• You Guys
    • Y'all
    • You all
    • Youse/yous
    • you lot
    • just "you"
    • other (please specify in reply)

3 posts in this topic

I use y'all, or omit the apostrophe to just yall. And I am a northern boy in the United States, not southern.

The reason is simple: I respect women and dont let my disdain of southern culture rule the way that I speak. If there is a good word, then I use it. Y'all is simply a very good word that allows for a genderless plural. Youse isnt that popular and likely wont make a dent in our language.

"y'all" sounds and looks ignorant. 

I have to ask what your obsession with these 2 words are? You have been going on about this for long time and I don't understand the reason..

I have to assume that Language Arts is not a profession for you or you would know that y'all is not proper english and would refuse to use it.

"y'all" sounds and looks ignorant. 

I dare you to go up to Obama and tell him that him saying Yall makes him look ignorant.

I have to ask what your obsession with these 2 words are? You have been going on about this for long time and I don't understand the reason..

Your guess is as good as mine

I have to assume that Language Arts is not a profession for you or you would know that y'all is not proper english and would refuse to use it.

No it isnt a profession for me, but a few professionals do use it. Professor John McWhorter is an excellent example of this. He is a linguist who supports using Yall. And as it being non-proper English, that is true (It is dialectal at this moment with southern and black culture). But English is a language of change. 

Also, can this get moved to Thunderdome please? I wasnt sure where to post it at first but now I know the appropriate forum.