GUIDE: Dell Precision M3800 (3200x1800 QHD+ Touch, i7-47x2HQ, IntelHD4600, QuadroK1100M, ALC668)

AustinSMU

39 posts in this topic

git clone https://github.com/AustinSMU/PRECISION-M3800-OSX
cd PRECISION-M3800-OSX
./DELLM3800.sh --update

Follow the instructions on the wiki for automated DSDT/SSDT/pixel clock/HDA_ALC668 patching. This installation is very specific, and must be followed with rigorous detail to yield a smooth and stable installation:

https://github.com/AustinSMU/PRECISION-M3800-OSX/blob/master/README.md

post-1373755-0-45552200-1428307989_thumb.jpg

post-1373755-0-11167500-1428308289_thumb.jpg

post-1373755-0-87181500-1428308323_thumb.jpg

post-1373755-0-29576100-1428308334_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm stumped.  Followed the guide as closely as I can and I can't get it to boot into setup.  The progress bar goes about 1/3 of the way and gets stuck with the spinning beach ball.  Using -v, I can see "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" as the last line before stopping.

I just received the laptop.  It's a 2015 model with the 4k screen.  Everything else is pretty much standard

i7-4712HQ

16gb RAM

1tb SSD

The only thing I can see that's different from the guide is the laptop came with Bios version A09.  It unlocked the same and I found all the bios options that needed to be changed.

Any insight would be appreciated

Got further, managed to get it installed.  Having issues with the post install stuff.  It runs fine but it boots to a black screen.  I'm going to take a wild guess it's the 4k display that it's not liking.

On a side note, the Dell 1560 card works out of the box.  From my past two hackintosh laptops, I knew full well Intel cards wouldn't work so I ordered this one with the DW1560 and that turned out to be the right choice.

Hi there,

First of all, thanks a lot for the GitHub Wiki, i own a Dell M3800 (2014 version / no QHD+) and i spent a week to unlock the bios and then install OS X thanks to your tutorial ;)

Now i perfectly boot on Yosemite 10.10.2 (dual boot with win 8.1).

Few things are missing :

- I am not able to control either brightness nor sound volume on the laptop keyboard

- When i want to play a song, i hit play but the song does not play  :rofl:  so i can't know if sound is working.. (apparently no sound card detected..)

- Is there finally a way to get the Nvidia Quadro graphic card working ? (graphics seems to lag sometimes...)

- Can i update Yosemite to 10.10.3 via App Store (and further when available) without losing everything ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

• Like 1

Well i finally made it after reinstalling Yosemite.

Everything now work fine, except the Thunderbolt.

I got a PCIe Audio Card (RME HDSPe AIO) in a OWC enclosure (PCIe -> Thunderbolt2). My device is not natively recognized by OSX in the Mac properties.

I must do the trick i saw on Tonymac forum wich consist on booting on Windows once to enable the Thunderbolt port, then reboot to osx and then the card is functional BUT, for me, still not recognized in the Mac properties...

If someone has any idea, would be much apreciated ;)

• Like 1

Hello all.

I have been traveling extensively with work as of late, so I apologize for the delay in my responses.

I'm stumped.  Followed the guide as closely as I can and I can't get it to boot into setup.  The progress bar goes about 1/3 of the way and gets stuck with the spinning beach ball.  Using -v, I can see "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" as the last line before stopping.

I just received the laptop.  It's a 2015 model with the 4k screen.  Everything else is pretty much standard

i7-4712HQ

16gb RAM

1tb SSD

The only thing I can see that's different from the guide is the laptop came with Bios version A09.  It unlocked the same and I found all the bios options that needed to be changed.

Any insight would be appreciated

Hi you, have you been successful to make it work with the 4K display?  :blush:

Unfortunately, my repository does not enable graphics acceleration for the new 4k resolution displays, as I have the QHD+ 3200x1800 model. You can find several threads regarding this issue on tonymacx86. I haven't had time recently to stay up-to-date with this issue, as I know it was still unsolved several weeks ago when I last made updates for 10.10.3 on my github.

Well i finally made it after reinstalling Yosemite.

Everything now work fine, except the Thunderbolt.

I got a PCIe Audio Card (RME HDSPe AIO) in a OWC enclosure (PCIe -> Thunderbolt2). My device is not natively recognized by OSX in the Mac properties.

I must do the trick i saw on Tonymac forum wich consist on booting on Windows once to enable the Thunderbolt port, then reboot to osx and then the card is functional BUT, for me, still not recognized in the Mac properties...

If someone has any idea, would be much apreciated ;)

I do not have the Thunderbolt port on my machine. If you upload your ACPI tables, I will look over them when I get some free time to see if there is a more straightforward solution. I imagine this is an easily supported feature given the nature of the technology, but I haven't spent anytime researching it yet.

