4 New 10.4.8 Combo Updates

JaS

244 posts in this topic

You don't need to register to be able to download from demonoid. :thumbsup_anim:

You don't need to register to be able to download from demonoid. :rolleyes:

How is it done then? When i try to grab the torrent it states i have to be logged and/or register. It states if it is a new torrent then i can be downloaded. Jas 10.4.8 updates is not a new torrent(relativly speaking)

It gets confusing because Demonoid changes its policy all the time and doesn't explicitly state it on the opening page.

My understanding as of right now, new files are free to grab. (I forget what constitutes a new file - 2 weeks, 4 weeks). Old files require registration. But there is still open registration on weekends, starting Friday, I believe. Otherwise, go to the Demonoid request thread and ask for an invite.

This could be followed up by this: If only I could get free usenet access...

http://www.yottanews.com:8080/freeaccount.php

Only a GB a month, but there are others out there....

If a someone is willing to upload to the Usenet - I may be able to track down a username and password that they can use.

Edited by bsgjunkie

For any respectable member who is willing to uploaded to usenet, but doesn't have access - I will purchase a 3 day unlimited account for your use.

I need 10.4.8 SSE3 for:

Dell E1505

Core 2 Duo T7200

On a Dell 0XD720 Mainboard w/ Intel i945PM chipset

ATI X1400

PM me if you're interested.

Hello to all and first ..

a big thanks to JaS for the work made available to the community. Some good BSD blood must be flowing to your veins... :)

after installing JaS.10.4.8.Intel only Combo update I have a little problem.. the fan just does not stop..

little cronology..

- I had Jas 10.4.6 installed and all working except no USB and no shutdown possible.

- Installed BurnXFree (excellent software) and fan started overworking.

- backup made.

- installed JaS.10.4.7 update for Intel: went well (thanks JaS) fan problem solved! (no USB and no shutdown possible)

- installed JaS.10.4.8 update for Intel: went well (no USB and no shutdown possible)

- installed JaS.10.4.8 Combo update for Intel Only..problem with fan overworking is back! (no USB and no shutdown possible)

now... I'm working on the USB problem with the help of Orbyte..so .. anything I can do to fix the fan overworking after the Combo update?

Thanks for your time!

Mestam

upgraded kernel to b8 semtex which should be 8.8.1 but failed.. I forgot to upgrade kexts before.. so i went back to kernel 8.4.1..

however .. after going back to 8.4.1 fan overworking stopped... I can't figure out why..

I've checked all over the forum and also google on how to upgrade kexts.. found nothing..

any hint?

Just yet another reminder that the updates mentioned in this thread are from october & do not contain the new kernel, (8.8.1) which works with natit etc..

The new stuff for both sse2 and sse3 is in active development and for the latest news I suggest a visit to IRC

Ok... I resolved my problems...

it was all related to ICH7 .. therefore installing latest driver from orByte I have USB working and I can shutdown the system without any problem at all.. it was not related to kernel..

I still have 8.4.1 and system is fully working .. so I won't upgrade anything .. or maybe I will do it on some test systems..

thanks to all for any help and happy year!!

Mestam

To reiterate what Hagar said.

This thread is only for updating from 10.4.5-10.4.7 to 10.4.8 but with the old kernel 8.4.1. This thread was created before the new kernel was hacked.

There are other techniques to update to 10.4.8 with the new kernel 8.8.1. See the 10.4.8 link in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...

Mestam,

I have the same fan problem that you describe. after digging a bit in the Activity Monitor, it seems like the DirectoryServices process is hogging all the CPU availability and causing my fan to run almost constantly. I updated to 10.4.8 using the JaS 10.4.8 update for Intel SSE2 (not the combo). Everything was fine on 10.4.7. I'm still on the 8.4.1 kernel.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a fix?

HHM

Hello to all and first ..

a big thanks to JaS for the work made available to the community. Some good BSD blood must be flowing to your veins... :)

after installing JaS.10.4.8.Intel only Combo update I have a little problem.. the fan just does not stop..

little cronology..

- I had Jas 10.4.6 installed and all working except no USB and no shutdown possible.

- Installed BurnXFree (excellent software) and fan started overworking.

- backup made.

- installed JaS.10.4.7 update for Intel: went well (thanks JaS) fan problem solved! (no USB and no shutdown possible)

- installed JaS.10.4.8 update for Intel: went well (no USB and no shutdown possible)

- installed JaS.10.4.8 Combo update for Intel Only..problem with fan overworking is back! (no USB and no shutdown possible)

now... I'm working on the USB problem with the help of Orbyte..so .. anything I can do to fix the fan overworking after the Combo update?

Thanks for your time!

Mestam

Just an update. I managed to restore my cpu to normal by disabling the SLP service in the Directory Access app. See my post in another thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=266507

Thanks,

HHM

Mestam,

I have the same fan problem that you describe. after digging a bit in the Activity Monitor, it seems like the DirectoryServices process is hogging all the CPU availability and causing my fan to run almost constantly. I updated to 10.4.8 using the JaS 10.4.8 update for Intel SSE2 (not the combo). Everything was fine on 10.4.7. I'm still on the 8.4.1 kernel.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a fix?

HHM

hey guys, been out for a while in uni and am back to update my 10.4.7 inspiron 6000 (gma 900). Should I expect any complications or perform any additional steps after the installation considering my graphics card? Cheers :)

Edited by ultrasoul

• 2 months later...