Crash just before desktop appears

chasingcharlie

3 posts in this topic

I'm on a GA-EP45-US3P with an EVGA GeForce 210, which has always worked fine. Recently, I bought a new CPU and took the machine down to replace it. That is ALL I did, although I did load the hard drive is in a USB device to view it with another computer.

Now, just before the desktop appears -- the -v switch goes through all the way -- it restarts.

Things I've tried: putting the old CPU back in.

Changed the video card to another one I had.

I have a backup on a USB drive but when I try to use it, it gives a kernel not found message.

1. Can I reinstall Mavericks (it's never been upgraded).

2. Is the kernel included in Chameleon so I can install it on the USB drive to get to my backup?

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to get this computer back running? I have two machines but this one is my favorite and has ALL the software on it I need to use, such as a purchased copy of iLife and several Web authoring programs I need.

(It's OK to send me email to the address listed. ANY help appreciated!)

thanks

Charlile

If you can boot with -x (safe mode) then it's video card related. Usually.

Your BIOS settings were probably reset when the CPU was changed. Make sure they are the same as they were before.

If you're using a patched DSDT, boot with DSDT=none (DSDT must be all caps).

If that works, then you'll need to extract your DSDT again (with the new CPU installed and BIOS settings finalized) and patch it again, same as the old one.

Chameleon does not come with a kernel :D They'd have to include every kernel from every update since Tiger lol...and it would probably be illegal.

You can't just copy the contents of a hard drive to another hard drive and then expect it to be bootable. A simple file copy does not copy the boot sector and the boot loader that's installed on it. Even cloning software does not do that (mostly). The kernel is an invisible file and if you simply did "select all" and dragged everything over to the USB drive then the kernel would not have been copied over - it wasn't selected because it is a hidden file.

You can try copying mach_kernel from the root of your hard drive to the root of your USB drive (be creative)

I have never attempted installing OS X on top of an existing installation so I can't guarantee that it's safe to do so.

• Like 1

Nope, won't work in safe mode; does the same thing. I'll unhide the files and copy it (kernel) to the usb drive. The USB drive had been bootable so I don't understand why it isn't now. I'll copy the kernel over and install chameleon and see if that works.

thanks for you reply and I will check the BIOS; that could be the problem.

thanks

Charlie