fix for JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 boot hang + GMA grahpics issue + Pro apps

JaS

149 posts in this topic

i get the message "One or more volume(s) failed to mount"

i also tried "mkdir /Volumes/IPEN" and then "mount -t msdos /dev/disk6 /Volumes/IPEN"

but i get the message

"can't add a repository (not a directory).

mount_msdos: msdos filesystem is not avaliable"

i can make a copy of AppleIntel* kexts to another directory, delete them from /Volumes/iDeneb/System/Library/Extensions, boot the OSX and them put them back again on /Volumes/iDeneb/System/Library/Extensions directory, is this ok?

Yes, I was going to suggest something similar. Don't forget permissions. If you use "sudo mv" it should be OK permission-wise.

I just tried a different distro and it recognizes msdos and ntfs flash drives so it must be something about iDeneb which doesn't have those available to load.

iDeneb published a 10.5.8 Combo update, but it probably isn't readily available anymore.

If you didn't select any special add-ons when you installed, then a regular Apple 10.5.8 Combo update should work, but you would have to re-install this AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext before you rebooted after the installation of 10.5.8.

im download iDeneb.Combo.Upgrade.v10.5.8 torrent, regarding the AppleIntel* kexts after delete them and copy them again to "/Volumes/iDeneb/System/Library/Extensions" i got the blue screen so i think im going to delete them again or you have any solution?

You were doing posting #103. But the last step of posting #103 should have been to install those other two kexts.

copy the AppleIntel* kexts. Delete the AppleIntel* kexts. Boot. Reinstall the AppleIntel* kexts. Install the ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext fromhttp://www.insanelym...owtopic=141549. Then reboot.

How do I know? Use what works. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141549 is supposed to be better, but if it doesn't give you QE/CI, then you don't want them, do you? If you read http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=169115&view=findpost&p=1197619 it says that the GMA950 package contains kexts from 10.5.7 You may or may not want those if you have updated to 10.5.8.

1. You only have one GMA in your computer and it is GMA 915. It is either working or not. Regardless of what System Profiler says.

Can you go to System Preferences -> Displays and have multiple resolutions to choose from? Then GMA 915 is working.

Can you go to /Applications/Dashboard. Click on the (+) button in the bottom left side of the screen. Drag any widget to the Desktop and drop it there. When you do drop it, do you see a water ripple effect? Then QE/CI is working.

If you can answer "yes" to both of those questions, then you have GMA 915 with QE/CI support which is what you are trying to achieve.

2. About the System Profiler crash, in /System/Library/Extensions, do you have SMBIOSEnabler.kext or SMBIOSResolver.kext or AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext installed?

Can you go to System Preferences -> Displays and have multiple resolutions to choose from? Then GMA 915 is working.

yes

Can you go to /Applications/Dashboard. Click on the (+) button in the bottom left side of the screen. Drag any widget to the Desktop and drop it there. When you do drop it, do you see a water ripple effect? Then QE/CI is working.

yes

2. About the System Profiler crash, in /System/Library/Extensions, do you have SMBIOSEnabler.kext or SMBIOSResolver.kext or AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext installed?

i have AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext there, but not the other two..

1. Your video is working.

2. Profiler crash

- backup these two files: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext and /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext

- download and run this installer: http://www.mediafire...81u3sa3xjnaqt9n

- reboot and see if your System Profiler works.

3. Make a folder and put copies of the files you needed to make your system work. Put it in a safe place in case you must reinstall. This includes the Combo update, the video kexts, and if it works, this System Profiler installer.