Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro M-5Y71 Broadwell

Kourindou Hime

7 posts in this topic

First of all – I would like to thank this great community for all these years I've experienced running osx on various non-apple hardware units. Now it's time to decide if there's a way I can do my personal investment.

Sadly I was unable to get lspci info, because I don't have the machine, but I have an option to buy it (like in a few days). I'm okay with non-working wifi/bluetooth (and maybe even sound), because obviously, I always can replace it or use some USB devices. Sleep option is not important either (later maybe).

But! I would like to know – if there's any hope on getting Yosemite booted on that machine at all? CPU is Intel Core M Broadwell (5Y71), graphics – Intel HD Graphics 5300.

Also it has a QHD+ display, and I'm going to do some research on how to make it act as a retina one after I get the machine (good to know there are already some threads related to that).

TL;DR version: Intel Core M Broadwell (5Y71) with Intel HD Graphics 5300 == successfull boot; true or false?

Wasn't able to find any info on osx86-related sources about M-5Y71 & Broadwell arch support.

I would like to get this machine and make an installation guide thread here in case of ANY success. Just tell me if it worth it.

Thank you!

First of all – I would like to thank this great community for all these years I've experienced running osx on various non-apple hardware units. Now it's time to decide if there's a way I can do my personal investment.

Sadly I was unable to get lspci info, because I don't have the machine, but I have an option to buy it (like in a few days). I'm okay with non-working wifi/bluetooth (and maybe even sound), because obviously, I always can replace it or use some USB devices. Sleep option is not important either (later maybe).

But! I would like to know – if there's any hope on getting Yosemite booted on that machine at all? CPU is Intel Core M Broadwell (5Y71), graphics – Intel HD Graphics 5300.

Also it has a QHD+ display, and I'm going to do some research on how to make it act as a retina one after I get the machine (good to know there are already some threads related to that).

TL;DR version: Intel Core M Broadwell (5Y71) with Intel HD Graphics 5300 == successfull boot; true or false?

Wasn't able to find any info on osx86-related sources about M-5Y71 & Broadwell arch support.

I would like to get this machine and make an installation guide thread here in case of ANY success. Just tell me if it worth it.

Thank you!

We'll know more when Apple starts using Broadwell parts. Right now, I suspect it is a no-go, as Apple has no Broadwell machines (MacBookAir 12" retina rumors?). I had one for 24 hours recently. I got it to boot using Clover's FakeCPUID, but never got past some crashes during boot (outright lockups), probably due to chipset and possibly graphics issues. The i2c trackpad will require new drivers to be written.

Note: By "boot" I mean I got the kernel to load and for it to start loading/starting kexts...

• 2 weeks later...

Apple released OS X 10.10.3 beta3.

Broadwell HD Graphics drivers were added.

1. AppleIntelBDWGraphics.kext
  2. AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer.kext
  3. AppleIntelBDWGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
  4. AppleIntelBDWGraphicsVADriver.bundle
  5. AppleIntelBDWGraphicsVAME.bundle

IDs from Info.plist in AppleIntelBDWGraphics.kext:

0x0BD18086 0x0BD28086 0x0BD38086 0x16028086 0x16068086 0x160B8086 0x160A8086 0x160D8086 0x160E8086 0x16128086 0x16168086 0x161B8086 0x161A8086 0x161D8086 0x161E8086 0x16228086 0x16268086 0x162B8086 0x162A8086 0x162D8086 0x162E8086 0x16328086 0x16368086 0x163B8086 0x163A8086 0x163D8086 0x163E8086
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apple announced the new MacBook with a core M 5Y70/5Y71

this means we should be able to get the Yoga 3 pro booting OS X. some guy seems to have already done it, with a few things not working. (theres another thread about it)

10.10.3 has some support (new kexts for Broadwell), but you need to get this Installer (not available on the MAS atm), and then tell us if the kernel is ready (using Clover to deceive unsupported CPU?). but your graphics card will not work for sure...

• 11 months later...

I have a Yoga 3 Pro, but the M-5Y70 Broadwell.

I would greatly appreciate it when someone could make a specific beginners guide (from partitioning, installing etc. to how to patch and which patches to use + download links/files)

As I'm very new to all this I don't know very much. When by the time I have "figured all this stuff out" I'll post a guide myself. Hopefully one of the more experienced members can do that before me ;)

(One side question: does the WiFi work? Because when I tried to install ubuntu I got into the so-called dependancy hell as the Yoga 3 Pro has no ethernet port and the drivers are unsupported I think)

• 3 years later...