[GUIDE] Intel HD Graphics 5500 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Austere.J

49 posts in this topic

After several weeks' work with @lisai9093, now it's time to post a guide. :)  

GUIDE: Intel HD Graphics 5500 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3  

Snip20150416_7.png

Before we get started:

The basic idea to make Broadwell's integrated graphics card work does not change. If you have Intel HD Graphics 5300 or other IGPU models supported by AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer.kext, you can try it by yourself.

Brief Introduction:

The basic idea to let Intel HD Graphics 5500 work is still injecting AAPL, ig-platform-id.

However, Apple raised the minimum stolen memory in the AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer binary of OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. Kernel panic will happen if the DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is lower than 66MB. This is not a big deal for Desktop PCs users, because one can easily change the DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS.

But this is catastrophic for laptop users, because

(1) the default value of DVMT pre-allocated memory in most laptops BIOS is 32MB.

(2) OEM will not unlock these advanced settings/menus for us.

(3) We can try to modify BIOS but cannot pass the security check during flashing modified BIOS.

Detailed Step-by-step guide:

STEP 1: Check the current DVMT pre-allocated memory size.

Open the Screen Resolution window, click the Advanced settings and check Dedicated Video Memory.

Snip20150416_5.png

After I played with changing DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS, the following pattern can be found.

If Dedicated Video Memory = 0MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 32MB.

If Dedicated Video Memory = 32MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 64MB.

If Dedicated Video Memory = 64MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 96MB.

If Dedicated Video Memory = 128MB, then DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is 128MB.

TABLES: Relationship between Dedicated Video Memory detected by OS and DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings.

Snip20150416_9.png

In general, if DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is less or equal to 96MB, the StolenMemory that could be detected by OS is (DVMT - 32) MB.

If DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS settings is larger or equal to 128MB, the StolenMemory that could be detected by OS is (DVMT) MB. (equal to the value of DVMT pre-allocated memory)

Now let's come back to our main topic, Dedicated Video Memory >=64MB (i.e. DVMT pre-allocated memory >= 96MB) will pass the assertion/kernel panic.

Note that OS X can not boot on some laptops if DVMT pre-allocated memory is >= 128MB.

Therefore, if your current DVMT pre-allocated memory size <= 64MB (i.e. Dedicated Video Memory <= 32MB), you can either choose using our patch in STEP 2.1 or changing DVMT pre-allocated setting in STEP 2.2

STEP 2.1: Apply the patch to pass the Stolen Memory assertion.

We need to patch AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer binary file.

Find 39CF763C and replace it with 39CF773C.

After using this patch, in theory you don't have to change your BIOS settings. You can try to inject ig-platform-id and see what happens.

If you encounter some problems, try to modify Framebuffer data in AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer binary.

Detailed information on Broadwell's framebuffer can be found on this page.

STEP 2.2: Using EFI Shell to change DVMT settings in BIOS.

(1) Prepare a bootable USB drive with EFI Shell

Prepare a USB stick and format it with FAT32 filesystem.

Download this EFI shell and you can find a folder named BOOT after extracting.

Copy this BOOT folder to your USB stick.

(2) Dump/Fetch a completed BIOS file.

You can use specific BIOS utility to save a copy of your BIOS on Desktop.

e.g. For AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS, you can use AMI BIOS Utility.

(3) Extract BIOS Settings from a BIOS file.

Download UEFITools from https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases

Open your BIOS file with UEFITools.

Find the module labeled with Setup and extract the PE32 image section in this module as a binary file.

Snip20150416_2.png

Now, you will have a binary file on your Desktop. In my case, I name it Setup.bin.

Next, download the Universal IFR Extractor (Windows version only) from http://donovan6000.blogspot.ca/2014/02/universal-ifr-extractor.html or from here: Universal IFR Extractor.exe.

Open the Universal IFR Extractor in Windows, open the binary you just extracted from UEFITools and click Extract to save the BIOS settings in plain text format.

Snip20150416_3.png

Now open the extracted setup IFR.txt and find the keyword "DVMT".

And you can find the variable representing DVMT pre-allocated memory and its values.

Snip20150416_4.png

In this case, DVMT pre-allocated memory's variable is 0x1C3. The value of 96MB is 0x3. Record these two values.

Next, restart your computer and boot from the USB drive with EFI Shell.

Here, we use setup_var command to change our BIOS settings.

syntax: setup_var address value

OK, now type the command in EFI shell.

In this case, the command is setup_var 0x1C3 0x3. (Change the value of 0x1C3 to 0x3, which means changing the DVMT to 96MB.)

After changing the DVMT pre-allocated memory, go back to Windows and double check whether your current Dedicated Video Memory is 64MB. (96 - 32 = 64MB)

STEP 3: Injecting AAPL, ig-platform-id

You can use either Clover or DSDT/SSDTs to inject AAPL, ig-platform-id.

If you want to use Clover, let InjectIntel = True and ig-platform-id=0x16160002.

If you want to use DSDT/SSDT to inject AAPL, ig-platform-id, 0x16160002 is working fine.

Then open your DSDT, find Device (GFX0) or Device (IGPU) or Name (_ADR, 0x00020000) and add the Device-Specific Method.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                        {
                            Return (Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x03
                            })
                        }

Return (Package (0x08)
                        {
                            "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x16, 0x16, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x02, 0x00, 0x16, 0x16
                            }, 

"model", 
                            Buffer (0x17)
                            {
                                "Intel HD Graphics 5500"
                            }, 

"hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        })
                    }

Place your DSDT in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/

Restart your computer and you will find Intel HD Graphics 5500 is working now.

