[Guide] 10.10 On the Surface Pro 3

LonelyTV

341 posts in this topic

Someone should make an Legacy kext for Type Cover injection, editing info.plist is so outdated now

I have done this months ago - see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304796-guide-1010-on-the-surface-pro-3/?p=2126598

Argh... I've got everything setup properly last night, but updated to 10.10.4. Now I just realized that the update seemed to have screwed up my Type Cover trackpad. Instead of behaving as a normal trackpad should, it now behaves as if it's a touchscreen (i.e. the upper-left corner of the trackpad corresponds to the upper-left corner of the screen, etc.) This made it almost impossible to click on anything after I've painstaking gotten my cursor pointing at the correct spot.

Anyone have a fix to this?

just dettach / reattach the type cover to get it work again correctly (no reboot needed).

g'day mate.  same thing happened to me.  Just do "Step 4a: Modifying ISOUSBFamily.kext for a working Type Cover" again (from the original guide, step 4).  

you don't need to edit the kext - just inject http://www.insanelym...ro-3/?p=2126598

hi guys

could someone try this kext to see if the BT on the Avastar card is recognized by the system?

Let me know!

Installed this using Kext installer and there has been no change i'm afraid mate. Would be great to get bluetooth working! Cheers for the effort.

What kext do we need for audio? I have everything working (wifi dongle) but want audio to work and i'll be satisfied. Works so well on the Surface, and i'm using it on an i3!

EDIT: has anyone updated to 10.10.5?

Sorry guys, but that kext is only for the surface pro 1° gen.

it's not the same kext, i've changed the binary firmware for the new card, but reading better the source on linux, it seems that the BT firmware can only be uploaded via PCI-Ex and not anymore via USB like SP1/2 :(

just try to know how to load via PCI-Ex

• 2 weeks later...

ok,   ive updated too 10.10.5 and had no issues. 

ive also figured out how too delete the entire surface hard drive by booting into osx on a pen drive, format the entire surface hard drive and make it a complete OSX hard drive.  then install windows 10 through bootcamp.  install vmware fustion 8 and load the bootcamp windows partition from VMware on my mac and have both my OSX and windows running at the same time.  Not everyone will want too do this, and I only did it too see if I could, but its kinda cool having both physical partitions running at the same time, also any changes I make in windows 10(VMware). Actually stays there when I boot into windows 10 at startup - hope that made sense

I'm going too do it again over the weekend and start from scratch.  So I can make a tutorial(if anyone wants it).  I'll also try too knock out this tutorial or pass it along too lonelytv this weekend as well.  I have too work over the weekend so ill have time too do this.  I dont think I got the headphones, volume control or audio too passthrough the display port, but I believe I have everything else.  ill read through the tutorial again and see how it goes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this guide. Just fantastic.

I wanted to post about one issue I'm having that I didn't find after searching the thread.

It seems that I'm unable to log into my Windows installation using just the passcode. Each time I attempt to, it tells me that I've already tried too many times and that I need to reboot if I want to try the passcode again. I've never had this issue before.

I also wanted to ask - I'm assuming that you can't ever re-enable Secure Boot Control while dual booting OS X? Even if you were to install Clocer right to your disk?

Thank tou!

Jared

Every time, I power up my Surface Pro 3, while holding the Down volume button, I get Preparing BitLocker Recovery with the Surface log and then brings me to a Windows 8 themed BitLocker recovery key thing. I disabled Secure Boot Control as follow, but I can't manage to boot from my USB.

I erased and formatted to: Mac OS Extended (Journal), naming it Install.

Open Terminal and copy/paste command, and successfully moved Install OS X Yosemite through the command.

Downloaded Clover Boot loader, and installed it on to the USB named Install OS X Yosemite, and customize and selected only Install for UEFI booting only, Themes, Drivers64UEFI.

Then I copy all necessary files from Surface pro 3 driver pack into USB and folders they belong in.

I did this 3 times, and tried with 2 8gb usb drives. I just can't get pass this and boot from USB. I don't see the new mount? "Once it finishes you should see a new "EFI" drive mounted." Am I doing something wrong?

http://s14.postimg.org/kvc9alb6p/image.png

http://s14.postimg.org/amjs4rn4x/image.png

Every time, I power up my Surface Pro 3, while holding the Down volume button, I get Preparing BitLocker Recovery with the Surface log and then brings me to a Windows 8 themed BitLocker recovery key thing. I disabled Secure Boot Control as follow, but I can't manage to boot from my USB.

Hi Max, 

I got this problem too.  by default the vanilla setup for sp3 drive partition types is encrypted.  You need to go into your winblows management and turn off drive en-craption.  it takes hours but you'll no longer have that bitlocker blockade.

Hi Jim,

Take a read at this, should enable secure boot and remove the red screen on the sp3 too...  ^_^

Enabling secure boot (credits: Quattro74)

Hey thanks so much!! I really appreciate that. I'll have to go ahead and give it a whirl.

I also wanted to ask if anyone else is having any problems with USB connectivity? Every time I plug my iPhone 6 Plus in, it continually gives me the double vibrate as if it's being connected again. Neither iTunes, Finder, nor Photos recognize that it's been plugged in. Any ideas?

Hi Max,

I got this problem too. by default the vanilla setup for sp3 drive partition types is encrypted. You need to go into your winblows management and turn off drive en-craption. it takes hours but you'll no longer have that bitlocker blockade.

Thanks, will try that!

Besides that, is it normal not to have a mounted EFI after installing Clover on to USB?

