeed works.

Will this preclude me the possibility to boor MBR stuff? It's not important, in case I will add a Linux USB stick I'll format it with GPT.

That's how I do it:

1. Uncheck "Legacy"

2. Uncheck "Entries"

3. Create custom entries for Windows and Mac only.

Make sure that your custom entries work before you uncheck "entries" or else you will end up having no items in clover for you to boot. Note that I didn't use the "Hide Volume" function.

If I ever need to boot to other stuff, I will go to my BIOS.

post-1534755-0-15955800-1432252286_thumb.png

• Like 1