Need help with QE/CI on ATI Radeon X1300 Mobility

mlighted

7 posts in this topic

I have an old HP nc6400 laptop with famous in the past ATI Radeon X1300 Mobility video card.

It has 64Mb of dedicated memory. Vendor/device id - 1002/714A. Laptops CPU is Intel Core2Duo
and it has 4Gb of RAM memory.

I successfully installed Mavericks 10.9.5 onto this laptop, but haven't been able to get video card 
recognized.

Spent last 2 weeks reading posts and trying different kext files downloaded from forums and Internet. 
No success with QE/CI and no resolution higher then 1024x768. Card is simply not supported by any 
of the drivers I have.

I'm little short of trying to edit framebuffer parameters inside drivers I've got from 10.6.8 , but I just 
couldn't get a dump of video card's BIOS yet. GPU-Z does not support this card and I don' t know if I 
could do that with Clover. Not sure what else I could try at this moment.

Can anyone provide patched kext files for this card or EFI string(s) or may be a BIOS dump to me ? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Isn't SL a 64 bit ? I've got files from SL 10.6.8. And I've come to black screen. I assume there is disconnect between

Framebuffer in ATIRadeaoX1000 driver and video card. If I can fix that 10.6.8's drivers should work, in theory.

Herve, thank you for the provided information.

I think hope is not lost for me. Using ATIX1300Controller and ATIRadeonX1000 kexts from 10.6.8, patched with my device Id and EVOenabler with frame buffer names Caretta or Sphyrna, I was able to get to black screen on my laptop. If I connect to it via VNC however, I can see screen in what is looking like higher resolution. System information says that both kexts are loaded, as well as ATISupport and ATIFramebuffer. IORegistryExplorer also shows details of Caretta or Sphyrna personality matched to display 0 or 1, whichever has 0x00000002 connector type in EVOenabler.

I think there is a disconnect between frame buffer definition and card connectors. I could not get BIOS dump for my card, but found similar card's BIOS. radeon_bios_decode finds 4 connectors in that BIOS. I'm assuming for now that my card is similar. First is VGA, LVDS is second, then composite and DVI-I. I have specified 0x00000002 connector type as second in EVOenabler, not no success.

Weird thing is that ati-personality script reports only one single entry per frame buffer in ATI1300Controller in i386 mode and none in x86_64.

Trying to reconcile all that info and figure out what is wrong in my configuration. My clue is that connectors do not match. But I don't have any ideas how to fix that.

I'm going to post into bbc9's thread and hope someone could help me to figure it out.

Update - installed Clover and it injects more information for video card now. I've got 1440x900 resolution, which is the maximum for

my screen. Still no QE/CI. Connector info string I've constructed based on guessing, leads to garbled graphics on internal display. I'm

still searching for BIOS image for my video card. Tried to extract it with Clover, GPU-Z and Everest, with no success. Somehow I need

to figure out correct values for transmitter, encoder and sense id bytes.

DVD player does not even open, reporting an error. So, I might have declared victory too soon. In other hand

current state is sufficient for my needs. I can definitely see all elements of GUI working faster now. Dock has

transparent background and Chess can be played. Some features of QE/CI seem to be supported, but probably

not all. Could be even a limitation of video card itself or drivers.

To be completely honest, I don't really know how to check if both QE and CI are supported and to what extent.

I'm going to take a break from this fight to catch up on sleep. After that I will return and try to document what I
could remember.

• Like 1

Yeah, I see what you mean. I have Dell XPS17 with Yosemite and Intel HD3000 video card and DVD player shows all features as available.

However there is definitely some level of acceleration X1300 gives me. Items of Mission Control Center fly in and out pretty nicely over desktop.

Ctrl-left/right/up/down work quite smooth and switch between full screen windows is smooth too. Rendering and scrolling in Safari is also smooth.

In other hand launchpad is very slow to appear and if I configure Mission Control Center on separate pane, it is pretty slow to appear and render.

So, some features aren't fully supported. Got audio and Core Audio to work as well using Voodoo drivers. For now I'm pretty happy with my

current setup, except for 2nd CPU core. But that is not a blocker for me.