• Like 1

I do not have the Thunderbolt port on my machine. If you upload your ACPI tables, I will look over them when I get some free time to see if there is a more straightforward solution. I imagine this is an easily supported feature given the nature of the technology, but I haven't spent anytime researching it yet.

Ok, that would be very nice if you could have à look :rolleyes: , these are my ACPI tables dump :

Dumps

I can see that there is no SSDT-pr.aml, that may be because i did manage to entirely disable the Intel or whatever CPU management, as i need to have full CPU speed anytime due to my pro audio real time softwares.

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi AustinSMU, I've read your guide and my M3800 works almost perfectly except:

1) When the screen sleeps, it can't wake on until next boot, and also the system can't sleep normally. (Even though I init the EDID)

2) Headphone sounds nothing after reboot.

3) HDMI audio can't recognize.

Here's my laptop's configuration:

CPU: i7-4712

BIOS: A07 with BIOS unlocked (can't find the "TPM Enable in BIOS as your BIOS)

Screen: Sharp 3200x1800

Graphics: K1100M

Wireless: DW1560 (original Intel AC7260)

Memory: Samsung 4Gx2 DDR3 1600

Harddisk: PM851 256G ngff

Thanks in advance! 

• 1 month later...

Just finished the guide. Everything seems fine except for a few things. Thanks for compiling all this work Austin!

First off, I have the same machine as Austin's with QHD+ (3200x1800) except I have a Thunderbolt 2 port.

I am not sure if this is a problem anyone else is having and it could be due to the slight differences of the machine. It seems that once I get to the Apple logo with the progress bar, the screen flashes and becomes a little buggy. Then once the progress bar is complete and I reach the login screen, I have to wait for the screen to refresh (a horizontal scanline is progressing vertically down the screen) and then I am able to see my typing of my password. After that, everything is smooth and it seems I have everything working with full graphics acceleration unless there's a better way to tell, I can tell it works because I can preview screensavers. But it seems a little buggy and laggy. My main browser, Google Chrome, has some flickering when the objects move such as videos or just scrolling the page. Firefox suffers this only in videos. Safari runs well.

I'll post a video soon as well as my acpi dump.

Hi everyone,

I have a working M6600 Yosemite(10.10.4). Is the BIOS mod procedure applicable on my machine too? I just don't want to brick it.

Thanks.

No. If OSX is already running on your machine, why take the unnecessary risk of unlocking your BIOS?

Just finished the guide. Everything seems fine except for a few things. Thanks for compiling all this work Austin!

First off, I have the same machine as Austin's with QHD+ (3200x1800) except I have a Thunderbolt 2 port.

I am not sure if this is a problem anyone else is having and it could be due to the slight differences of the machine. It seems that once I get to the Apple logo with the progress bar, the screen flashes and becomes a little buggy. Then once the progress bar is complete and I reach the login screen, I have to wait for the screen to refresh (a horizontal scanline is progressing vertically down the screen) and then I am able to see my typing of my password. After that, everything is smooth and it seems I have everything working with full graphics acceleration unless there's a better way to tell, I can tell it works because I can preview screensavers. But it seems a little buggy and laggy. My main browser, Google Chrome, has some flickering when the objects move such as videos or just scrolling the page. Firefox suffers this only in videos. Safari runs well.

I'll post a video soon as well as my acpi dump.

Go under accessibility settings and uncheck/check the reduce transparency option. If your menu/title bar changes, you have full QE/CI graphics acceleration. What version of Yosemite are you running? It sounds like you don't have the correct Clover patches applied.

Go under accessibility settings and uncheck/check the reduce transparency option. If your menu/title bar changes, you have full QE/CI graphics acceleration. What version of Yosemite are you running? It sounds like you don't have the correct Clover patches applied.

I guess I do not have full graphics acceleration. No change on the menu bar.

I am running the latest 10.10.5

Perhaps that is the problem then?

How do I find out what patches to use?

Thanks Austin!

I guess I do not have full graphics acceleration. No change on the menu bar.

I am running the latest 10.10.5

Perhaps that is the problem then?

How do I find out what patches to use?

Thanks Austin!

Yes, it is. There isn't a pixel clock (IOKit) patch yet for 10.10.5. I haven't updated the script on my GitHub past 10.10.3, but I can give you the command to manually patch 10.10.4 if you want to be as bleeding edge as possible on this machine.

Yes, it is. There isn't a pixel clock (IOKit) yet for 10.10.5. I haven't updated the script on my GitHub past 10.10.3, but I can give you the command to manually patch 10.10.4 if you want to be as bleeding edge as possible on this machine.

I'll try to get 10.10.3; then I'll get back to you.

Thanks again!

No. If OSX is already running on your machine, why take the unnecessary risk of unlocking your BIOS?

I would like to have access to fan control(OEM support only).

I am getting a rather high CPU temp -  65 with turbo boost enabled and 55 when disabled. At windows, it is 45.

- I tried i8k kexts and it breaks my sleep/wake.  I also tried adjusting \_TZ.TMP()@DSDT return value to 4500, but doesn't seem to do anything.

- The engineering code 15324(or something), does not get me to the hidden menus.

But then again, the risk maybe too high just for the fan adjustment.

Right now, only M3800 has this ability... Great stuff. 

Thanks.

I am on 10.10.3 now. Same problems as before.

Any ideas? What do I need to do to find the correct Clover patches to use? I went cmd+f with "intel" in the Clover config plist, and found a lot of relevant-sounding keys I might have to change. With not much knowledge on what needs changing, could you help me out? Also is there anything else I would have to change other than some Clover configs?

Attached is my raw dumped ACPI via Clover F4

ninditsu-origin.zip

Any ideas? What do I need to do to find the correct Clover patches to use? I went cmd+f with "intel" in the Clover config plist, and found a lot of relevant-sounding keys I might have to change. With not much knowledge on what needs changing, could you help me out? Also is there anything else I would have to change other than some Clover configs?

Are you using the Clover config.plist from the Clover folder of my github repository? It contains all the necessary patches needed for the M3800. Also, have you moved your patched ACPI tables into the Clover/ACPI/patched folder on your EFI partition?

Are you using the Clover config.plist from the Clover folder of my github repository? It contains all the necessary patches needed for the M3800. Also, have you moved your patched ACPI tables into the Clover/ACPI/patched folder on your EFI partition?

Sure am, and sure did. All the commands were successful. All the patches had no errors.

Sure am, and sure did. All the commands were successful. All the patches had no errors.

Try changing the ig-platform-id from 0x0a260006 to 0x0a2e0008. If that doesn't work, additionally remove the FacePCIID kext for the HD4600 in S/L/E (remove from the Clover/kexts/10.x also), run KextUtility to repair the cache and reboot.

Try changing the ig-platform-id from 0x0a260006 to 0x0a2e0008. If that doesn't work, additionally remove the FacePCIID kext for the HD4600 in S/L/E (remove from the Clover/kexts/10.x also), run KextUtility to repair the cache and reboot.

Tried multiple combinations of having the Fakepciid kext with the platform I'd and also changing the device Id. The default after completing your guide was device Id 0x04128086 and platform Id 0x0a2e0008. Now I always get a KP about AppleSMCLMUkext with dependencies about iographicsfamily and AppleSMC. I also didn't have a Fakepciid.kext for the HD4600 after finishing the guide I just added it after downloading the latest from rehabman.

ninditsu,

l have attached a complete Clover folder, including patched ACPI tables from your F4 dump. Replace the Clover folder on your EFI partition with this one. Before doing this, I want you to try one more thing - try a logout/login after initially logging in from a fresh cold boot.

CLOVER.zip 

Tried multiple combinations of having the Fakepciid kext with the platform I'd and also changing the device Id. The default after completing your guide was device Id 0x04128086 and platform Id 0x0a2e0008. Now I always get a KP about AppleSMCLMUkext with dependencies about iographicsfamily and AppleSMC. I also didn't have a Fakepciid.kext for the HD4600 after finishing the guide I just added it after downloading the latest from rehabman.

Do you have your DVMT pre-allocation set to 96MB in your BIOS?

ninditsu,

l have attached a complete Clover folder, including patched ACPI tables from your F4 dump. Replace the Clover folder on your EFI partition with this one. Before doing this, I want you to try one more thing - try a logout/login after initially logging in from a fresh cold boot.

attachicon.gifCLOVER.zip

Do you have your DVMT pre-allocation set to 96MB in your BIOS?

Wow awesome, thanks for the clover folder!

-I tried logging out and I lose display completely. I don't really have hdmi to test that either as of right now. Then I tried typing my password and waiting for about 5 minutes and it stayed blank. I'll try this again with a clean install with your clover folder. 

-My bios settings are all in order. *just checked

EDIT: Everything seems to work now. Initially using the clover folder you supplied I got stuck during boot. Not a KP just stuck. Verbose mode gave me something about NTFS drivers. The only change I made was the suggestion you made earlier from using 0x0a260006 to 0x0a2e0008. Now all is fine and I am replying from a healthy looking chrome browser! Thanks for all your hard work!

EDIT 2: One last thing, does sleep work? Because I think when my display goes to sleep, I lose internal display altogether. I can tell because the machine is still running since once I pressed the play button again while the screen was off, it began to play again. Thanks

• Like 1