Hack Pro Build for Pro Tools 11

StoicMeerkat

1 post in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on building my first hackintosh and was hoping to receive the forum's blessing first. This rig's main purpose will be to run Pro Tools 11 with my Digi 003 rack as an interface. Down the road, I hope to install an RME AES32 card to replace the 003. 2 years ago I tried to build a dedicated Pro Tools 8 PC rig but after endless troubleshooting it was still slightly glitchy and useable, so I have trepidation about dumping more money into what could just be one costly experiment.

My potential build is as follows:

GIGABYTE GA-Z97M-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLT2K8G3D1608ET3LX0

SAMSUNG 850 EVO-Series MZ-75E120B/AM 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

EVGA 02G-P4-2742-KR GeForce GT 740 Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5GHz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP/WPA/WPA2

Sony Optiarc High Speed SATA DVD RW Burner Drive Black with DVD+R DL Overburn Model 5280S-CB-PLUS

Rosewill SilentNight-500 500W Continuous @50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS PLATINUM, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire ...

I plan to use the Apple trackpad and wireless keyboard, which both operate through BT. I had read of issues with hackintoshes and problems with BT but those seemed to only be issues with older builds. Can anyone confirm?

I opted for the Rosewill SilentNight 500W PSU as this rig will be used for a lot of remote recording where a control room will not be an option, and I want it to be as silent as possible. I assume the PSU makes little difference in terms of compatibility, or am I mistaken?

I'm considering Noctua exhaust fans but want to see if they will be neccesary first.

I plan to run Mountain Lion for the OS.

I will get two SS HDD's so that if I want to create a PC rig or different rig for something else I can boot from that drive down the road, but my primary goal is to have Pro Tools running as smoothly as possible first.

Looking for other graphic card options (if any) as I will not be doing any heavy 3d rendering or anything of the sort.

Also wondering if it's worth the save $80 buck by going down to the mATX build Mobo in terms of long-term comparability, upgrading, and performance.

The components will be installed in a 4U server chassis case.

Any opinions, insight, or wisdom would be greatly appreciated (particularly from those who run Pro Tools on a hackintosh build!). Thanks in advance!

Best,

James