vmware ESXi & OSX

10 posts in this topic

Hi

Has anyone managed to get yosemite to install on ESXi 5.5 without using Donk's unlocker patching tool?

Just curious whether you are able to use hacked kexts etc or whether it's much more complicated than that.

Cheers.

Advocate_HF,

The simple answer is yes, but you need a FakeSMC.kext, etc. Have a look at the following post from Zenith432.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303105-vmware-11-is-out-unlocker-available-any-better/?p=2093265

• 4 weeks later...

I installed fakesmc in from hwsensors package and now I have working yosemite under esxi 6.0, very happy!

BUT - I tred to installed latest security pactch for yosemite and it renders fakesmc useless now it wont boot. Lucky I took a snapshot first :-)

I do have another partition with mavericks that I can boot, is it possible to install a kext/fakesmc into my yosemite volume without having to boot it?

Please advise what my options are.

thx guys.

@advocate_hf

i update all my Yosemite 10.2 VMs to 10.3 without any problems.

So after reverting to your snapshot, the only thing to check before rebooting is that nvram settings are still fine (sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1) and your fakesmc kext is still present and loaded.

If this won't work for you, you could prepare yourself an clover usb boot stick, attach it to the VM in question and boot of that. After selecting your OS X partition, you can do the steps necessary to fix your installation.

I also use this clover boot stick to install new OS X VMs.

Hope this works for you..

@advocate_hf

i update all my Yosemite 10.2 VMs to 10.3 without any problems.

So after reverting to your snapshot, the only thing to check before rebooting is that nvram settings are still fine (sudo nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1) and your fakesmc kext is still present and loaded.

If this won't work for you, you could prepare yourself an clover usb boot stick, attach it to the VM in question and boot of that. After selecting your OS X partition, you can do the steps necessary to fix your installation.

I also use this clover boot stick to install new OS X VMs.

Hope this works for you..

Thanks. I tried sudo nvram and fakesmc kext is still present, still won't boot. Gets as far as mid way in the loading progress bar then stops.

Next step is to use clover, but I have never used it before. Can you please summarise for me what I need to do to fix the installation using clover usb stick?

cheers

Sure, no problem.

I wrote an installation instruction from scratch, so all you need to do is follow the steps appropriate to you.

I wrote it in german, so this link gives you the google translate result (somehow funny) https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhackintosh-forum.de%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3DThread%26threadID%3D21956&sandbox=1

I would suggest that you start off with a fresh vm install, and either do a complete reinstall, or attach your vm disk to that new configuration.

I had problems with older configuration files, that where imported to Esxi.

Please let me know if it worked out for you, cheers.

• 1 year later...

Sure, no problem.

I wrote an installation instruction from scratch, so all you need to do is follow the steps appropriate to you.

I wrote it in german, so this link gives you the google translate result (somehow funny) https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhackintosh-forum.de%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3DThread%26threadID%3D21956&sandbox=1

I would suggest that you start off with a fresh vm install, and either do a complete reinstall, or attach your vm disk to that new configuration.

I had problems with older configuration files, that where imported to Esxi.

Please let me know if it worked out for you, cheers.

Hi QuentinS,

Do you know if it works on ESXi 6.5? it has native OSX 10 support i tried. I am on an i5 2400 8Gb running ESXi 6.5 and made a Sierra uSB drive with TonyMac changed used your config and drivers on that eralier named site but still it crashes when choosing the install in clover

Do you know if it works on ESXi 6.5?

Sorry, but i haven't upgraded to 6.5 yet.

Also i'am using Donk's version 2.08 in 6.0 which avoids all the manual hacking.

As Donk states in his thread the 2.09 version is still unmature and VMWare is giving him a hard time releasing the new version.

Maybe you can downgrade to 6.0 and try Version 2.08 ?

Even if shows a mismatch (10.10 vs.10.12) all my 10.12 macOS VMs are working flawless.

Sorry, but i haven't upgraded to 6.5 yet.

Also i'am using Donk's version 2.08 in 6.0 which avoids all the manual hacking.

As Donk states in his thread the 2.09 version is still unmature and VMWare is giving him a hard time releasing the new version.

Maybe you can downgrade to 6.0 and try Version 2.08 ?

Even if shows a mismatch (10.10 vs.10.12) all my 10.12 macOS VMs are working flawless.

Thanks i will try that...

• 2 weeks later...