fix for JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 boot hang + GMA grahpics issue + Pro apps

JaS

149 posts in this topic

If you get an error with intel sse3 where you can't get past the blue screen just do this

boot up -v -f -s -x then type in

mount -uw /

mv /system/library/exrensions/r2d2.kext /system/library/extensions/

and let it boot up in safe boot

once in the desktop mount the 10.4.7 /10.4.6 install dvd and run the GMA support package , repair your permissions and reboot

If you are trying to run pro apps just open the 10.4.7 combo update with pacifist and install the iokit.framework and they will run without issue.

that will fix the error with he blue screen , gma gfx and Pro apps crashing

For those of you that are NOT updating from my 10.4.7. If you already have my 10.4.7 installed you wont get this problem.
Hello JaS. Just trying to feed my database at the right spot(s) - does that apply to BOTH of your 10.4.8 updates, the delta and the combo?

Thank you,

Bugs.

Hi JaS, this is in no way to slag off your massive work. Take it as a constructive feedback in case others have the same problem (or not hopefully).

After installing 10.4.8 combo (coming from your 10.4.7 upgrade) I had a black screen with two blue vertical bars after reboot. Here is verbatim what I did following your instructions:

I booted into text-only mode (F8) with

-v -f -s -x

mount -uw /

mv /system/library/exrensions/r2d2.kext /system/library/extensions/

and booted into safe mode (-x).

The system halts on the blue screen with the OSX splash and the progress bar doesn't move. I left it running for about 30 minutes without any reaction.

Am I missing something else?

cheers

sol

Hi guys,

thanks to all.

Finally I am on my Desktop. Hurayyy.

Everything works (as far as I tested) except video files bought from iTunes. iTunes says I am not authorized to play this video file. Do you have any recommendations, please?

Thanks

Martin

Hi

I have the same problem as solaar. Get a black screen with mouse pointer and thats it.

I installed over JaS delta 10.4.8 (over JaS 10.4.7 DVD).

Now trying to re-install JaS delta 10.4.8 in case it will repair it.

Cheers

I just booted with -v and found this:

/system/library/extensions/r2d2.kext no such bundle file exists

..... and further down right before it halts

a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915.kext

I just noticed... isn't /System/Library/Extensions case-sensitive?

I just booted with -v and found this:

/system/library/extensions/r2d2.kext no such bundle file exists

..... and further down right before it halts

a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel915.kext

I just noticed... isn't /System/Library/Extensions case-sensitive?

No, not case sensitive. Did you do the fix in posting #1 ?

r2d2.kext gets moved from exrensions to extensions

Cheers Billy. Your hint is much appreciated.

I do realise though that's what needs to be done but how did you do that without desktop? I don't know how to install from a command line so I'll probably start over from scratch...

I'm back in the GUI.

Two things -

in the 1st step I had to do

cd sbin

mount -uw /

That was the only way the mv command was accepted.

After doing the r2d2.kext move I typed (and that's the thing !)

sh /etc/rc -x

My machine halted at some point but I ignored it and did a cold reboot to safe mode (this time the usual -x)

(The point for me was that the r2d2 move is not permanent even though I saw it in the Extensions folder. When I did a cold reboot immediately it went back to Exrensions.)

voilà Now I can try the GMA patch...

L8rz

excuse me.. I am having the GMA problem, the Finder bar and dashboard keeps on flashing and disappearing all the time no matter it is by normal boot or safe boot, nothing can be clicked actually..

As I'm not familiar with unix's commands, I hope that you can kindly give me some help in the commands. Thanks in advance.

As mentioned in JaS's official blog:

1. "While in safe boot mode, mount the 10.4.6/10.4.7 JaS install DVD"

Which safe mode? (-x? or -f -s -x? or -f -s? or -v -f -s -x? what do all these symbols mean actually?)

Is it supposed to be a safe mode totally in text? Or a safe mode with GUI?

How do I mount the DVD? My OSX wouldn't automount in safe mode.. And I could not press any button on the Finder bar and the dashboard, so I couldn't start the Terminal at all.

So, it seems that my only way is to go to the safe mode in text. If it is in text safe mode, what is the command for mounting dvd?

2. "Run the following package: /System/Installation/Packages/10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg"

How do I run the package in text mode? please tell me the command and what should I do.

3. "Run Disk Utility, repair permissions and reboot."

How do I run disk utiltity and repair the permissions by typing commands? What's the command for reboot?

P.S. r2d2.kext has already been moved to exrension to extension, no problem with blue screen.

Thanks!

