USB Keyboard Freezes At Windows Boot Manager When Booting With Clover

Clover Windows Boot Manager Keyboard USB Freezing Safe Mode Startup Repair Bootloader

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

VoiceOfTheSoul99

VoiceOfTheSoul99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello.

On my Hackintosh I am dualbooting OS X Yosemite with Windows 7, using the latest version of Clover. Yosemite works fine, but there seems to be a problem when I boot into Windows. If Windows boot manager boots straight into Windows then there is no problem, however if the options come up asking me if I want to enter Safe Mode, or the option for startup repair, my USB keyboard freezes at that screen. This cause problems because If startup repair is selected I cannot select a normal boot and I get stuck in a Startup Repair loop, or if I want to access safe mode, I can't because my USB keyboard becomes unresponsive. If I boot Windows without Clover then there isn't a problem, but I want to use clover so I can select between OS's. There seems to be a problem with clover. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks.

My Motherboard is an aSRock Fatal1ty z77 Profesiional and my keyboard is an Ozone Blade gaming keyboard. I have tried a different keyboard, but still have the problem.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 775 posts

This happens because you're chain-booting Windows using legacy-boot from Clover.  By that time, UEFI driver has taken over USB, and legacy bios can no longer be used to access the keyboard.

If you're using UEFI boot, you only have one option - which is to switch to chain-booting Windows using UEFI boot (using bootmgfw.efi instead of bootmgr).

If you're using legacy boot to start clover you have two options

• One is to switch to chain-booting Windows using UEFI boot.
  • The other is to switch from using boot6 to boot7.  boot7 keeps legacy bios in control of USB and SATA instead of using UEFI drivers for them.

VoiceOfTheSoul99

VoiceOfTheSoul99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the reply. I understand what you are saying. I was using Clover as Legacy, and decided to swap to using it as UEFI. My graphics card didn't support UEFI boot, but I have successfully updated the vBIOS so I can now disable CSM. However, when CSM is disabled none of my boot devices show up. I understand that boot devices without EFI partition may not show, but I have installed Clover for UEFI boards and on the EFI partition, yet I still can't boot to it when CSM is disabled because it is not showing up.

Do you know why this is happening?

Thanks,
Jacob.
Here is a picture of my boot menu. As you can see there are no options for boot devices. I have also tried changing Fast Boot, and Secure Boot options but my OS X drive still won't show.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 775 posts

I think I was misunderstood.

You don't have to switch to starting Clover using UEFI boot instead of legacy boot.

You can either

- Boot legacy Clover using boot7 instead of boot6 and leave everything else the same.

OR

- Keep booting legacy Clover using boot6, but chain-boot Windows using Windows UEFI Boot. This is more complicated.  You need to copy bootmgfw.efi to \efi\microsoft\boot, and also create a UEFI-oriented BCD registry hive in \efi\microsoft\boot\BCD.  The latter part is complicated, and you'll have to search the web to find out how...  (There's a Microsoft tool bcdboot that can build BCD, but when run out of legacy Windows 7, it refuses to build UEFI BCD.  In Windows 8, it has a command-line option to build UEFI BCD).

VoiceOfTheSoul99

VoiceOfTheSoul99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply. I know I don't have to switch, but I want to because when UEFI mode is enabled my graphics card supports my resolution and I can have fast boot. Do you know why I can't see any boot options in UEFI mode though?

Thanks.
Also may ask, what do you mean by boot6 and boot7?

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 775 posts

How are you starting Clover today?

VoiceOfTheSoul99

VoiceOfTheSoul99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm using Chimera to boot into OS X using legacy boot. From here I install clover for UEFI motherboards, but then when I restart and switch to UEFI mode (disable CSM) nothing shows up in boot options so I can't boot into clover or anything else.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 775 posts

On my Hackintosh I am dualbooting OS X Yosemite with Windows 7, using the latest version of Clover.

I'm using Chimera to boot into OS X using legacy boot. From here I install clover for UEFI motherboards, but then when I restart and switch to UEFI mode (disable CSM) nothing shows up in boot options so I can't boot into clover or anything else.

So, which is it?

VoiceOfTheSoul99

VoiceOfTheSoul99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I said I was using clover I was using legacy clover, but now I want to use UEFI clover. I did a clean install of os x and am using chimera which I have on a ##### flash drive in order to boot into my os x and try an install clover as UEFI, but when I restart and go into UEFI mode no boot devices show so I can't get into clover UEFI.

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Legend

• Developers
  • 775 posts

If you got rid of legacy Clover then your question in post #1 is moot - problem solved.

jura_11

jura_11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Hi guys

I've same issue with dual booting,my keyboard freeze and my Clover is installed in Legacy mode and my second OS is Windows 7

I've question,what is best way to switch from boot6 to boot7,really I'm not sure what is best way and if someone could let me know steps and how to do that

Thanks in advance,Jura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy