Please help, GRUB keeps loading instead of Clover

John20

7 posts in this topic

Hey what's up? i'm new here, your guides helped immensely in creating my hackintosh. I'm Actually triple booting Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu / Yosemite. My specs are GA-Z77M-D3H  -  i7-2600K  -  HD7770.

Almost everything works fine, the only problem is that GRUB bootloader keeps loading instead of Clover. I tried installing Ubuntu without GRUB but then Ubuntu wouldn't show up in my Clover USB. Can anyone help me please? Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome to InsanelyMac forum!

If you use Clover in UEFI mode, all your installed systems has to be UEFI too. And vice versa.

Take a read in this guide: [Guia] Dual Boot - OS X 10.9 e Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Clover

Note: Always install GRUB inside the Ubuntu partition, e.g: /dev/sda3 (Ubuntu partition) - not in /dev/sda (entire HD)

• Like 1

Hi,

Can you go into the bios, boot options, and take a photo? 

I think it's just a boot order issue. 

Yes, i can't take a photo right now because i'm also fixing my android phone/tablet. I have F4 Bios, ACHI mode, xHCI handoff Enabled etc etc, legacy USB Auto (i thought that was the issue but no)

Hi and Welcome to InsanelyMac forum!

If you use Clover in UEFI mode, all your installed systems has to be UEFI too. And vice versa.

Take a read in this guide: [Guia] Dual Boot - OS X 10.9 e Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Clover

Note: Always install GRUB inside the Ubuntu partition, e.g: /dev/sda3 (Ubuntu partition) - not in /dev/sda (entire HD)

Thanks for the kind welcome! I'm going to re-installing everything and install GRUB on Ubuntu partition. Normally when i boot up Ubuntu live CD in UEFI mode, at first it says "unable to open (something).efi" and then the installer just starts up normally. I've been told this is normal, and that i'm still actually booting the installer in UEFI mode. Can you tell me if it's normal or no?

By the way, what i normally do is first installing OSX (then applying my dsdt, kexts, etc,etc.) Then install windows and finally Ubuntu. What normally happens is: Clover bootloader is overriden by Windows boot manager, which in turn is overriden by GRUB bootloader. And i cannot access EFI's clover, therefore i'm only able to boot OSX by USB. I'm not sure this is the correct order, i learned hackintoshing from zero in the past month.

Hello, thanks! that gave me some details. I successfully managed to boot into Clover by manually adding a boot entry through EasyUEFI in Windows. I wasn't sure if Clover booted from BOOTX64.efi or CLOVERX64.efi. Thanks for you assistance =)

• Like 1