Acer Veriton M680G Success

themacmeister

4 posts in this topic

Got given an Acer Veriton M680G yesterday - 3.2GHz Core-i5 650. 4GB RAM etc. etc. Pretty much stock standard machine.

Was also given a 1GB NVIDIA 9500 GTX, so I figured I'd build another Hackintosh.

Had to recreate a stock boot USB using MyH*ck. I suffered whitescreen issues trying with the built-in GMA graphics. Once I added the 9500 GTX, things went very smoothly indeed.

Still have no sound from the ALC888S, but I am looking into solutions for this issue.

Networking working fine with the E1000 kext (latest version from MultiBe*st).

USB is a bit strange, but using USBBUSFix=Yes seems to have tamed it. During install, I need to detach USB stick and reinsert it in another port... weird!

Tried a GeekBench3 benchmark, only was about 5400, but I was using 3 non-matching memory modules (2GB x 2 + 4GB). I will now switch to two matching modules, and hopefully dual-channel will see that score get up over 7000. My Core-i7 2600k score is 12177. Judging from the GeekBench scores, it is only dual-core with hyper-threading, as the multi-core scores are nowhere near 4x the single core speed (more like 3x).

I will re-benchmark tonight, and retry sound solutions now I am at 10.9.5

More news as it happens...

Ouch, benchmark did not improve with matching RAM (better put the other RAM back). I believe the two chips I have (matching) are 1066 DDR3, and the other single 4GB DIMM (which only shows as 2GB - sigh) is 1333.

This computer DOES NOT LIKE SLEEPING, actually, it slept quite well, but waking was a disaster (startup/shutdown spinning wheel of death). It the said my CMOS checksum was invalid -- beginning to think I need to patch AppleRTC to stop that occurring. Anyways, unless I can get the benchmark speed up to where it should belong for a 3.2GHz Quad-Core, it may go back to Windows, or even Linux.

I reinstalled Win7, and it only got 6.9 on the CPU in WEI. My Phenom X4 at only 2.4GHz beats that (it is an actual quad-core), not a hyper-threading dual-core.

Now I have 10.9.5 reinstalled by itself, and things are looking better. Still only getting 4,900 on GeekBench3, but I can live with that.

• 4 weeks later...