Best forums for OS x86 information

larrybird

8 posts in this topic

There are several different forums that are following the progress of OS x86.

Initially this site was the best source, then it moved to concretesurf... before they switched hosts, and there's also the xbox forum. This site mentions the DMCA much more often as a source of stiffling discussion than other forums do. So, I'm asking, which forums are the best for information?

I think JaS is right - different forums serve different purposes. Our forum (and entire site) was set up to be a repository for all the information relating to the Intel transition. So we've always been more of a news-oriented site. While people talk a lot about "hacking" here, it's not the express reason this forum was set up and we can't, for legal and moral reasons, condone it. Also, we're based in the US, so the DMCA has to be upheld.

We only "stifle" - although that's not the best word - 2 things: detailing how to break/surpass the TPM and distributing warez. That's it. Everything else here is fair game.

The other sites are dedicated to hacking. Concretesurf is much smaller, and although this wasn't always the case, now has much less information than we do. They are also outside US law, though, so technical hacking discussions can take place there.

Our forum makes every effort to remain the only place you'll need to go to for x86 information. Our mod staff, myself, and everyone else works hard to 1) stay legal and 2) stay relevant. If you have suggestions as to how we can do this better, please don't hesitate to let us know!

...we can't, for legal and moral reasons, condone it.

i think you might have included the morality part of this sentence through phrase habit. :)

but getting myself back on topic, this site has lots of great information, and will probably be the Neowin of osX86 (no insult intended, Neowin began as a site about Windows XP betas, no questions about how you got it, wink wink, nudge nudge) after osX intel becomes mainstream. jumping on the DMCA compliance train early in the game was a wise move.

as much as i find Simons site informative, (more power to him, and thanks!) its popularity and value are based nearly completely on the cracking, not hacking of osX. if laws change in nz, it'll change, or disappear.

as much as i find Simons site informative, (more power to him, and thanks!) its popularity and value are based nearly completely on the cracking, not hacking of osX. if laws change in nz, it'll change, or disappear.

Im just going to keep it going until there is no point having it around anymore...

i think two things should happen:

1. make a super easy install dvd for tiger, no md5 check

2. promote this site everywhere

get more people interested and put a little more pressure on apple to put out an official release for all those lonely dells.

hello nay sayers!