Freeze after Waking up from Sleep (Disk I/0 error)

pcpaul

5 posts in this topic

Right after wake-up it freezes, I can only use apps which were loaded into memory before sleep, can't open any new apps, can't do anything that wasn't loaded into memory, have to force the manual restart. because clicking on a restart option in Apple's menu, doesn't do anything, sometimes it KPs, stating the reason that it could no open or access launchd.

It works completely perfect before sleep, everything you could think of, works just perfect.

So before sleep I opened a Console app to follow what is happening, it shows multiple errors stating:

SATA WARNING: Enable auto-activate failed. 
disk3s3: I/0 error

that's the exact partition, where Yosemite resides.

So it explains what I've meant by saying "loaded into memory", because after waking up drive obviously can't be accessed due to that error.

What I've tried:

1. Changing SATA ports, changing sata data and power cables, 

2. Checked Disk for errors, it's Seagate barracuda HDD, ran Seagate's test utility on windows, everything passed perfect, that explains it working perfectly after first boot or restart. 

3. Ran memtest on RAM, two loops, everything passed, also tried to boot using only one stick, I have four in total, painstakingly checked all four that way, everything works except wake up, the same wake problem with all four, so it's not memory it passed all tests.

4. Tried various settings in BIOS (enabling disabling), changing power states, like disabling S3, S5, S6. checking SATA settings, visualization, memory profile/ performance settings, boot order, hands off thing, reset bios with jumpers, everything I could think of.

5. Flashed Bios, it was F8, now F14.

6. Booted into Snow installation DVD and used Disk Utility to repair it..

7. Tired to change Hibernationmode to 25, in that case it goes to sleep, but once I push start button to wake it up, it boots straight from the "beginning", as if, instead of going to sleep it did shut down.

8. Run Intel test utility on CPU.

I think important part:

I've installed Windows 10 9926 preview on a different drive, on Windows I've installed Paragon HFS for Windows® 8 Free Edition, before Windows installation I didn't have any problems at all, sleep was always working just perfect, On a drive where I have Yosemite, I've also have Mountain Lion and Mavericks, all three are having the same wake up issue, after installing Windows on a different drive (not a partition, but a completely different drive).

Tried to uninstall Paragon HFS+, booted again into Yosemite, the same sleep problem.

Before installing Paragon, I've tried Macdrive, but it didn't worked, it installed itself, but due to not being compatible with Windows 10 it didn't worked, So I've uninstalled it and installed Paragon.

So it works perfect before sleep, passed everything on the earth so far, but once it goes into sleep after wake up, drive probably doesn't wake up, something happens to it, to SATA, something that probably Windows have caused. SATA ports are working, it's something with a drive and more likely with a OS itself, something I can't think of, something with a sleep, some setting/command went awry. 

Windows 10 sleep worked perfectly in preview builds, but in this one it wakes up on its own, sometimes right away in 30 seconds period and sometimes half an hour later, but once it wakes up, it functions normally, everything is ok.  

Unfortunately I didn't checked Yosemite sleep while running previous W10 builds, so it's hard to say whether this problem crept in with a first Windows installation or with a 9926 build. 

Sorry for a long post, hopefully some can shed some light on this.

Bootloader for Yosemite is Clover, for Mavericks and ML Chameleon.

Solved it
For future google look ups
HDD I/O error after Sleep, Wake up, Seagate, mac.

Turn outs there are some hidden settings on HDDs, accessible through some apps running on DOS.

After obsessing that that wasn't hardrive's fault and that something was changed by OS on HDD itself, I was googling how to reset a firmware, I've found others having identical issues with seagate HDDs, I ran into Automatic acoustic management (AAM), I knew I was on the right path, so[/size] digging f[/size]urther I discovered Power-Up In Standby (PUIS). That is it  :hyper: 

Thanks to sambul61 at reboot.pro forum, I downloaded awesome DOS utility called HDAT2, guy who've made it deserved a medal  :thumbsup_anim: 

So I downloaded Boot Diskette IMG HDAT2 version and "burned" that image to USB using Win32DiskImager, booted into it and disabled Power-Up In Standby (PUIS). Sleep is alright now  :sorcerer: 
Wonder which OS did me that bear's favor  :cat: because for mere mortals it's practically untraceable... I myself discovered it only because I was literally obsessed about resetting hardware and believing that some OS command doesn't "get through".

What that PUIS was doing was, once OS wakes up it says to a drive wake the f*** up, normally drive will wake up, but once that setting is on it will wake up, but stay in the bed for a while.... you basically have to bring the bucket full of cold water to make it get out of bed (aka restart).

Because if it only woke up, but didn't fully get out of the bed the moment you asked, the next time system needs it, HDD will say to the OS f*** off, if you have a problem turn off your station... (well, that's exactly what I had to do)

Here's a video transcript of a drive and OS conversation on my system with PUIS ON.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you pcpaul !! Been bashing my head with this one for a while now. Been having this problem with my Samsung 1TB drive for a while now. Issue solved.

Yeah, this was quite a frustrating thing for me too, I've probably even shorten my HDD's lifespan by repeatedly checking for bad sectors lol  :lol: