arch linux- a short guide to it great work. A rolling release linux

kvonlinee

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, its been a long time since i post here.

I have caugth interested on linux, this time Arch linux and at this point I have no more hackintosh in my machine.

So for the pure Arch install, you can use evolution linux, it carry a simple installation to Arch linux,

It is a rolling release, Arch linux, in general, it is just one time install and it will update upon demand of your, no newer version.

I have cinnamon desktop, and sddm as log in manager, i have yaourt installed and tkpacman for package manager, mate screensaver.

So if anyone like to try it, welcome to it.

Edit: i use gufw for firewall, ans run as root in terminal:" systemctl enable ufw" to enable and start on startup. Networkmanager to manage network.

Edited by kvonlinee

I'm a long time Arch user, used to use vanilla Arch but have converted to Manjaro in the past for my work machine. Manjaro is awesome actually. Very easy to install. Pure Arch base with Manjaro tweaks on top.

Difference between Arch and Manjaro is that Arch pushes bleeding edge updates and Manjaro holds back on Arch's bleeding edge updates for a little while longer till they are redeemed stable enough to push. Still bleeding edge but with a stable enough touch to it. I really love using Arch actually one of my best linux platforms.

• Like 1

Manjaro is good. To me, first impression is great, along testing and running is "" and as lately install is not work out for me, glad it is work well for you. Also Manjaro is modded linux kernel to their own, in case you like to know run in terminal " uname -r" you see it.

i like to have vanilla kernel, that why I am going with that path.

• 2 months later...

For now, I see a different path on using Arch linux.

Arch is great but for a single monitor, not sure for dual monitor, reason I got recent update and it wipe out the setting somewhere form dual monitor go into 1 by DVI port.

I try fedora workstation and put Cinnamon on top is great, it is not freeze as often as gnome-shell. And it work great on dual monitor.

• 3 months later...

I'm a long time Arch user, used to use vanilla Arch but have converted to Manjaro in the past for my work machine. Manjaro is awesome actually. Very easy to install. Pure Arch base with Manjaro tweaks on top.

Difference between Arch and Manjaro is that Arch pushes bleeding edge updates and Manjaro holds back on Arch's bleeding edge updates for a little while longer till they are redeemed stable enough to push. Still bleeding edge but with a stable enough touch to it. I really love using Arch actually one of my best linux platforms.

Today, I found the manjero with built in cinnamon, so i try it, great. Thank you

http://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/files/community/Cinnamon/