[Clover] Cannot boot any non OS X operating system

buttcrap

3 posts in this topic

I'm experiencing an issue in Clover; I can boot OS X just fine, but if I try to select any Windows install whether legacy or UEFI it will stop immediately.

I don't care about booting my legacy Windows 7 installs, but I do want to use Clover to boot my Windows 10TP Rufus Installer USB stick in EFI mode to have an all GPT disk on my BIOS-only machine. 

I always make my Windows installers with Rufus in Windows 10TP, from a respective ISO image.

I used fusion71au's advice found in post #5 in this thread to get the Windows EFI to show in Clover, but when I hit space and then select 'run bootmgfw.efi', Clover will instantly hang until I press another key, at which point it will 'refresh' back to the Clover boot selection screen. It ALMOST looks like it's loading something, but then you hit another key and it just goes back to the previous screen.

Here's what I've tried to get around this:

I've tried different USB ports. (tend to stick to my USB 2.0 though)

I've tried different USB settings in my BIOS. (not a lot to change.)

I've unlocked my BIOS to look for more settings. (still not a lot)

I've tried different USB Sticks 

I've tried to select both GPT for UEFI machines as well as MBR for UEFI and BIOS in Rufus (same result)

I've tried this with both the Windows 10TP installer and the Windows 7 installer. (Same result)

I've tried several different versions of Clover. Currently have one stick that's running 3168 and one that if I remember correctly is running 2999. (Same result)

I'm going to make a video right after I post this, but it feels like I've exhausted every option here. Has anyone experienced something similar while using Clover? I wanna say that this is the last little hurdle I have before finally obtaining an all-GPT, BIOS only machine, and I've been struggling with this one for quite awhile, so even the smallest amount of advice is greatly appreciated. 

The video I'm going to post here is using Clover r3168 and does not ever show Legacy Windows installs which I do have a couple of, one on each of my two internal HDD's. It doesn't matter for what I'm doing, but regardless I don't know why that is and very well could be inline with the same configuration that is causing Clover to not boot those and other Windows installations. My other stick shows them just fine, but doesn't have a theme.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/t6_4RBuOgbQ

I even just started running through, selectinhg 'bootmgr.efi' again and again and just slapped one of the keys to get it to 'refresh'. 

Any one have any advice for this one?

I'm experiencing an issue in Clover; I can boot OS X just fine, but if I try to select any Windows install whether legacy or UEFI it will stop immediately.

I don't care about booting my legacy Windows 7 installs, but I do want to use Clover to boot my Windows 10TP Rufus Installer USB stick in EFI mode to have an all GPT disk on my BIOS-only machine. 

I always make my Windows installers with Rufus in Windows 10TP, from a respective ISO image.

I used fusion71au's advice found in post #5 in this thread to get the Windows EFI to show in Clover, but when I hit space and then select 'run bootmgfw.efi', Clover will instantly hang until I press another key, at which point it will 'refresh' back to the Clover boot selection screen. It ALMOST looks like it's loading something, but then you hit another key and it just goes back to the previous screen.

Here's what I've tried to get around this:

I've tried different USB ports. (tend to stick to my USB 2.0 though)

I've tried different USB settings in my BIOS. (not a lot to change.)

I've unlocked my BIOS to look for more settings. (still not a lot)

I've tried different USB Sticks 

I've tried to select both GPT for UEFI machines as well as MBR for UEFI and BIOS in Rufus (same result)

I've tried this with both the Windows 10TP installer and the Windows 7 installer. (Same result)

I've tried several different versions of Clover. Currently have one stick that's running 3168 and one that if I remember correctly is running 2999. (Same result)

I'm going to make a video right after I post this, but it feels like I've exhausted every option here. Has anyone experienced something similar while using Clover? I wanna say that this is the last little hurdle I have before finally obtaining an all-GPT, BIOS only machine, and I've been struggling with this one for quite awhile, so even the smallest amount of advice is greatly appreciated. 

The video I'm going to post here is using Clover r3168 and does not ever show Legacy Windows installs which I do have a couple of, one on each of my two internal HDD's. It doesn't matter for what I'm doing, but regardless I don't know why that is and very well could be inline with the same configuration that is causing Clover to not boot those and other Windows installations. My other stick shows them just fine, but doesn't have a theme.

Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/t6_4RBuOgbQ

I even just started running through, selectinhg 'bootmgr.efi' again and again and just slapped one of the keys to get it to 'refresh'. 

Any one have any advice for this one?

lol .. Reboot and select boot option and boot with uefi USB .. 

@buttcrap,

Its quite obvious you haven't followed directions properly from post#5 and copied bootmgfw.efi into /efi/microsoft/boot of your installer USB (step no 2 under "workaround").  In the video, you are trying to run bootmgr.efi whereas you need bootmgfw.efi...

For the Windows 8 or 10 installer, there should be a bootx64.efi in the efi/boot folder:  copy this file into the efi/microsoft/boot folder and rename it bootmgfw.efi.

For Windows 7, you can extract bootmgfw.efi from the "install.wim" using 7-Zip (open the iso and navigate to sources/install.wim/1/Windows/Boot/EFI/bootmgfw.efi).

PS please stop posting new threads for the same problem :wallbash: ...you should post what you did in the original thread so others can help :).