[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

Hi, so there's two things you have to watch: first, the part where you're asked to add 5 random characters to a string, those have to be hex characters, otherwise it won't work. Secondly, if you edit the config.plist file directly, it will overwrite pretty much the entire .plist and you won't be able to boot anymore. So simply create a new .plist with Clover Configurator, follow the tutorial and when you're done, open the new config.plist and find the part that says

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>

</dict>

Select everything in between <dict> and </dict> and copy it. Open your actual config.plist from /SYSTEM/EFI/Clover/config.plist (might have to copy it to your desktop to edit it), open it, find the same section as above, select everything in between <dict> and </dict> and press paste, so you replace the old information with the new. Save and copy back to /SYSTEM/EFI/Clover/ if needed, then follow the tutorial as normal

Man I'll tell you, I'm really having a heck of a time getting this to work. Which hardware did you guys pick when you did it? I've tried a MacBook Air one and am now trying a MacBook Pro one.

I'm also not sure how to:

- Get my Edimax USB dongle connection to be en0

- Get the config.plist to take (I simply saved it to the desktop, then copied out what you said above and pasted over that section in the config.plist in the EFI -> Clover folder.

Whenever I try to sign into iMessage, it just continually spins. If I give it a bad password, it comes back with that immediately. I am signed into iCloud just fine though everywhere else on the machine.

I've tried a different Apple ID, but get the exact same result.

EDIT: just tried it with a new config.plist. This time I took the one straight from the download and just pasted over the SMBios section with a newly generated one (this time having chosen a MacBook Pro 11,1) and still no dice. Just continually spins. Before doing any of this I did at least get it to log into iMessage and let me choose which phone numbers and email addresses I wanted to be contactable at. But I couldn't send or receive any messages. Now I can't even get passed the login screen.

Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks

Not sure if this is known for any of you but I was looking at the SSDTs for the SP3 the other day and I noticed some OS checks for the WiFi card. The ON, OFF methods check for Windows 8 so it might be worth patching that. I read somewhere that the WiFi card was not enumerating on the SP3 so that could be the reason.

Even with the card being recognised by the system, I doubt it will work as, from what I understand from looking at the relevant Linux drivers, the new Marvell card is completely different.

Thanks for this info! I'm confident that with time, this can be a 100% working hackintosh build. 

I am having a snag with booting without USB. I have no windows partition anymore because I want OS X only. With running steps in tutorial, I never get a "SYSTEM" driver mounted after clover install on OS X partition, even with showing all partitions in disk utility debug menu. If I browse the HDD I can see the folders mentioned, and cal do all steps until locating "microsoft" folder, as it's not there.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks again for the great write up.

I am having a snag with booting without USB. I have no windows partition anymore because I want OS X only. With running steps in tutorial, I never get a "SYSTEM" driver mounted after clover install on OS X partition, even with showing all partitions in disk utility debug menu. If I browse the HDD I can see the folders mentioned, and cal do all steps until locating "microsoft" folder, as it's not there.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Hi ben,

You might need to hop into terminal and use the command line to get more info from diskutil.  I had an EFI partition named 'SYSTEM' when I first tried this tutorial, but following a complete drive wipe, i ended up with an EFI partition called 'EFI'.  its the same thing, just a different name.

crank up terminal and use the following to list your partitions:

diskutil list

^-- this will give you a list of all drives and the partitions on each one.  usually, the drive you're interested in will be disk0 and all partitions will be: disk0s1, disk0s2, etc

You can limit the list by just looking at your SP3 drive like this: diskutil list disk0

Assuming you have one called EFI, and it's volume # 1, use the following to mount it so you can see what's in it:

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1

once that's done, you should see a new drive popup in finder (or on your desktop) called EFI.  now just go in there like a regular drive and do/look for the clover stuff.  once you're done, use:

diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s1

• Like 1

Hi ben,

You might need to hop into terminal and use the command line to get more info from diskutil.  I had an EFI partition named 'SYSTEM' when I first tried this tutorial, but following a complete drive wipe, i ended up with an EFI partition called 'EFI'.  its the same thing, just a different name.