Edit: I successfully turned off BitLocker, but it looks like my problem is still at making a bootable USB- can't boot to USB at all

I'm sure I follow the instructions on the first page correctly, but it doesn't show a mounted EFI after installing Clover on to my USB, any ideas?

Thanks, will try that!

Besides that, is it normal not to have a mounted EFI after installing Clover on to USB?

Edit: I successfully turned off BitLocker, but it looks like my problem is still at making a bootable USB- can't boot to USB at all

I'm sure I follow the instructions on the first page correctly, but it doesn't show a mounted EFI after installing Clover on to my USB, any ideas?

Hi max, 

good news, you're nearly there.  the EFI isn't visible by default.  you need to either use clover configuration tool or diskutil (right click the SYSTEM disk and mount it).  you can confirm its the right disk by seeing the EFI folder inside it.  i stuffed up my boot partitions (accidentally deleted the master boot record) first time so you might need to wipe the whole disk and use the sp3 installation image to set them up again.

Hi max,

good news, you're nearly there. the EFI isn't visible by default. you need to either use clover configuration tool or diskutil (right click the SYSTEM disk and mount it). you can confirm its the right disk by seeing the EFI folder inside it. i stuffed up my boot partitions (accidentally deleted the master boot record) first time so you might need to wipe the whole disk and use the sp3 installation image to set them up again.

Thanks for all the help! I got it up and running

Does the battery die really fast for you guys?

• Like 1

Hey thanks so much!! I really appreciate that. I'll have to go ahead and give it a whirl.I also wanted to ask if anyone else is having any problems with USB connectivity? Every time I plug my iPhone 6 Plus in, it continually gives me the double vibrate as if it's being connected again. Neither iTunes, Finder, nor Photos recognize that it's been plugged in. Any ideas?

Just wanted to give some more detail to this. I tried rebooting both the phone and Surface many times, with no luck. I've also tried booting with the iPhone already connected and haven't gotten anywhere. It still just continually shows the lightning bolt, asks if I want to trust the computer, then does it all over again.

I tried it with a different cable and different iPhone too, and get the exact same results.

If I plug in a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, it charges just fine the whole time, without any issues whatsoever.

Both iPhones and the Note 3 all work and charge just fine if I'm booted into Windows.

No one else having any such issues?

Just wanted to give some more detail to this. I tried rebooting both the phone and Surface many times, with no luck. I've also tried booting with the iPhone already connected and haven't gotten anywhere. It still just continually shows the lightning bolt, asks if I want to trust the computer, then does it all over again.

I tried it with a different cable and different iPhone too, and get the exact same results.

If I plug in a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, it charges just fine the whole time, without any issues whatsoever.

Both iPhones and the Note 3 all work and charge just fine if I'm booted into Windows.

No one else having any such issues?

Same thing happened to me.. keeps charging and uncharging, over and over again. But works fine when I connect with a USB hub, phone connect to usb hub, and usb hub to sp3.

Same thing happened to me.. keeps charging and uncharging, over and over again. But works fine when I connect with a USB hub, phone connect to usb hub, and usb hub to sp3.

I noticed this behavior on my Hackintosh Desktop. If I plug in my Midi-Keyboard directly to USB port, it won´t work. Tried both 2.0 and 3.0. No luck at all. When I connect it to a USB hub it works perfectly. 

Sleep is working on my Surface Pro. But even in Standby mode it uses a lot of battery. This is the most annoying problem for me!! 

ok,   ive updated too 10.10.5 and had no issues. 

ive also figured out how too delete the entire surface hard drive by booting into osx on a pen drive, format the entire surface hard drive and make it a complete OSX hard drive.  

Hey Scubasteve, 

how did you manage to do this without the SP3 inserting its microshaft dominance on reboot.  I can wipe the partitions away all I like, but as soon as I reboot, microshaft reformats to a Windows + 3 hidden partitions and wants me to reinstall winblows.  i'm all ears mate!  I'm booting off the Yosemite install usb i used for lonely's install guide.  did you do that or some other wizardry?

-- k, i think i'm on the right path.  I went into terminal>diskutil and tackled all the hidden partitions from there.  As a side note to anyone hitting a problem where they can't manipulate the partitions anymore, you might need to convert your partition back to HFS from CoreStorage.  http://awesometoast.com/yosemite-core-storage-and-partition-woes/

stevebramley

Step 1 - install this tutorial

Step 2 - update too 10.10.5 and make sure everything is working like it can
Step 3 - have 2 spare pen or external hard drives ready
Step 4 - do this tutorial again on 1 pen/external drive
Step 5 - Boot into that pen drive so you’re not touching the surface HDD
Step 6 - Using Disk Utility image the surface hdd too the 3rd pen/external drive
Step 7 - once completed reboot and log back into the 2nd drive
Step 8 - using disk utility format the surface hdd too 1 journaled partition
Step 9 - using disk utility move the image from the 3rd pen drive too the surface hdd
Step 10 - once done, reboot into the surface hdd mac partition
Step 11 - now bootcamp will work
Step 12 - get a windows 8-10 iso (legally) and create a bootable usb
Step 12 - go through boot camp steps and create a 2nd partition for windows
Step 13 - it will format too fat32, but open disk utility and reformat too free space
Step 14 - keep the bootcamp usb inserted reboot into windows usb installer
Step 15 - format the bootcamp partition and install windows
Step 16 - run all windows update and it should activate on its own (took 3 days)
Step 17 - now boot back into mac partition
Step 18 - purchase and install vmware fusion 8
Step 19 - select bootcamp and it should find your windows partition
Step 20 - you’ll now have your active windows partition running while running OS X

have fun

proof - 

• Like 1