[FIX] Fix for black screen on AMD 7XXX cards!

IntelFanatic

122 posts in this topic

rollback of this kext to sierra to high sierra

AMDRadeonX4000.kext

AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.bundle

IOAccelerator2D.plugin

IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext . 

then

sudo rm -/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -/

work to me with 7750 and 7950

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325279-ati-7750-1013/page-2

ok. this works for me too! I have an AMD 7770 1GB GHz Edition (i think sapphire)...

I dont know why at the login screen there isnt the wallpaper desktop but a red screen but I can login the same... its working very well but not at 100% and now I have some crush that I think it's caused by the gpu because before the reboot sometimes appear a monochrome screen with vertical stripes and then reboot automatically 

• Like 1

hi

try putting this kext in efi.

when did you rollback you fix permissions?

to terminal:

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

i'm trying to use this command in the terminal thanks. i forgot to tell you that I'm on high sierra 10.13.1. this kext file is for?

anyway i dunnow why the same problem starts also on el capitan where I did havent any problems! so i start to thinking that there's some hardware problem. XD

i'm trying to use this command in the terminal thanks. i forgot to tell you that I'm on high sierra 10.13.1. this kext file is for?

anyway i dunnow why the same problem starts also on el capitan where I did havent any problems! so i start to thinking that there's some hardware problem. XD

Verde and WhateverGreen not work on High Siera 10.13.1.

For graphics AMD 7xxx working on 10.13.1, you need to copy kext ATIX4000 to desktop and edit the info.plist file as in the info file of verder kext.

If dont working, i will send you kext ATIX4000 (10.13.1).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Verde and WhateverGreen not work on High Siera 10.13.1.

For graphics AMD 7xxx working on 10.13.1, you need to copy kext ATIX4000 to desktop and edit the info.plist file as in the info file of verder kext.

If dont working, i will send you kext ATIX4000 (10.13.1).

maybe there is the same solution for 10.13.2? i have to edit atix4000? now it's working but without qe/ci and everything is slow like its rendering everything xD

may you help me? i dont know how to edit the kext file, what strings i have to copy from verdekext?

here a video of my situation right now :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm38jOUC7nw

This in the video is using old kext from Sierra.

UPDATE! SOLVED! Using original kext of high sierra 10.3.2 

AMDRadeonX4000.kext
IOAccelerator2D.plugin

and using WhateverGreen e Lilu kext for 10.13.2, the last version with the boot argument on clover "radpg=15"

anyone knows a way to make working the dvi connector? i have an amd 7770 1gb. working with WhateverGreen and Lilu on hdmi. I have already try boot argument "-raddvi" but its not working :(

• 4 months later...
On 08/12/2017 at 9:01 AM, Vorshim92 said:

ATUALIZAR! RESOLVIDO! Usando o kext original da alta serra 10.3.2 

e usando o WhateverGreen e Lilu kext para 10.13.2, a última versão com o argumento boot no trevo "radpg = 15"

alguém sabe uma maneira de fazer funcionar o conector dvi? Eu tenho um AMD 7770 1GB. trabalhando com o WhateverGreen e Lilu no hdmi. Eu já tentei o argumento de inicialização "-raddvi", mas não está funcionando:(

Can someone help me?

I have an HP PRODESK 400 G4
Corei5 7500
4GB
video card AMD R5 230 Caicos 6450

I can not put the video card to work on High Sierra. Can you tell me which kext to use?

I discovered the id of my board through this link >>https://github.com/Clover-EFI-Bootloader/clover/blob/master/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/ati.c

• 1 month later...

I am asking about the current status of Cape Verde cards under Sierra. I'm aware of verde.kext, also have read about the no waking from sleep workaround using Whatevergreen. But I have also read that the black screen on boot AND no wakeup from sleep issues have been addressed in current builds of Clover based upon the work by Mieze, and that setting Radeon deinit=true fixes both issues. However, this seems to be for 3rd & 4th generation GCN cards. Am I correct to assume it doesn't work on a 1st generation GCN card?

My first attempt at a Hackintosh is a Dell XPS 8500 with a Dell OEM 2 GB Radeon HD 7770, and I'm trying to get off to the best possible start. Everything else about this desktop is reported to be relatively painless.

I suppose I should also inquire as to whether High Sierra would make this project easer, or not.

Thanks

Dell XPS 8500

Core i7-3770- 3.4 GHz

12 GB DDR3 RAM

Dell Bios A12- UEFI capable

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 8:37 AM, Crazzak said:

Have anybody a solution for the Black Screen issue ? On the Versions 13.6, Sierra.kexts and We+Lilu or Patched Framebuffer not work 

On what hardware?

Asrock G41M-VS3, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB RAM DDR3-1333,Sapphire HD7770 Ghz OC Edition Gop Rom.

The last Thing i try now to Patch the Framebuffer i get now a Screen "but" when i use "FakeID 1002683D" so there is no GPU Acceleration working and OSX shows that it has a HD7770 whit 6mb ram.
When i try the Orginal ID "683D1002" the Screen stays black its very strange Thing, i use a HDMI Cable on the DVI Port the Card is not working to
I tried flash the Card to a Powercolor that is not working too.