crank up terminal and use the following to list your partitions:

diskutil list

^-- this will give you a list of all drives and the partitions on each one.  usually, the drive you're interested in will be disk0 and all partitions will be: disk0s1, disk0s2, etc

You can limit the list by just looking at your SP3 drive like this: diskutil list disk0

Assuming you have one called EFI, and it's volume # 1, use the following to mount it so you can see what's in it:

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1

once that's done, you should see a new drive popup in finder (or on your desktop) called EFI.  now just go in there like a regular drive and do/look for the clover stuff.  once you're done, use:

diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s1

Thanks for that. Once EFI is mounted though, I don't have any clover stuff in it. I have an EFI folder, and inside that I have an APPLE folder, and that's it.

Anybody get El Capitan 10.11 working. Just curious

Just did. Very easy . Download the installation , run it like any regular upgrade. Before install , very important is to copy all of your kexts from /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ to a newly created /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11. start then in clover as regularly selecting the mac drive . 

Done

I've followed the guide through, and am up to the point of actually installing, but as soon as Clover finishes booting the USB and starts the install process, it hangs. This is directly after all of the verbose messages, and the black screen with the apple logo is reached. Progress bar stays empty, and rainbow wheel cursor spins.

I'm so exhausted and have been working almost 12 hours on this. If no one can think of what might cause this, I'm honestly just going to throw in the towel.

I'd love to try this out on my Surface pro 3, but is there any point since the main things you'd want don't work

WIFI

Bluetooth

Touchscreen : Alex.doud is currently coding touchscreen and trackpad drivers for the Surface Pro 3's i2c controller. 

Sleep

Trackpad gestures

Sleep will probably work by setting up hibernation (only clover):

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 29

(works for me on the Dell Venue Pro 11)

upgraded to El Capitan, no problems except my type cover no longer works.  Went to modify the IOUSBFamily.kext but found nothing in there about generic keyboard.  gonna try cut and pasting from the existing one.

Wahoo.  worked a treat.

for anyone else needing to set up their type cover again:

follow the original setup instructions of this thread.  Get to the part where you're editing the IOUSBHIDDriver.kext > Contents > plist

find the line entry:

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

directly below that replace <dict/> with this:

<dict>
		<key>Generic Keyboard</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
			<key>HIDDefaultBehavior</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOUSBInterface</string>
			<key>bInterfaceClass</key>
			<integer>3</integer>
			<key>bInterfaceProtocol</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>bInterfaceSubClass</key>
			<integer>3</integer>
		</dict>
	</dict>

save and use kextutil to reinstall it.  you'll probably need to reboot.

• Like 1

upgraded to El Capitan, no problems except my type cover no longer works. Went to modify the IOUSBFamily.kext but found nothing in there about generic keyboard. gonna try cut and pasting from the existing one.

Wahoo. worked a treat.

for anyone else needing to set up their type cover again:

follow the original setup instructions of this thread. Get to the part where you're editing the IOUSBHIDDriver.kext > Contents > plist

find the line entry:

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

directly below that replace <dict/> with this:

<dict>
		<key>Generic Keyboard</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
			<key>HIDDefaultBehavior</key>
			<string></string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>IOUSBHIDDriver</string>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOUSBInterface</string>
			<key>bInterfaceClass</key>
			<integer>3</integer>
			<key>bInterfaceProtocol</key>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<key>bInterfaceSubClass</key>
			<integer>3</integer>
		</dict>
	</dict>
save and use kextutil to reinstall it. you'll probably need to reboot.

I seem to have an issue doing a direct upgrade. When I click on the Installer from Yosemite, it prepares the install and restarts the computer. I then boot into the "Install El Capitan" drive, and as soon as it begins, it throws the error "unable to unmount volume for repair". Tried burning to a usb and booting from the recovery drive, but it requires an Internet connection to do the install. Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

make sure you haven't got any other drives like USB or micrSD when you install El Capitan.  And you might need to go back and do some repairs if you've made a false start somewhere.  I tried doing this upgrade via USB first time around and it messed up.  I found it/I had installed an EFI to my microSD and I was getting this same error message. I ejected the microSD and had to go back and repair the correct EFI by booting from my old yosemite install USB's EFI and then re-installing clover and the other steps to my HD.  I then followed the El Capitan 3 steps very carefully, and it worked.  I'd say you're missing a step if you're installing to SP3.

