Laptop i7 @ 103+C - NOT throttling! Help!

bozma88

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys!

I’m proud owner of a vanilla build on a Envy DV7 laptop (see specs in signature).

Everything works flawlessly, vanilla install, patching everything with clover, custom DSDT, SSDT, 802.11ac 5ghz, BT4, GPU shutdown via SSDT, audio, everything!

This beast is perfect :)

The fact is this..

DN1z0NR.png

when pushed really hard (quad-core video encoding), temperature rises above 100C, but laptop does NOT shutdown nor throttle, it stays in turbo boost even at these extreme temperatures!

The problem is NOT cooling, and the external NVIDIA GPU is shut down and is not generating heat.

The problem is that it’s NOT throttling down.

Is throttling controlled by SSDT tables?

Some facts:

- I have deleted some SSDT tables, left only the ones related to P-C states (fixed by pikerAlpha script) and the ones related to GPU switching

- I’m not controlling nor patching any function related to FAN control / thermal shutdown modifications

- I’m not dropping nor injecting tables via Clover

- Power management works really good

- SMBIOS productname is MacBookPro9,1

- Idles @ 3.5W / 48C

Thank you so much  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Throttling should be controlled by the CPU itself. In theory operating system and it's software if strenuous enough, could push any processor to the point of explosion.

Your turboboost is 3.4GHz, is that what your hardware monitor is showing as well when you reach these temps?

My guess is that it's actually not overheating and your the sensors and hardware sensors/software are displaying incorrectly.