try to update appleTRL8169.kext - but need advice

orobin

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I need some advice, please, I try to modify a kext file, and I think I miss something.

I bought ( and made mistake but ...) a Dlink DLG 528 T.

inside the cdrom provided with the card,  there is driver (kext) called : AppleRTL8169.kext, for osx 10.4

I am running osx 10.10.2

so it does not work.

then I got a driver here :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/370-applertl8169ethernetkext/

I installed the kext with kext wizard, rebuild permission and rebuild kernel cache.

it does not work, my card do not appear in the pref panel.

then, I decided to try to mix the dlink driver, with the insanelymac driver :

I looked into the kext, and looked the info.plist.

in the dlink file, there is this in <dict> section :

<key>DGE-528T</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8169Ethernet</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>rtl8169</string>
<key>IODefaultMedium</key>
<string>00000020</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>0x43001186</string>
<key>IOPCISecondaryMatch</key>
<string>0x43001186</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
</dict>

I checked in the system info, : 0x43001186 is recognised for this card, by OSX.
so I inserted this section above, in the info.plist of the insanelymac kext, save the result,
uninstalled the one on my hackintosh, installed the modified one.

I checked it the kext load properly : it does.
it still not work.

so my question :
it could work doing that way ? then, what I am missing ?
or it cannot work, and I need more work on that ?

thanks for any advice, to help to modify my first kext.

Olivier

Hello!

Your issue is not a driver/kext one, why your card is not working. It seems that you have got a PCI ethernet card.PCI cards are generally not working with OSX.

Some have got such cards working. But this seems only to be luck.

Have fun.

Hi,

Is it since yosemit??

Before yosemite ( I don't remember, may be 10.4 or 10.6) i had another pci ethernet card working.

So what should I do, internal ethernet is not working, if pdi ethernet card are not working, i will never have internet access thEN.

i don't want wifi, and the usb ethernet are too expensive.

:-(

What i don't undarstand is there is a lpt of people doing kext for pci card. Then this kext are not for yosemit,, ?

Hello!

Try the original one for Lion from Realtek/Downloads, unpack it, add it to IONetworkingFamily.kext/PlugIns and install it back to S/L/E with KextUtility. Bootargument in Clover and Chameleon kext_dev_mode=1 and first reboot after installing by ignoring caches is mandatory. I´ll hope for you, that I am wrong with the PCI thing and you get your card working.

Which chip is on your internal ethernet card?

Have fun.

Hello,

thanks for the help.

it is written, on the chipset : DLG 10028C

OSX system info says, in PCI menu item :

vendor ID : 0x1186

device ID : 0x4300

which are what I find in the original kext of DLINK ( in info.plist)

I see it as a good news :-)

I remind that the original driver are labeled AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.\

>Try the original one for Lion from Realtek/Downloads, unpack it, add it to IONetworkingFamily.kext/PlugIns and install it back to S/L/E with KextUtility. Bootargument in >Clover and Chameleon kext_dev_mode=1 and first reboot after installing by ignoring caches is mandatory. I´ll hope for you, that I am wrong with the PCI thing and you get >your card working.

please, let me add detail, in order to be sure on my side that I understand well :

I unpack the original kernel, and get the original kext ? it is located, in the driver, in Archive.pax/Archive

or you are talking about the binary in the kext ?

I am afraid that it will not work as it is a x86 driver, Yosemite is x64

>first reboot after installing by ignoring caches is mandatory.

what does it mean ?

on my side I always boot with clover, kext_dev_mode=1.

should I not ?

after installing a kext, I always fix permission, and rebuilt kernel cache, using kext wizard tool (  don't remember where I got this tool)

sorry to request more detail, I am a bit lost.

thanks

Olivier

[edit]

I found what to put in IONetworking...kext

Hello!

Unpack downloaded archive with Pacifist and extract the kext. Kext is working for me on Mav or try Mieze one the same way.

If you use normally the cache to boot, you have to reboot the first time by ignoring caches after installing a new kext to get it loaded in the cache.

In any case you have to boot with kext_dev_mode=1 on Yose.

Try to install with the latest version of KextUtiility from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/140647-latest-kext-utility-yosemite-super-speed-edition/

The original RTL.kext for Lion is attached.

Have fun.

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.zip

thanks a lot for your help, and for the file.

I installed inside IONetwork...kext, in plugin folder, the kext of dlink.

I rebooted twice : the ethernet card is not recognized.

I rebuilt the kernel cache, rebooted : same result.

I tried using the driver of Lion, in your post, attached to the post : same result, my card is not recognized.

( same steps reproduced here)

note that I am sure my card works, because I can boot on a disk with linux, and the ethernet is working well.

I boot using latest clover.

may be my computer is too old for clover and give bug on ethernet pci, and I should then boot with Chameleon. I will see over internet what tutorial says...