make sure you haven't got any other drives like USB or micrSD when you install El Capitan.  And you might need to go back and do some repairs if you've made a false start somewhere.  I tried doing this upgrade via USB first time around and it messed up.  I found it/I had installed an EFI to my microSD and I was getting this same error message. I ejected the microSD and had to go back and repair the correct EFI by booting from my old yosemite install USB's EFI and then re-installing clover and the other steps to my HD.  I then followed the El Capitan 3 steps very carefully, and it worked.  I'd say you're missing a step if you're installing to SP3.

Hmmm...I do have clover installed on my micro sd, the usb, and my SSD as well. I'll try what you suggested and start the clover process over again. did you use the same version of clover in this guide? What about the DSDTs and kexts? I have put the kexts in the 10.11 folder btw. And the config.plist? I'm wondering if they conflict at all with the installation.

Hmmm...I do have clover installed on my micro sd, the usb, and my SSD as well. I'll try what you suggested and start the clover process over again. did you use the same version of clover in this guide? What about the DSDTs and kexts? I have put the kexts in the 10.11 folder btw. And the config.plist? I'm wondering if they conflict at all with the installation.

yup, i think at least lose the microSD then try again.  if it still bombs, take away all the extras. 

use the latest clover. it works great. follow the instructions.  it says to use the exact same DSDTs and Kexts and config.plist.  no conflict, it works great.

I've followed the guide through, and am up to the point of actually installing, but as soon as Clover finishes booting the USB and starts the install process, it hangs. This is directly after all of the verbose messages, and the black screen with the apple logo is reached. Progress bar stays empty, and rainbow wheel cursor spins.

I'm so exhausted and have been working almost 12 hours on this. If no one can think of what might cause this, I'm honestly just going to throw in the towel.

Remember to start with injected Kexts while of course you must have a new EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11  set up with all the kexts imported from 10.10 

it should work 

yup, i think at least lose the microSD then try again.  if it still bombs, take away all the extras. 

use the latest clover. it works great. follow the instructions.  it says to use the exact same DSDTs and Kexts and config.plist.  no conflict, it works great.

At this point I've pretty much tried everything. Updated Clover, tried with/without kexts, I've got all my kexts loaded in the 10.10 folder and 10.11 folder, I have no devices plugged in, no microSD. Yet I still get the message "Unable to mount volume for repair." Currently trying to install to a USB since it wont install on the HDD. It's worth noting that I have windows as my main OS, I just shrunk the partition and loaded Yosemite on another partition with no problems. Don't know what the problem could be, all apps were closed when running the installer from the Applications folder.

Tried manually unmounting the drive from the Disk Utility, yet it still doesn't unmount that partition :( if it's worth mentioning, I am  only on 10.10, not 10.10.5

@stevebramley ahhhh I see what the issue might be from what you said. There is more than one "Install El Capitan" boot option in clover, and since those are both running off of my Yosemite drive, I can't use either to install since it will stop me from in mounting the disk. How do I "unmount" the installations or cancel them? I deleted one of them by removing the install files at the root of my Yosemite drive but I can't seem to find where the other one is running from

@Khaliljvd.  oh, looks like we've got clues!  if you can boot into any OS X installer (or even the OS) you can get to terminal.  If you can boot into Yosemite, go to spotlight and search for 'terminal' and run it.  From any OS X installer, when you get to the installation screen, go up to utilities and select 'terminal'.

run diskutil list and it should give you a massive list of lots of disks on your system (most of those will be virtual disks created by the installer).  look for the one that looks like its your Yosemite HDD.  mine's disk0

do the command again but like this: diskutil list disk0

it'll just show you the partitions you currently have.  you'll probably see a few EFI partitions, possibly labelled Install El Capitan.  erase those with the partition number:

diskutil eraseVolume JHFS+ DeleteMe /dev/disk0s<x>

replace <x> with your volume number.  My one and only EFI is disk0s1, right after the partition map; disk0s0

use this article to have a look at your options for erasing and combining partitions to reclaim space and control: http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/disk-management-from-the-command-line-part-1