Can I upgrade?

bestkid

9 posts in this topic

That depends on your configuration. It pays off to know exactly which patches and settings are required in order to run OS X on your PC.

Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to figure that out when running a distro that installs patched system files without your knowledge or consent.

Either way it's recommended to do a fresh install, and not use a distro.

Using a fresh hard drive helps. This way you can still boot into Mountain Lion and fix things from there until you get it right.

To be honest, even though I've installed a distro, it looks exactly the same as a normal Mac and plus I even went and got some kexts all by myself. Although, I haven't really been into hackintosh forums for two years so I forgot everything. So, I guess I'll just listen to a experienced user. Anyways, where can I get a fresh copy of Yosemite? I guess I'll just copy and paste all my data into an external hard drive and copy it back once i get Yosemite.

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Fullquote deleted. Please don't quote entire posts when replying directly below them.

Yosemite can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Once you have the installer you need to prepare it so that it can boot on your PC and install the OS to your hard drive. You can use an 8GB flash drive for this, work on it from your Mountain Lion install until it boots on its own. We have several guides to choose from that will teach you how to do this. I can't recommend a specific guide because I'm still running Mavericks.

You can't go by what a distro looks like, cosmetics aren't the issue. The issue is that distros are historically patched up the wazoo in order to work on as broad a range of different PC configurations as possible. The idea was to make it easy, but in reality this makes a distro installation *a lot harder* to troubleshoot than a retail installation that you have done yourself.

Thanks, I've downloaded Yosemite and made a USB Installer using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. Hopefully, It'll work. However, I tried it on my laptop and when it comes to launch the installer, the apple logo comes on for a split scond then the whole laptop reboots. How do I fix this?