IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vincerutabaga said:

I tried this version with I219V2 chip on z370 asus motherboard. It doesn't work.

Sorry but this is nonsense because the changes don't affect your configuration!

Mieze :cat:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, Mieze said:

Sorry but this is nonsense because the changes don't affect your configuration!

Well after seeing your reply I try again, but the driver don't load. I am on last mojave.

Is there something else to do, expect from replacing the file?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Is there a way to get i225-V support but in older OSx version like High Sierra since official driver support for i225LM was just introduced later in Catalina (10.5.4).

I know this is not a priority anymore since it seems everyone with z490 mobo running Catalina has solved the problem but it would be nice to have support in older systems (for whom still do not plan to update)

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.40.49 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I am currently experimenting with an Intel NUC8i5, OpenCore 0.5.9, Catalina 10.15.4, EFI folder from csrutil. I want to use the NUC as a media player with a 4k TV and my HIFi. Everything is fine, amazingly fine actually, but the Ethernet is not fine. I could use the wifi, I know, but the bandwith is not optimal to stream in 4K and I am not a wifi-fan. Wired connection is king.

The Ethernet is a I219-V, kext version: as.acidanthera.mieze.IntelMausi (1.0.3), that is loaded (info from kextstat). Wireless and bluetooth is disabled in the BIOS. The network works at startup but a few minutes later the network speed drops to ca 0.5kbps and stays there. Lot of timeouts, dropped LAN-transfers, not good. There is a resurrection sometimes, randomly (ethernet back to normal speed) but it not last long. After restart: the same.

Have you seen this problem before?

I am one step from a (for my purposes) perfect Mini, this ethernet thing is really frustrating.

Suggestions are very appreciated!

Edited by Nimrod
double post

• 2 weeks later...

Been using this kext and for a long time. So thankful for the dev for this driver. The only issue that I face is that I'm not able to see network throughput in either activity monitor and iStatmenus. For long I thought it had something to do with my Ryzentosh system but somehow everything works fine if I use my broadcom wifi card to connect to the internet. Any solutions?

@Mieze I cannot thank you enough for doing God's work. Your kext has worked flawlessly for so many years. I use someone's fork to enable WOL from shutdown.

My recent motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Vision G does not have Intel I219-V but has I225-V LM and I use Aquantia AQC-107. Is it possible to enable such setting for these two Ethernet adapters? I know it's not within macOS specs but ability to wake PC remotely is such a fantastic thing to have. Right now, I have to reboot into Windows everytime and then shut down my Hackintosh for WOL. It is such an inconvenience.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mieze

I am trying to install OS X Mojave on HP 6300 pro sff.
I don't have another mac nearby. My option is start with the Retail DVD of 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I am stuck because the system does not recognize my network card (Intel 82579LM).
If I connect the network cable the pc freezes in a few seconds.
In a forum they advised me to use one of your drivers (IntelMausiEthernet) as they support my Network card. But it does not work.
I think the problem is that your drivers support the card but they no longer work with OS X 10.6.8.

Can you help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance

José Luis

-----------------------
HP 6300 Pro sff
Intel i5-3470

NVIDIA Geforce GT 710

@surubiologo I developed the driver for Yosemite and Mavericks almost 6 years ago. As there have been significant changes in the network driver interface with 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9, it's impossible to make it work with Snow Leopard. Sorry!

On 9/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, Mieze said:

@Nimrod Sounds like a power management issue or an interrupt related problem. Another possible reason could be an ACPI error.

@Mieze, thank you!

I had to put the project on ice because the family needed "something that works ASAP" in the living room. It is an Ubuntu-system right now. But I want to troubleshoot the issues with the MacOS when I will have time to do that.

Thank you for you hard work with this driver, I use it every day in my 2 Hackintoshes and it works great. :-)

On 4/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, ITzTravelInTime said:

I strongly reccommend you to have a strong c and c++ blackground as well as a good experience in working at low level and with the hardware (and also understand some machine architecture and machine language). There are some books i know of to leran the os architecture and i/o kit (but it's all old stuff and i didn't find the included explainations good enought in some instances, but they are better than nothing as a starting point) which are: OS X and IOS kernel programming and OS X internals.

I also reccomend you to check out the source code of some simple apple-made drivers (see some older source code from apple like the systems kexts from os x 10.6 or 10.5) and some simple open source drivers, for example for the sound drivers you can check out the cmi8738 driver.

Consider that a lof of stuff in those old books and source codes is outdated, for example you may need to be carefoul because of all the changes in how memory allocation works.

Final considerations are that you may want to work using an older version of xcode and an older version of mac os x since a lot of stuff reguarding the development of some kexts got deprecated or havely changed, and also consider giving your users some backwards compatibility like making the driver compatible with mountain lion or even snow leopard on 32 bit machines (people like owners of the older mac pros will appreciate that) and consider to make your projects open source, the hackintosh commiunity can be very untrusty of closed source projects and having your project to be open source is also a nice way to get help and feedback and have someone to keep the development of them after you abbandon them.

I learned a lot after following your advices. I know about how it commnicate between kernel and kernel extension.

There is something I am confused when debug IntelMausiEthernet.

There are some struct in IntelMausiEthernet project,  for example e1000_info, which define info about  hardware. But how do I know the struct info about ethernet device(x722) I want to develop?

It got error when IntelMausi::start function called by kernel.(Ethernet [IntelMausi]: Failed to get adapter data with error)

I know it is a big mission for me. What should I do ?  

Thx again.

• 1 month later...

Attached you'll find version 2.5.3d1 of IntelMausiEthernet which resolves an issue with lost IPv6 addresses after wakeup when WoL is enabled. As there aren't many changes, I'm quite sure that it will work as expected and attached only a release build which requires Mojave or above

Have fun!

