Leopard and NTFS

mspr

28 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
No, it can not.

Yep! The answer surely is "NO". I remember last time i try google about it. Sorry i forgot the forum link, i read one forum. One guy said that it because of microsoft (Bill Gates) don't release the NTFS structure to the public, it only release the structure of NTFS in read feature. As for the write feature, microsoft still keep all by himself. And that's why tiger or mac osx only can read NTFS, but can't write.

If you read around a little bit more, you'd know that the guy that developed NTFS-3g (stable ntfs driver for linux with full write support) was hired by Apple. He will obviously be porting it for OS X to be seen in a future version. Some people have said 10.6 for sure if not 10.5, I think getting the FUSE thing down is what would take so long but who knows.

I also seem to remember reading somewhere off-site that Apple had hired a few guys from the NTFS-3g project to implement NTFS r/w support into Leopard (don't know which version of Leopard and when it said the ETA was). Since my memory on this is somewhat shaky please don't take this as anything more than hear-say though.

• 9 months later...

file not found so i back navigated to software and it asks for a password

what's the password for the idisk? because it asks for a password

please pm me

or does someone have the mac read/write for os x

• 1 month later...

Dear Nem,

But it can mount only 1 partition, 2 in the same time don`t work.

Paragon NTFS for Mac driver can mount not less than 12 NTFS partitions at the same time. How did you encounter this strange problem?

Best regards,

Anatoly.

VMWARE 1.1.X Does an incredible job of allowing Leopard to write to NTFS. I have XP installed on a separate disk. VMWARE sees it as a boot camp partition and loads it very very fast as a virtual machine.

Once into the virtualized environment with XP, just click on the "Fusion button". The windows desktop disappears and you have a fully integrated environment. In "Fusion" mode You can launch any Windows application you want from the upper task bar, and work with it on your Mac desktop just as you would with native Mac applications. If there is any difference in performance, I can't detect it.

Want to use disk burning programs like Nero from the Mac desktop? No problem. Don't want to pony up big bucks for Mac versions of office applications? Don't! Just launch your Microsoft versions of Word or Excel or anything else from your Mac desktop. Believe me, you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face when you realize that YOU are platform independent.

Oh, about writing to NTFS disks....

Big surprise - You can launch "My Computer and go right into Windows Explorer right from Mac the mac desktop and drag and drop files to and from any directory on either disk. From finder to Windows Explorer and back again. The kicker is that it is seamless. Absolutely amazing!

Want to access your Mac stuff when you're working natively in Windows. Get Mac Disk! I had a leopard upgrade crash upon reboot this morning. I tried everything I could think of to get it back on track. No joy.

Then I had an idea. I ran disk repair from the Leopard install disk, copied working Leopard file versions from another Mac to a jump drive. These were "mach_kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext, and dsmos.kext , and used MacDrive in Windows Explorer to replace the files on the failed Leopard installation.

I couldn't believe it. Leopard fired right up. I had to "chown" and "chmod" IONetworkingFamily.kext, and dsmos.kext for the system to be completely happy, but that was no chore at all.

There is a quiet revolution taking place here. When the rest of the world catches on, Microsoft is going to have a lot to think about. ;)