6460b wifi whitelist: I've bypassed it in Windows. Can this information be used to bypass it in Clover?

YoQuieroTacoBell

3 posts in this topic

I came because I have an HP 6460b Probook, and I had noticed that it has a whitelist for wifi cards, so my Broadcom wifi card wouldn't work. I did some research and found this page: http://milksnot.com/content/project-dirty-laundry-how-defeat-whitelisting-without-bios-modding

I used the same tools as the author, although I have a different model than the author so I couldn't follow his instructions exactly. I had to figure out what to do for the 6460b. In Windows, I was able to use the mentioned BAR-Edit program to go in and manually edit the value of the memory register FED1F418 from 1FF81FEB to 1FF01FEB, which disabled HP's whitelist until the system reboots. Then in Device Manager I was able to scan for new hardware and have it detect my wifi card. After installing the drivers for my wireless card, it works just fine(until I reboot the system, after which I have to repeat the process).

The author mentioned being able to use write_dword in the GRUB bootloader to change the value, which made his previously disabled wifi card accessible to his operating systems(because it would change the value every time his system would boot).

The card I have working in Windows is an AzureWave card with a Broadcom chipset, the one that comes with the GA-Z87X-UD5 TH. I took the card out of my desktop Hack Pro, because I have a native Apple wifi+bluetooth card installed in it, which works better.

I had come to ask if anyone knows whether something similar can be done using Clover, because I had found a lot of people who had 6460b systems and had the same problem, and I thought this would be something useful. I'd love if this information could be used to let me use my wireless card within OS X, because the card that came in this system is an Intel 6005, which has no OS X support at all.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Buy a compatible Broadcom wifi card for 6460b, <25$ and works well.

Well, that is not really an answer to the question, is it? (although I agree it is probably easiest).

The question actually is if the Clover bootloader has the option to do this as well?

Seems to be a fairly simply solution if possible, saves screwing and spending money on HP hardware, which I am sure many people would enjoy.

Does anyone have a better answer than this?

For my 6460b with latest BIOS the laptop hangs with a red wireless light if I try any other wireless card than the original.

Besides that, only my DVD drive does not work.

Suggestion for another solution: use a RT2870 or RTL8192 USB wireless devices, the Mavericks drivers work on Yosemite.