IntelMausiEthernet-V2.5.3d1zip.zip

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

I'm expereincing some very strange behavior with the physical onboard LAN.

Auros Z370 Motherboard

OpenCore (lastest Dec update)

Catalina (latest update)

Machine boots fine, LAN connects normally.  Speed test is great.  (I have 1GB Internet and see about 800MB speed)
However, after about 2-3 minutes, the LAN starts connecting and disconnecting.  It constantly cycles.  Additionally, I see that the hadware sometimes auto-sets itself to 10M.  The only entries in the logs just show connection up and connectoion down.

I have tested this LAN connetdion with a Linux laptop and it works perfect.  So, no problems with router or cable.

Any idea why this would happen? 

Thanks!

@Mieze thank you for the continued updates to this driver/kext.  I've been following this thread and updating whenever you release updates.

Unfortunately my machine experiences an issue which seems to affect many other users too.  When "Wake for network access" is enabled, the machine will wake from sleep with very slow/poor WiFi performance and speeds.  Disabling that option either in system preferences or via pmset directly makes this issue disappear.  Problem is, I would like to utilize wake on LAN with this machine so I need this option enabled (which works great with your kext, by the way).

Have you ever heard about this issue or experienced it? I'm unsure if there's a way we can disable that option in preferences while still utilizing the WOL feature.  I've also done some testing, and I believe if I wake the machine and then let it sit idle for a few seconds/minutes before actually using the machine, the WiFi speeds are normal?!? I need to test this more to see if this is just a coincidence, but if it isn't, then maybe I could implement some sort of kext that prevents the machine from fully waking for x amount of seconds after the initial wake? Seems a bit hacky, but I can't think of any other solutions at this point.

EDIT: Nevermind - this problem has been solved!  Even though my card is native and does not need any third party kexts, by installing AirportBrcmFixup, it will disable the WOL specifically for the WiFi adapter.  This allows me to keep "Wake for network access" enabled but without the slow WiFi upon wake from sleep!

Edited by CoBrA2168

On 1/5/2021 at 11:20 PM, noah977 said:

I'm expereincing some very strange behavior with the physical onboard LAN.

Auros Z370 Motherboard

OpenCore (lastest Dec update)

Catalina (latest update)

Machine boots fine, LAN connects normally.  Speed test is great.  (I have 1GB Internet and see about 800MB speed)
However, after about 2-3 minutes, the LAN starts connecting and disconnecting.  It constantly cycles.  Additionally, I see that the hadware sometimes auto-sets itself to 10M.  The only entries in the logs just show connection up and connectoion down.

I have tested this LAN connetdion with a Linux laptop and it works perfect.  So, no problems with router or cable.

Any idea why this would happen? 

Thanks!

Bump
@Mieze

• 2 weeks later...

@CoBrA2168 There is absolutely no connection between IntelMausiEthernet and Wifi. Both driver's operate independently and in case there is a Wifi performance issue after wakeup, it's up to Apple to fix it. With regard to WoL, the OS calls the driver to enable WoL before going to sleep and calls it to disable it after wakeup. The driver's responsibility is to program the hardware according to this setting.

@noah977 Sounds like a hardware issue. Try to select the medium manually. Try one without flow control and EEE as those options sometimes cause trouble. Also consider that there might be dust on the connector?

On 1/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, Mieze said:

@CoBrA2168 There is absolutely no connection between IntelMausiEthernet and Wifi. Both driver's operate independently and in case there is a Wifi performance issue after wakeup, it's up to Apple to fix it. With regard to WoL, the OS calls the driver to enable WoL before going to sleep and calls it to disable it after wakeup. The driver's responsibility is to program the hardware according to this setting.

@noah977 Sounds like a hardware issue. Try to select the medium manually. Try one without flow control and EEE as those options sometimes cause trouble. Also consider that there might be dust on the connector?

@Mieze thank you for the reply.  Not sure if you saw the "EDIT" in my post, but I realized that this particular WiFi issue has been solved already via AirportBrcmFixup.kext (a Lilu extension).  Basically this driver, by default, will disable WOL for any matching WiFi adapters.  This allows me to keep WOL enabled so I can use it over Ethernet with your kext, but without the nasty side affect of having broken WiFi after sleep.

I figured I'd keep my initial question/post here just in case someone else stumbles upon this very issue in the future :)  Also thanks again for your continued work on this kext.  I use it on both of my hackintosh machines and it works beautifully on both!

• 2 months later...

Hello -

I am building a hack using ASUS Z490 Gaming TUF Plus which has Intel i219-v chipset for Ethernet. I am unable to get the Mac to see the Ethernet port using either IntelMausi or IntelMausiEthernet kexts. I can confirm that the extension is loaded. I see an error that "IOACPIPlatformDevice is not serializable" in IOReg. I've used IntelMausi 1.0.5 and IntelMausiEthernet 2.5.3d1. 

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.13.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 4.25.23 PM.png

config-mod.plist

iMac.ioreg

Edited by nagha
added IOReg dump

• 1 month later...

Here is a new development version (2.5.3d3) of the driver which supports some new configuration options which can be changed in the kext's Info.plist:

• enableWakeOnAddrMatch: Enables wakeup on any packet with an address matching one of the machine's addresses (default off). Used on a server, it might be helpful to cause a wakeup when a client connects but prevents the machine from sleeping when there is network activity. It allows your server to go to sleep while all clients are off or sleeping. When a client wakes up and tries to reconnect to the server, enabling this option will cause the server to wakeup automatically in such a situation. Keep disabled unless you need it, in particular on client machines.
  • enableWakeS5: Enables WoL from S5 (default off). Keep disabled unless you need it.

The attached archive contains a debug and release build. Good luck and have fun!

IntelMausiEthernet-V2.5.d3.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3