GUIDE: How to Fix Brightness hotkeys in DSDT / SSDT-hotpatch

soumaxetuirk

110 posts in this topic

It could be your DSDT is old enough to not have any checks for "Windows 2012".

You should read each patch carefully. And check your own DSDT for the code the patch is trying to match on.

hi rehabman,, i was try patch dsdt with OS Check Fix,, in my dsdt it's OOSI and i try rename all of OOSI to _OSI and use youre patch ,, i success compile that and no error, but and cant see generated key in system.log,, only if i press fn+f4 showing EC_ Q0A1 or EC_Q0A0,, 

here's my DSDT you can check my work : https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eleofoc1m305k8/DSDT.aml?dl=0

hi rehabman,, i was try patch dsdt with OS Check Fix,, in my dsdt it's OOSI and i try rename all of OOSI to _OSI and use youre patch ,, i success compile that and no error, but and cant see generated key in system.log,, only if i press fn+f4 showing EC_ Q0A1 or EC_Q0A0,, 

here's my DSDT you can check my work : https://www.dropbox.com/s/4eleofoc1m305k8/DSDT.aml?dl=0

Yours is OOSI because you're using Clover autopatching. Not a good idea to mix Clover DSDT "Fixes" with manual patching.

YES

Let's check.

Download patchmatic: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-patchmatic-2015-0107.zip

Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,

if [ -d ~/Downloads/RehabMan ]; then rm -R ~/Downloads/RehabMan; fi
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract
Note: It is easier if you use copy/paste instead of typing the commands manually.

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg with IORegistryExplorer v2.1.

• Like 1

You can press F4 in Clover. It will write native files to EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin.

i was try , and i get native dsdt,, and i try use your patch OS Checks fix, but still no key generated, i thinks my fn key is PS2 key not ACPI key

i was try , and i get native dsdt,, and i try use your patch OS Checks fix, but still no key generated, i thinks my fn key is PS2 key not ACPI key

Post native and patched DSDT.

Also ioreg (IORegistryExplorer v2.1).

• 1 month later...

If anyone has Elantech touchpad/keyboard, there is a very easy way to configure them, as well as other system functions.

You just need to edit the Info plist of the kext and switch between Apple mode or Vendor mode. i have the native sliders working thanks to that

post-1517295-0-48795600-1454402600_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

OK, I patched your DSDT using the patch RehabMan developed for the HP Envy17-J series.  It worked on my laptop as well and makes the brightness keys (F2 + F3) functional.

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

I wanted to thank you for your help, the patch you did, it's working perfect, for your time and give away that little or great knowledge you have on the subject !!! "Mnfesq" Thank you !!! and a great excuse for my bad English !!!

• 1 month later...

Hi! I got working brightness keys but Keyboard and Touchpad stop working 5sec after I press one of the keys.

What's the problem?

I installed Debug version of the Kext from RehabMan's Github and it just stops working, no warning or error.

Hi! I got working brightness keys but Keyboard and Touchpad stop working 5sec after I press one of the keys.

What's the problem?

I installed Debug version of the Kext from RehabMan's Github and it just stops working, no warning or error.

You probably have a Dell with breakless Fn+Fx keys.

See SSDT-KEY-DELL-WN09.dsl at github for VoodooPS2Controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this still working ?

I have a VAIO SVS15 and nothing is visible in system.log when I use my keyboard.

ACPIdebug seems to work because it populates the log when I'm using the trackpad. But not the keyboard.

Anyone can help ? ;) 

Thanks !

• 2 months later...

When this thread was started, this was the code we were all using:

into method label _Q1D replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0205)\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0285)\n
end;
into method label _Q1C replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0206)\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0286)\n
end;

Now that I am running Sierra 10.12.1, Brightness Up is controlled with the code 0x0205 and 0x0285 (not 0x0206 and 0x0286).  I can't seem to find any code that controls brightness down.  I have modified my DSDT to make the Brightness Up key (F3) work.  Does anyone else running Sierra 10.12.1 have this issue?

When this thread was started, this was the code we were all using:

into method label _Q1D replace_content
begin
// Brightness Down\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0205)\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0285)\n
end;
into method label _Q1C replace_content
begin
// Brightness Up\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0206)\n
Notify(\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2M, 0x0286)\n
end;
Now that I am running Sierra 10.12.1, Brightness Up is controlled with the code 0x0205 and 0x0285 (not 0x0206 and 0x0286).  I can't seem to find any code that controls brightness down.  I have modified my DSDT to make the Brightness Up key (F3) work.  Does anyone else running Sierra 10.12.1 have this issue?

It is best to change the keyboard driver such that it generates F14/F15 instead of the real brightness ADB codes.

In my driver, can be done in ACPI. Not sure about other drivers.

It is best to change the keyboard driver such that it generates F14/F15 instead of the real brightness ADB codes.

In my driver, can be done in ACPI. Not sure about other drivers.

Hi, haven't seen you much since Sierra came out.  Hope you were busy in a good way.  I'm using your June 16th version of VoodooPS2Controller.  I tried installing ACPIDebug and also used ioio to try to find the right codes.  I must not have done it right because I only got what was already in my DSDT and not what was actually needed to control brightness.  Is it possible that Apple's ADB codes have changed and that the DSDT patches are calling different ADB codes now?  If you recall, my laptop, like the Haswell Envy uses the same HKNO in _Q13 for both brightness up and down, but the F2 key is 0x07 and the F3 key is 0x08.

Hi, haven't seen you much since Sierra came out.  Hope you were busy in a good way.  I'm using your June 16th version of VoodooPS2Controller.  I tried installing ACPIDebug and also used ioio to try to find the right codes.  I must not have done it right because I only got what was already in my DSDT and not what was actually needed to control brightness.  Is it possible that Apple's ADB codes have changed and that the DSDT patches are calling different ADB codes now?  If you recall, my laptop, like the Haswell Envy uses the same HKNO in _Q13 for both brightness up and down, but the F2 key is 0x07 and the F3 key is 0x08.

ADB codes are determined by code in the keyboard kext itself (the keymap).

You can use "Custom ADB Map" to change the PS2->ADB assignments.

ADB codes are determined by code in the keyboard kext itself (the keymap).

You can use "Custom ADB Map" to change the PS2->ADB assignments.

I got a better idea of what you were saying when I read your post "[README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra" on another forum.  If I were to use the SSDT method you displayed there, would I modify it, save it as SSDT2.aml and put it in Clover\ACPI\Patched?

I got a better idea of what you were saying when I read your post "[README] Common (some unsolved) Problems in 10.12 Sierra" on another forum.  If I were to use the SSDT method you displayed there, would I modify it, save it as SSDT2.aml and put it in Clover\ACPI\Patched?

SSDT name is not important. I would give it a more meaningful name. If you're using SortedOrder, don't forget to add the SSDT to the list.