PS I Use AptioMemoryFix should i try Emuvariable64 ?

Edited by Crazzak

Can anyone help me with device id: 6820 R9 M375X (amd firepro w5170m) I can boot into the OS just fine either using the verde.kext or whatevergreen.kext with radpg=15. The issue I am having is Framebuffer depth; I am getting color banding as if the frame buffer isn't loading correctly. If I try to spoof an AMD card in 8000 or 6000 Controller the color banding actually goes away, but then I don't have acceleration. Whenever my system loads from the AMD7000Controller I have color banding.. My system is a laptop with the AMD dedicated card, and I have the intel ogpu disabled. Been spending a LONG time on this.. can't solve it. 

Any info would be amazing! :D

Here is a picture of the color banding; its low color depth.

The only way this goes away is either on a different monitor through an external port or if I spoof an 8000 or 6000 card... but then no acceleration 

***HAHA I just realized you can't see the color banding from the screen shot on a different screen. But to describe the issue, the gradient picture below has lines in between each color change, it's not a smooth gradient

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 12.29.41 PM.png

Edited by yamahahornist

• 7 months later...
On 10/22/2017 at 8:36 AM, MARZILLO said:

rollback of this kext to sierra to high sierra

AMDRadeonX4000.kext

IOAccelerator2D.plugin

then

sudo rm -/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -/

work to me with 7750 and 7950

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325279-ati-7750-1013/page-2

Please help me with my 6450. I have replaced kexts and I get no full hd resolution and no acceleration. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 12:18 AM, PHV said:

Please help me with my 6450. I have replaced kexts and I get no full hd resolution and no acceleration. 

For 6450 there should be X3000.

• 1 year later...

Hi. Reviving this old thread just to share the fix for my non-working DVI/DP on HD7750.

Hardware:

•     Sapphire HD 7750 Ultimate 1GB (fanless) [1x DP, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI]
  •     Gigabyte Z77-D3H rev1.0 bios@f23b
  •     Ivy Bridge 3770K [HD4000 iGPU]

Software:

•     Catalina 10.15.7
  •     SMBIOS iMac13,2
  •     iGPU enabled, frameless
  •     UEFI boot, CSM=off
  •     OpenCore 0.6.7
  •     Lilu 1.5.1 + WhateverGreen 1.4.8, CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating=enable

Short version

Non-UEFI GOP on GPU rom was silently causing automatically CSM=enabled enforcement by motherboard bios on boot/post. Only HDMI worked in this context.
Solution: Adding UEFI GOP support on GPU rom allowed to fully disable CSM and do proper initialization of GPU: all displays working, sleep/wake working.

Long version

With WEG boot flag radpg=15 (which actually enables CAIL_DisableDrmdmaPowerGating, CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating, CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating and CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating) I was getting the following behaviour: HDMI working, DVI/DP not working (black screen / signal out of range / infinite display signal resync loop).

Boot flag -raddvi doesn't helped to get DVI working neither, but according to WEG logging it was supposedly correcting the DVI digital transmitter for good.

With HDMI + DVI both connected, HDMI still worked, DVI was black screen, but some graphical glitches/serious tearing appeared on HDMI screen, and I could see DVI display correctly identified and active in IORegistryExplorer.

WEG FAQ states:

* What are the hardware requirements for WhateverGreen?
Full UEFI without CSM. You are strongly recommended to flash a UEFI-compatible ROM unless your card already has it. Failing to do so will quite likely result in issues in multi-monitor configurations and possibly even in single-monitor configurations. It may still work for non-UEFI motherboards, try at your own risk. There are known issues when using 2 or more GPUs in multi-monitor configurations.

My card didn't seem to have an UEFI rom according to GPU-Z on Windows.
Therefore (as I later found out), despite setting CSM=disabled in GA-Z77-D3H bios it was automatically reverting back to CSM=enabled (with legacy support) on boot...

Following up, I got it working :)

First, I discovered that booting with HDMI display only connected (already working), then doing sleep -> wake, then hotpluging DVI / DP, everything worked ok (displays came alive).

Further reading got me at Mieze's research on GPU initialization problems related to Legacy VBIOS or UEFI:

So I reinforced the idea of a GPU re/initialization problem.

As suspected, the problem was indeed the non-UEFI support in GPU rom.

I added UEFI GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) to GPU rom using a tool by lordkag: https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html

The lordkag tool produced a binary identical (padding aside) rom to this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/210668/210668
(WARNING: I recommend flashing only your own modded rom based on your original rom dump; I'm just sharing this in case someone wanna try [no warranty, try at your own risk] and skip the dump+mod process for this same GPU brand/model)

Before modding, booting with CSM=disabled in GA-Z77-D3H bios was automatically reverting back to CSM=enabled (with legacy support).
Now after modding the GPU rom with GOP UEFI support, the UEFI CSM in GA-Z77-D3H stays disabled during boot.

