Clover kext info.plist patch

shilohhh

12 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me if there is a way to see the result of clover's info.plist patch? I open the info.plist file after applying the patch but the plist appears unmodified. I'm guessing that clover sends the modified information to the kext cache at boot time but is there any way to proof the changes that clover has made?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply.

I found bdmesg to be helpful for verifying if a patch was successful but I've found that the patch is not successful. It seem this feature doesn't really work. 

"KextToPatch 0: AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (GraphicsDevicePolicyFix) Info.plist patch - invalid Find/Replace data - skipping!" Is the result no matter what you search for.

Did you boot twice? If no, see Kexts to Patch/Side Note in Wiki.

Hi toleda, thanks for replying. Yes I have. I've been told that find and replace in clover plist patch is limited to strings of identical length so find "Config1" and replace with "none" can not work. I hope that the clover developers update this feature to work with replace any string with any other string regardless of size.

hope that the clover developers update this feature to work with replace any string with any other string regardless of size.

Not likely; OK with a dsdt, not OK with OS X binary or .plist.  Another approach: create a dummy kext with edited Info.plist or add to FakeSMC.kext info.plist and install in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10..,. or S/L/E.

Not likely; OK with a dsdt, not OK with OS X binary or .plist.  Another approach: create a dummy kext with edited Info.plist or add to FakeSMC.kext info.plist and install in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10..,. or S/L/E.

I had tried this as I do that with other kext plists but for some reason I can not get it to work with this one. The only thing that will work for me is patching the actual kext plist. I crated a perl script to do it easy but I would love a update proof solution. I'll post the dummy kext I tried when I get home maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

@toleda,

I've got the dummy kext loading with the new version number:

Shilohs-Mac-Pro:~ Shiloh$ kextstat
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
  136    0 0xffffff7f83dcb000 0x7000     0x7000     com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy (9.1.1) <135 107 81 12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

but something must be pointing to the exact file path of the original info.plist because I boot with a dead monitor unless I patch the original kext's info.plist.

Thank's for your help

I'm interested in patching AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy's Info.plist as well. But whatever I do, it doesn't work. I even saw the ticket open in the clover source forge and tried to patch by

"<string>Config1</string>" to "<string>none</string>SPACE_SPACE_SPACE"

in clover config.plist The result was not good so I fell back to modify the original kext. Do you have any news about this?

As I mentioned in the post above, clover can't be used for this one. Something is reading the info.plist from it's exact location. Clover injects the changes in the cache but does not modify the original file. I also tried making a dummy kext with the changed plist. The kext overides the loading of the original kext but the plist is still read from the original kext so it won't work either. If you want to use MacPro6,1 system definition, you'll have to patch the original kext.

To be clear, the clover patching was successful as seen in bdmesg. You have to use something besides clover configurator to convert the values to base64 because clover configurator will automatically delete the spaces from the base64 conversion

However, patching the info.plist via clover will not give you the desired result. Someone smarter than me will need to figure out a binary patch for whatever is reading the plist

• 6 months later...

New note: You can change your GPU's name to GFX1 in your ACPI tables to avoid this problem all together. This also works for multiple graphics cards. Name the all to GFX1 at their individual locations in ACPI. I use SSDTs. The attached SSDTs are for Ausus R4BE and R4E X79 motherboards but can be used as examples for other systems.

Nvidia Maxwell (5port) HDMI GPU SSDT.zip