Can we revise avatar rules?

18 posts in this topic

A few years ago animated GIFs were banned from InsanelyMac. This was done due to people using dialup

However, this makes absolutely no sense as you can limit the size of avatar uploads.

A 100KB animated GIF is the same size as a 100KB JPG, yet one is banned and the other is not. Bandwidth arguments are not valid because they are the same size

It boggles the mind that we still have this rule even after all these years. We are supposed to be a group of people who are computer wizzes yet some of us dont understand that a 100KB transfer is the same regardless of the file type. It makes us look very foolish like we dont know what we are doing.

hello

if u remember .. it have several problems with avatar animated

so for me is good rule .. u can leave the field without nothing .. so many users here do that..

good hack

2. No animations of any kind. (In respect of dial up users)

Thats what the rules read. Thats the full justification. I dont remember any other talk about it besides that. If you could direct me to a thread where there was chat about how animated avatars were screwing the forum up I would appreciate it

I agree the rules are out of date and should be modified. Here's the deal with animated avatars.

Personally I have no objection to a subtle animation, but a flashing/seizure inducing avatar is heavily annoying and distracting.

Animated avatars would make InsanelyMac look like Myspace in 2003. Or a circus, a fairground, or a child's birthday party.

Thats besides my point

Its one thing to ban them because they suck, its another thing to ban them because we are so stupid to not understand that a 100kb animated GIF transfer uses the exact same bandwidth as a 100kb JPG

I agree that's a dumb reason for banning animated gifs. I am proposing a better reason. I agree with Poco but I don't think we can trust users to stick with "subtle animation" lol

Imagine one of those guides that we have, you know the ones with 50 different font sizes, littered with emoticons, but now written by a user with an avatar going on in an endless animated loop. Now imagine users with garish, neon colored avatars that should come with an epilepsy warning full-quoting the entire guide just to say thank you.

We might as well hang up a disco ball and blow confetti.

"Animated avatars are banned because people don't know how to behave"

Yes, I know my avatar is not exactly subtle but at least the apple in the corner isn't color-cycling.

• Like 3

Yes, imagine Allan's three electrons constantly zooming around at breakneck speed and Poco's colored rock-man doing the Harlem Shake.

Not only would my Apple be color cycling, Amiga Deluxe Paint style, but I'd include an mp3 in my sig with an irritating little jingle to accompany my avatar. With vocals. It would have the ¨ above the a in Häagen-Dasz jumping across the words like the ball indicator in a karaoke video.

• Like 1

Yes, imagine Allan's three electrons constantly zooming around at breakneck speed and Poco's colored rock-man doing the Harlem Shake.

lol lol lol 

The Poco's avatar will would be the more funny thing here, doing a Harlem Shake of course  :lol:

And my vote to use .gif Avatar is: No  -_- Is not necessary for a Forum.

I agree that's a dumb reason for banning animated gifs. I am proposing a better reason. I agree with Poco but I don't think we can trust users to stick with "subtle animation" lol

My words. I use an ad blocker for a reason: I don't want stuff to blink, wave around, etc when I browse the internet. Especially when I read text (forums), everything that moves is distracting.

I would propose to write down another reason for no gifs. But the file size could be higher if the server allows that.

• Like 1