Leo

I think I should post my problem in this thread...fits better to the topic. So sorry for a second post.

Here is it:

My PC specs:

-Asus P5LD2-Deluxe

-1st HD on PRI-IDE: 120gig Maxtor with Windows XP Prof SP2 (2 partitions) -Master

Samsung WriteMaster -Slave

-2nd HD on S-ATA (Master) 200gig Samsung SP2004C with JaS 10.4.7 (working until now!!)

-Geforce 4 MX 4000 (PCI card, working with MacVidia 1.0.7)

-512 PC533 Ram

-Apple Pro keybrd and mouse

Well...I installed the JaS 10.4.8 Combo Update for Intel SSE3 this morning. Before that, I had JaS 10.4.7 running without any conflict.

If I want to boot, OSX presents me this on the screen:

....beginnig here with the MacVidia drivers....

NV: MacVidia Driver Version 1.0.7

NV: CRT Monitor Detected On Output: A

Apple 16x50ACPI1: Identified Serial Port On ACPI Device=UAR1

Apple 16x50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

pci8086,27d8: family specific matching fails

Oct 19 12:07:45 kextd[31]: kextd_watch_volumes: couldn't set up diskarb sessions

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: ICH7 ATA/100 (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xffa0)

WARNING: ATA Drive claims FLUSH CACHE EXT feature support but does not claim Extended LBA feature support

AppleIntelPIIXPATA: 80-conductor cable not detected on primary channel

...end....here it hangs....

So, first I tried the Blue Screen fix JaS mentioned, but here the RSD2.kext can't be loaded (this is also written while OSX is booting).

If I doing the fix it continues booting until it hangs with my Marvell Miniport ethernet driver (there is written yukonosx, so I think its the one because under XP it calls the adapter Yukon too).

Now really f*#§"ed up is that my Ethernet adapter won't be regocnized under XP anymore...I tried everything to get it working again. Nothing helps.

MacDrive 6.1.5 warns me under XP that it sets my OSX HD to read-only because of an system failure and say I should re-install OSX on this disk.

Please let me know how I can fix the booting under OSX or what else I have to turn off in the MoBos BIOS (Ethernet, Audio etc.).

I'm feeling really pi$$ed off by this!

1. "While in safe boot mode, mount the 10.4.6/10.4.7 JaS install DVD"

Which safe mode? (-x? or -f -s -x? or -f -s? or -v -f -s -x? what do all these symbols mean actually?)

Is it supposed to be a safe mode totally in text? Or a safe mode with GUI?

How do I mount the DVD? My OSX wouldn't automount in safe mode.. And I could not press any button on the Finder bar and the dashboard, so I couldn't start the Terminal at all.

Just boot in safe mode with -x option. Mount the DVD with Disk Utility.app under Applications->Utilities. Launch it, and you’ll see all connected but unmounted drives listed in the column on the left of its window. Select the desired volume and click on the Mount button in the toolbar, and your drive is back in action. Navigate to /System/Installation/Packages and run 10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg (double-click).

3. "Run Disk Utility, repair permissions and reboot."

How do I run disk utiltity and repair the permissions by typing commands?

While in graphic mode, with Disk Utility, select your primary partition holding your system and hit the repair permissions button.

YES!! I made it.... it was some work but now the rsds kernel is working.

After doing theGMA support, repairing permissions I saw that my Display is working in 1024x768.

What's happened to my MacVidia engine? Just doing another repair of the disk permissions and install of MacVidia again?

If I solved this everything will work fine again (I hope)....I'm so thankful to the support in this forum. Great!

UPDATE:

###Problem isn't anymore! Now everything works fine. One idea for MacVidia users who have problems even after the BlueScreen/GMA fix: Don't forget to disable the IONDRVSupport.kext in your extensions library! Otherwise you will have massive problems with your graphics. I run MacVidia 1.0.7 - don't know how this is with 1.0.8 (and still don't want to use 1.0.8 again because otherwise my Eye TV won't work) ###

Just boot in safe mode with -x option. Mount the DVD with Disk Utility.app under Applications->Utilities. Launch it, and you’ll see all connected but unmounted drives listed in the column on the left of its window. Select the desired volume and click on the Mount button in the toolbar, and your drive is back in action. Navigate to /System/Installation/Packages and run 10.4.7.GMA900.Support.pkg (double-click).

While in graphic mode, with Disk Utility, select your primary partition holding your system and hit the repair permissions button.

Thanks for the detailed description.

However, I don't have the GUI at all now.. how can I do all those clickings?

Please advice whether I can do all those actions in the text safe mode.

Leo