> try Mieze one the same way

what is Mieze ?

thanks

Olivier

Hello,

tonight, I will try this kext.

I already removed, this morning (I am in GMT +2 ), the AppleRTL8169...kext from the IONetwork...kext, and I rebooted.

I placed in the link bllow, the config.plist, and the detail providedd by lshw under linux, of my computer (without the dlink 528T card, I hadn't it at this time)

note :

in the bios I set :

disable internal ethernet card

sata is set to AHCI

I disable the internal firewire also, I don't use it at all.

thanks

Olivier

files are there (I don't find where to attach files here) :

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5Ai-_xkA1V_fnNHaVlFcHZfeE9IOHJmUEZFT21RdlFtcUl0NjRoOXdCeGJMUG1MakROSHM&usp=sharing

Hi,

yes, my card appear in system info, under ethernet card.

the vendor idm and system id are correct.

I tried the kext of Mieze, without success. same result than with all other kext.

I tried to read some logs in the /var/log, but I saw nothing which help me.

I am thinking that the dsdt parameter in clover could block something ?

but I don't have the level to change it.

Question :

Could it be easier to solve this, using Maverick, and have my computer working ( Like I have in Yosemite) with ethernet also ?

thanks anyway for the time you spend on this.

Olivier

Hello!

Try to put the NetworkInterfaces.plist from Libray/Preferences/Systemconfiguration to trash and reboot by ignoring caches. Then try to config your Network in SystemPreferences. Try also, if you get it working manually.

Would be a good idea ot patch your own DSDT.aml without any DSDT patch in Clover.

Get your ACPI tables extracted with Clover and an IOREG with RegistryExplorer 2.1 and ask for help in the DSDT section. Don´t forget to set your used hardware in your signature.

You could also try Mav or even ML or L. I think a correct patched DSDT.aml could solve your problem. Try to create your own SMBios based on the one recognized by Clover.

Have fun.

Edit: Try to google for these USB ethernet adapters:   Apple MC704ZM/A (bulk) or Digitus DN-3023. ( prices less than € 20,00)

Hi,

>Try to put the NetworkInterfaces.plist from Libray/Preferences/Systemconfiguration to trash and reboot by ignoring caches. Then try to config your Network in SystemPreferences. Try also, if you get it working manually.

this did not allow my card to run.

About DSDT : ok, I will try to do that.

it make me think that when I go in /EFI/Clover/ACPI, there is no files in there (origin, patched, windows are empty)

may be all my problem are coming from that ?

Clover/rom is empty also

it is possible that I installed all the system, with selecting no DSDT option ...

I keep you updated of that step soon.

I found some tuto on internet to patch DSDT, like this one

https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

after that, I will come here, in DSDT section, to request some advice.

>Try to create your own SMBios based on the one recognized by Clover.

this part I don't understand. is there any tool to do that ? and what is the goal ? an xml file in add in my config.plist of clover ? or ?

>Apple MC704ZM/A (bulk) 

buy this kind of card could be good (and let me focus on the glitch of my graphic card rendering  :o)

I am just afraid to buy something (like I did with the dlink DGLG 528 mast week) and that it will not be recognised for any reason, in my hackintosh...

thanks

Olivier

Hi,

Your help made me have a lot of progress, in all way. Thanks.

I bought today a usb apple ethernet card. In france it is expensive ( about 40$). But internet worked immedIatly!

anyway, I decided to install mavericks .

It seems to work with less lag, less graphics issue in the rendering of the windows, on my pc + video card ( intel 945g)

I saved my dsdt file and acpi, using a tool like dsdt editor :

MaciASL

I need now to understand what i will do with that , how i will patch it. Before asking help in the forum.

Also i created a simbios file, with chameleon wizard, using a real mac not so far from my pc content, as reference ( processor, ram, graphic card etc)

I will create a new post for question relative to that, later.

Thanks.

Olivier

• 4 months later...

Hi !

I'm replying late, but this could be useful for other people.

There's an easy way to get it working (cf http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Network_Card_Database )

In order to do this you need to :

- Install AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from (I see this name is banned, search on google and you'll easilly know where to get it).

Inside that kext, there's a .plist that you need to edit by hand but it's quite simple :

the file itself is here : 

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

but you'll get into permission problems if you try to edit it directly, so :

- copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext to your desktop

edit AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

at the bottom you'll see IOKitPersonalities, edit inside this : RTL8169/RTL8110 -> IOPCIPrimaryMatch (so that's IOKitPersonalities->RTL8110->IOPCIPrimaryMatch )

add 0x43001186 to the Values. ie mine looks like this : 

post-1576753-0-49018300-1440765246_thumb.png

copy back AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from your desktop to 
/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

then clean permissions / update cache with kext wizard then reboot and voilà ! (hopefully)

post-1576753-0-49018300-1440765246_thumb.png