[SUCCESS] 10.10.3 on GA-EP45-DSEL

17 posts in this topic

Well, within 24 hours of vowing never to attempt a Yosemite install again, here is my working Gigabyte GA-EP45-DSEL running 10.10.3 Yosemite.

I was gifted the motherboard, and added 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, put it in my old P5KPL-CM case (with sata HDD and DVD-RW) with a 1GB GeForce 9500 GT. Only a measly 350W power supply, but all I need at the moment.

I found a perfect dsdt.aml file on this wonderful site, and apart from teething problems with OpenGL (even though the correct NVIDIA drivers were loading, only a small amount of screensavers were available, and grid mode in the Dock was ridiculously slow. I used Pacifist to overwrite/update all apparent drivers, and also all frameworks which might be used. Used Disk Utility to repair disk permissions (there were always some important ones without execute permissions). I removed ApplePolicyControl, AppleTymce.kext, AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, and updated kextcache.

All is wonderful now, even with only 4GB RAM (there are 4 RAM slots for 8GB, or even 16GB apparently - I have never seen a 4GB DDR2 stick, but I guess they made them for some servers).

Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Wake work magnificently, as does the pitiful two-stage speedstep on my Core-2-Duo 8300 (2.83GHz).

Using MacPro3,1 SMBios.plist from Chameleon Wizard. Also using USBBusFix, darkwake=0, GraphicsEnabler=No as startup flags.

Like the previous Asus experiment, I was getting blackscreen on launch, and the only way to fix this was to remove GeForce* and NVDA* kexts temporarily. I injected the graphics card with hex string into device-properties in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, but after installing fileNVRAM kext and module, I could remove this and start with GraphicsEnabler=No and no injection, and it still has the custom name I set in the hex string?! weird, but handy.

I currently have the machine sleeping for 24 hours, to see how it works when I resume. Waking is instantaneous, which is amazing. I have not used pmset to fix all the settings, so it is probably using safe-sleep at the moment.

Many thanks to the original authors of the DSDT file here. I am also considering downloading the Cartri MOD BIOS for this motherboard... which apparently makes it even more mac-like and compatible.

More news as it emerges.

PS. I *HAD* to patch AppleRTC to prevent CMOS reset on every boot !!!

To get to the point where I could do that, I just reset all the BIOS settings on each reboot, rebooted again, and I could get back into OSX to patch RTC :-)

775 architecture is quite old but you should upgrade your dual core to quad core. They are very cheap on eBay. Something like q6600 paired with 5770 will make it work like real MacPro 3,1 and can be bought for very little money.

thanks luki1979, that is exactly what I am looking for. Going to try and max-out the RAM before that tho - 4GB just isn't enough for this computer. I also need a multi-card-reader (with USB2.0) for the front panel - it needs to be full optical-width, as there is no floppy breakout on this case.

Maxed out RAM with 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2 (instead of old 667MHz). Got a GTS 450 installed now, going to try the AGPM kext edit to get this working all the time (possibly with EFI hex string, or with GE=Yes). Fingers crossed... Also, I will change SMBIOS to iMac9.1 for better Socket 775 support.

Well, within 24 hours of vowing never to attempt a Yosemite install again, here is my working Gigabyte GA-EP45-DSEL running 10.10.3 Yosemite.

I was gifted the motherboard, and added 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, put it in my old P5KPL-CM case (with sata HDD and DVD-RW) with a 1GB GeForce 9500 GT. Only a measly 350W power supply, but all I need at the moment.

I found a perfect dsdt.aml file on this wonderful site, and apart from teething problems with OpenGL (even though the correct NVIDIA drivers were loading, only a small amount of screensavers were available, and grid mode in the Dock was ridiculously slow. I used Pacifist to overwrite/update all apparent drivers, and also all frameworks which might be used. Used Disk Utility to repair disk permissions (there were always some important ones without execute permissions). I removed ApplePolicyControl, AppleTymce.kext, AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext, and updated kextcache.

All is wonderful now, even with only 4GB RAM (there are 4 RAM slots for 8GB, or even 16GB apparently - I have never seen a 4GB DDR2 stick, but I guess they made them for some servers).

Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Wake work magnificently, as does the pitiful two-stage speedstep on my Core-2-Duo 8300 (2.83GHz).

Using MacPro3,1 SMBios.plist from Chameleon Wizard. Also using USBBusFix, darkwake=0, GraphicsEnabler=No as startup flags.

Like the previous Asus experiment, I was getting blackscreen on launch, and the only way to fix this was to remove GeForce* and NVDA* kexts temporarily. I injected the graphics card with hex string into device-properties in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, but after installing fileNVRAM kext and module, I could remove this and start with GraphicsEnabler=No and no injection, and it still has the custom name I set in the hex string?! weird, but handy.

I currently have the machine sleeping for 24 hours, to see how it works when I resume. Waking is instantaneous, which is amazing. I have not used pmset to fix all the settings, so it is probably using safe-sleep at the moment.

Many thanks to the original authors of the DSDT file here. I am also considering downloading the Cartri MOD BIOS for this motherboard... which apparently makes it even more mac-like and compatible.

More news as it emerges.

Had you previously used a similar / similar-era C2D Motherboard as a Hackintosh?  I belive your Motherboard is the same era as my Gigabyte  G41M-ES2L micro atx.  I am still on Mavericks and since most of the Yosemite threads are for newer builds, I might try the method you used if it seems compatible with the Northbridge on my Hack.  I hope you can post more of the steps you took to get your system working.

I have been lazy and been hoping for a simpler installer like myHack Kakewalk or Stella rolla. :blush:  

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-support/123472-gigabyte-g41m-es2l-mavericks-install-guide.html

You could try that with Mavericks first (and note the kexts/fixes selected in Mavericks [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] settings), then try it with Yosemite, using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and the kexts in new [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I would personally stick with Mavericks 10.9.5 due to performance (I believe I have downgraded my DS3L back to 10.9.5 already)

• 1 month later...

dangit, I had to throw this motherboard away. It was crashing/freezing at random (which is really strange, as it worked great before I went back to Win7 64).

It was only happening a few minutes in, but fan speeds did not change, so probably not an overheat. Think it was a cracked board, so salvaged everything off it, and dumped it :-(

I thought it may have been my 9500 GT, but it is working fine in another build.

Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open for another old compatible Gigabyte board (with DSDT available) :-)

Where abouts did you find the dsdt? I have a GA-P35-DS3R board with Q6600 and not having much luck, either beachball at grey screen before installn starts or nothing is copied over :-/ so its nice to see sucess with a similar board though I'm currently on Lion with this board with no issues.

I have 8800GT in but a 460GTX ready to go in as well when I can have any length of time to get into the PC.  Any other tips or help pointers?

• 1 month later...

I have GA EP-45 UD3P mobo +E8400 CPU+ Gigabyte ATI HD4850 512g + 8G ram. And I had successed install Yosemite 10.10.5 & Mavericks 10.9.5.. on 2 seperate partitions . I had patched AMD4800Controller.kext, AppleRTC.kext & ATIRadeonX2000.kext. Smbios which I use is iMac 9.1. I also change  sound layout id to 0x42 in dsdt.aml without patching AppleHDA.kext. Sleep,speed-stepping (24,28,32,34) ,sound all working.

• 2 weeks later...

it is always better to create a dsdt for their own system. Little things like another BIOS update, can already lead to boot problem, even if the hardware is identical. Therefore, create your own DSDT.

download MacIasl.app or DSDT-Editor.app, run one of the above-mentioned app's. generating with the tool a dsdt and save the raw dsdt as dsdt.dsl, then start the integrated compiler and work every error gradually. Then gradually install the required patches for your hardware. ... After each patch the compiler start to avoid unnecessary errors. by a guide you have to google it. The operation of the tool is self-explanatory, the repair of faults and patch that requires good knowledge ....

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: I have replaced with GA-EP45-DS3L, with same 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, and 512MB GeForce 9800 GT.

Also updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.3

I needed to decompile old (10.6) minimal DSDT.aml and recompile under Sierra (using RehabMan's MaciASL). Otherwise it would kernel panic on boot.

Restart/shutdown takes a little longer than before... but besides that, seems to be working 100% with full ethernet/audio/video/power states and wake/sleep

;-)