A new behaviour after modding is that only one screen display gets initialized during the AMI bios boot screen / bios setup in my HDMI+DVI connected setup, before mod both screens were on displaying this.

After initial AMI boot/post screen, everything stays like before, only HDMI displaying OpenCore boot, osx log, etc, but then UI comes alive in ALL SCREENS without sleep+wake trick, without gfx glitches, all good...

Sleep & wake still works ok with no problems like before. BTW, DP works but may still require some fine tunning / fixes, it's misbehaving sometimes while hotpluging it (switching monitor inputs, turn on / off display may get it working I believe <- I will not investigate this further as I don't plan to use DP anyway for now).

Finally, this eGPU only required CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating=true, so no need for radpg=15 (which enables CAIL_DisableDrmdmaPowerGating, CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating, CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating and CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating) to make it work.

So, it appears all came down to the problem of non-UEFI VBIOS (which probably causes problems in the re/initialization of the device when osx takes control as Mieze suspected) and CSM silently being re-enabled by mobo on boot.

Solution: Adding UEFI GOP support on GPU rom allowed to fully disable CSM and do proper initialization of GPU: all displays working, sleep/wake working.

Edited by alfredqwe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 1:28 AM, alfredqwe said:

Hi. Reviving this old thread just to share the fix for my non-working DVI/DP on HD7750.

Hardware:

Software:

•     Catalina 10.15.7
  •     SMBIOS iMac13,2
  •     UEFI boot, CSM=off
  •     OpenCore 0.6.7

Short version

Non-UEFI GOP on GPU rom was silently causing automatically CSM=enabled enforcement by motherboard bios on boot/post. Only HDMI worked in this context.

Long version

With WEG boot flag radpg=15 (which actually enables CAIL_DisableDrmdmaPowerGating, CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating, CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating and CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating) I was getting the following behaviour: HDMI working, DVI/DP not working (black screen / signal out of range / infinite display signal resync loop).

Boot flag -raddvi doesn't helped to get DVI working neither, but according to WEG logging it was supposedly correcting the DVI digital transmitter for good.

With HDMI + DVI both connected, HDMI still worked, DVI was black screen, but some graphical glitches/serious tearing appeared on HDMI screen, and I could see DVI display correctly identified and active in IORegistryExplorer.

WEG FAQ states:

Therefore (as I later found out), despite setting CSM=disabled in GA-Z77-D3H bios it was automatically reverting back to CSM=enabled (with legacy support) on boot...

First, I discovered that booting with HDMI display only connected (already working), then doing sleep -> wake, then hotpluging DVI / DP, everything worked ok (displays came alive).

Further reading got me at Mieze's research on GPU initialization problems related to Legacy VBIOS or UEFI:

I added UEFI GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) to GPU rom using a tool by lordkag: https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html

The lordkag tool produced a binary identical (padding aside) rom to this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/210668/210668
(WARNING: I recommend flashing only your own modded rom based on your original rom dump; I'm just sharing this in case someone wanna try [no warranty, try at your own risk] and skip the dump+mod process for this same GPU brand/model)

Before modding, booting with CSM=disabled in GA-Z77-D3H bios was automatically reverting back to CSM=enabled (with legacy support).
Now after modding the GPU rom with GOP UEFI support, the UEFI CSM in GA-Z77-D3H stays disabled during boot.

A new behaviour after modding is that only one screen display gets initialized during the AMI bios boot screen / bios setup in my HDMI+DVI connected setup, before mod both screens were on displaying this.

After initial AMI boot/post screen, everything stays like before, only HDMI displaying OpenCore boot, osx log, etc, but then UI comes alive in ALL SCREENS without sleep+wake trick, without gfx glitches, all good...

Sleep & wake still works ok with no problems like before. BTW, DP works but may still require some fine tunning / fixes, it's misbehaving sometimes while hotpluging it (switching monitor inputs, turn on / off display may get it working I believe <- I will not investigate this further as I don't plan to use DP anyway for now).

Finally, this eGPU only required CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating=true, so no need for radpg=15 (which enables CAIL_DisableDrmdmaPowerGating, CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating, CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating and CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating) to make it work.

So, it appears all came down to the problem of non-UEFI VBIOS (which probably causes problems in the re/initialization of the device when osx takes control as Mieze suspected) and CSM silently being re-enabled by mobo on boot.

REALLY REALLY THANKS! I follow the guide to add the GOP on my 660 nvidia and 770 and it works! I can now disable CSM!! <3 THANKS!

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2021 at 5:58 AM, alfredqwe said:

Hardware:

Software:

•     Catalina 10.15.7
  •     SMBIOS iMac13,2
  •     UEFI boot, CSM=off
  •     OpenCore 0.6.7

Short version

Long version

WEG FAQ states:

Our GPU same ... my system perfectly sleep, I found error on wake with black screen... I need your suggestion. 

16 hours ago, avinashsharmataj said:

Our GPU same ... my system perfectly sleep, I found error on wake with black screen... I need your suggestion. 

Make please your signature. I don't see "same GPU". Also tell about macOS version, it depends.