Trouble installing NVDAStartup.kext - Please help!

RehydratedFruit

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm a video editor and I recently purchased a flashed GeForce GTX 780 for my 2010 Mac Pro running Mavericks. I was happily using NVIDIA's web driver 334.01.03f01 until I installed Apple's latest security update 2015-002 1.0, and now the NVIDIA web driver is incompatible.

After hours and hours of research I came across this great forum with a solution (change the Info.plist in NVDAStartup.kext):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301416-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-yosemite/page-11

I didn't have a NVDAStartup.kext in my Library/Extentions folder and unfortunately I'm having trouble installing the NVDAStartup.kext linked on page 11 of that thread (And I can't post there since I failed part 2 of the quiz).

I've tried installing through Kext Utility and then restarting, but that didn't work and the kext didn't appear in my extensions folder afterwards. So I just dropped it into the extension folder and restarted, but again my mac is saying the driver is incompatible. Apologies for my ignorance but I'm very new to any of this, so hopefully there's a simple fix? 

My day job depends on getting this up and running ASAP so any assistance would be appreciated.

NVDAStartup.kext goes into /System/Library/Extensions.

Also make sure you're booting with the flag kext-dev-mode=1 because editing the kext breaks the code signing.

Ah yes I think I remember reading something about that during my searches. I've tried to find that info again but I'm struggling. What's the terminal command to sign " kext-dev-mode=1". I tried this command sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" that I found on another forum, but that didn't make a difference after restarting.

NVDAStartup.kext goes into /System/Library/Extensions.

Also make sure you're booting with the flag kext-dev-mode=1 because editing the kext breaks the code signing. (Missed the Mavericks bit. This is only for Yosemite)

Thanks for the update, Ok so I've definitely put NVDAStartup.kext into /System/Library/Extensions by installing it via Kext Wizard. I've tried using this command 

sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

and restarted but still no luck (Comes up saying "Invalid signature" in Terminal). Is there another step I'm missing?

Use this:

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-cache

Works both on my mac and my desktop hack

Tried both the commands and restarted, but still no change on my end. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Install newest drivers in pacifist go to my profile than t410 tut and downlad the kext you need from updates section.

Happy hacking

OSBeast

I tried downloading Pacifist from two different sources, but it instantly crashes with a report saying: 

"Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000"

I'm not sure if that's because of something I've done in Terminal now or?