Some Issues you may encounter:

(1) Garbled Screen Issue

Enable Legacy Support in your BIOS settings.

(2) Screen Freeze Issue (GPU hang and restart)

Using FakeSMC 5.3.820 or other 5.x.xxx version will decrease the opportunity to freeze.

(Note that please delete CPUSensors.kext from FakeSMC.kext if you get kernel panic related to CPUSensors.kext)

Reference and Special Thanks:

Thanks to Rehabman for his advice on garbled screen issue.

Thanks to nguyenmac for his clues on freeze issue.

Thanks to sontrg for his direction to BIOS modification.

Thanks to Google for providing information. Thanks to the-darkvoid for his QHD+ Guide on HD4600.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The patch in grub does not work for me. I got the following message:

offset 0x18c: is 0x01

setting offset 0x18c to 0x03

error: can't set variable using EFI (error: 0x000000000000001a).

Yoga 2 Pro - i7 - HD4400

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

The patch in grub does not work for me. I got the following message:

offset 0x18c: is 0x01

setting offset 0x18c to 0x03

error: can't set variable using EFI (error: 0x000000000000001a).

Yoga 2 Pro - i7 - HD4400

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306402-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-hd4400-qhd-qeci-working/?hl=%2Byoga+%2Bpro+%2Bqhd%2B

You may have to revert your bios to the attached version.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello there i have recently bought a  Dell inspiron 15 3000  Model  3543 

it has a  

Core i3 Broadwell  5005U @ 2.0 Ghz  Cpu

and the graphics gpu are Intel HD 5500 Graphics 

i attach 2 images to make it clear 

21044766642_8bf2f9a76f_c.jpg

and a capture of my dedicated video memory

21044803842_15376fc4a7_o.png

so i need help i read the tutorial and says that if i have 128  i just need to edit  and use the first step  and  2.1 Only? or i have to  do all the steps and modifying my bios?

i read that this issue is fixed in el capitan,  may i know if i just  need to wait until the release of the  os, or it just el capitan fixes the freezes of the igpu?

i am a little bit confused and i will be so grateful if you can help me?

Thanks in Advance, Regards Henser Paredes

Looking at these dumps

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307856-haswell-yosemite-mavericks-ig-platform-id-info/

I have a doubt that 

ig-platform-id=0x16160002

can be used in 10.10.5. The value is unknown for Yosemite.

that link refers to Haswell HD 4400/4600, not Broadwell HD5500

hello again, may i know wich app to use to  Patch binary file? text edit or some other app to replace   (Find 39CF763C and replace it with 39CF773C.)

Try Hexfiend or 0xED

• 3 weeks later...

(2) Dump/Fetch a completed BIOS file.

You can use specific BIOS utility to save a copy of your BIOS on Desktop.

e.g. For AMI Aptio UEFI BIOS, you can use AMI BIOS Utility.

I have a dell inspiron 7348 (the same you mentioned in your blog) and i tried to dump the BIOS via (Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0) but it says my BIOS can't be identified. So what method did you use for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, sorry for my english, and for entering in a post so long after it's final reply. And sorry for my ignorance too. So, I bought this laptop some days ago, and I've never edited a binary from a kext, or do some apply (I don't know if that's how it's said) on clover. I got my hack working yesterday, audio, ethernet, touchpad (without gestures) and keyboard are all working, but the acceleration from HD 5500 isn't. It appears on about this mac, but as 4mb. Can you help me? 

Guys, sorry for my english, and for entering in a post so long after it's final reply. And sorry for my ignorance too. So, I bought this laptop some days ago, and I've never edited a binary from a kext, or do some apply (I don't know if that's how it's said) on clover. I got my hack working yesterday, audio, ethernet, touchpad (without gestures) and keyboard are all working, but the acceleration from HD 5500 isn't. It appears on about this mac, but as 4mb. Can you help me? 

Read the first page. You'll most likely need to change the DVMT pre-allocated size to at least 64MB. If you have a QHD display, maybe 96MB (not sure about this, please correct me if I'm wrong).

• 2 months later...

Hi experts,  

I am trying to install Yosemite on a Asus 303LNB

Specs as follows

i7 = 2.39 Ghz

Rams = 8GB

Graphics = HD 5500

I have managed to get the Mac OS installed, but as you can see from the screenshot I get some form of distortion.  The Mac OS boots fine and the graphics are fast and perfect.  I can even move my mouse , the graphics are still perfect.  I will get what you see in the screenshot if I start to click on the menus and options.

I have attached the plist for more advice.

I am lucky enough to have a bios that allows me to set the graphics ram all the way to 512.  I have tried various combinations, like 64 meg to 128meg to 256 meg in the Bios, but I will get a black screen.  512 meg is one of the best settings.

What I do not understand is that I can get the system to boot all the way in with perfect graphics with no distortion if I insert the -x boot flags.  And the graphics rams will show 1536 meg.  But the moment I boot without -x, it just does not work fine.

Please advise if there is something I can do?

:)   Thanks in advance.

post-678532-0-27862100-1449759395_thumb.jpg

config.zip