Nvidia GTX 460M sleeps (black screen) before login screen

BBond007

7 posts in this topic

I have a Toshiba Qosimo x505-894 with Nvidia GTX 460m GPU.

The machine has a 740QM i7 CPU which is Clarksfield.

I have installed OSX Yosemite using the clover bootloader. 

The issue is that after Apple logo and boot progress bar the display goes blank.

The machine is working and if you close the lid and wait for it to sleep and then reopen the lid, the video wakes up and all is good as GTX 460m and seems to work correctly until you reboot.

Ive tried various options in the config.plist but nothing I have tried works to eliminate the problem.

If I can get this working smoothly it will be really nice. Apple never made a 18.4" notebook :)

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Hello!

Which SMBios are you using?

Have fun.

MacBookPrc8,1

should I be using something else?

Other than requiring sleep/wake it seems like the video is the correct resolution and accelerated and detected correctly as "Toshiba GeForce 460M with 1536mb RAM in "System Report"

thanks 

Hello!

The best way for you is to use a SMbios of MBP with Nvidia gfx, perhaps MBP 6,1/6,2. If you want to stay at your used SMbios, try to follow the suggestions of the linked post and add the Systemboard ID of MBP 8,1: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300375-cant-install-black-screen/?p=2053705

Have fun.

Well, you are definitely onto something with the SMBios.

MBP 6,1 & 6,2 do the same thing, but MacPro5,1 seems allow it to boot without the screen going to sleep. Very strange?

Thanks!

Hello!

For MP 5,1 there is a Nvidia gfx card. Therefore it has built-in OSX support.

I prefer the method with editing the AGDP.kext. It is working with Clover and Chameleon.

Have fun.

PS: After changing SMBios one has to boot the first time by ignoring caches.

Hello!

For MP 5,1 there is a Nvidia gfx card. Therefore it has built-in OSX support.

I prefer the method with editing the AGDP.kext. It is working with Clover and Chameleon.

Have fun.

PS: After changing SMBios one has to boot the first time by ignoring caches.

Thanks. I'll try that this evening. I think using the MP5,1 SMBIOS is what is causing this error with Apple. "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

I managed to get Conexant CX20583 (Pebble HSF) audio going. I ended up having to boot ubuntu to figure out what type of chip it had :)

I have not looked at linux in a long time, but its now way easier to find "Terminal.app" under OS X than it is to find x-term in ubuntu desktop. 

I ordered this WIFI adapter because I don't think the RTL8191SE is going to be compatible... plus its old steam-powered 2.4 ghz technology anyway... may as well be using a pair of acoustic modems connected by tin cans with string...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JESLUWQ

Cheers!

BTW I have an A1200 with 060 & HDMI that runs 3.1(ClassicWB) and not 3.9 (i see your OS 3.9 avatar) :)