IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

Thank you for the quick reply. Here is the log for "log show --predicate "processID == 0" --debug"

The ethernet cable was plugged in from the beginning, at around time 23:24:49 I unplugged it and at around 23:25:10 I plugged it in again.

I will look through the log now myself, but unless it's something trivial and especially if the driver itself needs a change, I'll surely need help. Thanks for your time!

There is no indication for a driver problem in the kernel logs. The NIC seems to work fine. Please check the network configuration as it might be messed up causing such strange behavior.

By the way, your ACPI data needs some attention as there are several ACPI related errors in the log file.

Mieze

• Like 1

Thank you - I will check on the ACPI errors, I saw those too. It might be due to me simply installing a fresh system with Clover and not installing any DSDT patches or what is sometimes done afterwards since the system works just fine as it is (except for the NIC). I just intalled vanilla High Sierra with nvidia web drivers and then made it bootable with Clover, that worked on my other (older) hackintosh just fine.

Unfortunately there isn't anything with the network config that I can check, I use good quality managed switches and have dozens of computers in the network including the other hackintosh and several real Macs, and all work well.

I just tried attaching another computer NIC <-> NIC with a static IPv4 address config and tried pings, but unsuccessfully. I can try to further check with Wireshark to see what happens, but I see no DHCP discovery packet received on my pfsense firewall/router, so not even the initial DHCP packet makes it out of the NIC.

I agree that there are no errors related to your driver visible in the log, so it should be working just fine. But since 0 packets make it across the wire, the NIC obviously isn't working properly, for whatever reason...

I just tried attaching another computer NIC <-> NIC with a static IPv4 address config and tried pings, but unsuccessfully. I can try to further check with Wireshark to see what happens, but I see no DHCP discovery packet received on my pfsense firewall/router, so not even the initial DHCP packet makes it out of the NIC.

I agree that there are no errors related to your driver visible in the log, so it should be working just fine. But since 0 packets make it across the wire, the NIC obviously isn't working properly, for whatever reason...

No, but I doubt that any packet has ever made it too the NIC. In case of a transmitter hang, the driver resets the chip so that there would be log messages indicating a chip reset every few seconds but there isn't anything like that. Please check the network statistics of the NIC and report back.

Mieze

• Like 1

you need to use a crossover ethernet cable not a regular one to go direct from machine to machine two of the pins are swapped.

AFAIK the chip supports auto crossover.

Mieze

• Like 1

That crossover cable hasn't been required anymore for years, NICs automatically switch it over nowadays. In any case, you are correct, Mieze, there are actually dhcp discover packets reaching the pfsense firewall/router, and it responds with a dhcp offer packet in return. Then this starts over, DHCP never completes. I was checking the wrong log before, sorry about that.

I see a curious behaviour with a static configuration: When I ping the static IP address, the received packets count in the statistics counts up for each ping that I send. So apparently the NIC receives packets. But on the host I send the pings from, I get a timeout, so the reply packet for my ping is not being sent out.

To sum this up: The NIC seems to be receiving packets but not sending out packets, other than that initial request for DHCP when it's enabled. At least that describes the problem enough for searching for it on google...

To sum this up: The NIC seems to be receiving packets but not sending out packets, other than that initial request for DHCP when it's enabled. At least that describes the problem enough for searching for it on google...

In case of a transmitter hang, the driver would reset the NIC every few seconds and unless there are those messages there is no indication for a driver bug. Looks more like a DHCP or routing problem. You might also want to try to disable EEE (select medium manually) as it sometimes causes strange things

Mieze

• Like 1

Oh. God. I just resolved it. You were right all along, it was my networking equipment. Reason was: I installed this new hardware, needed a longer ethernet cable and thus used a different switch port to plug it in, that switch port had the VLAN set to tagged instead of untagged. While Windows was able to handle this - or rather, Windows ignored it - macOS was obviously not happy.

...immediately after I set that switch port from tagged to untagged, DHCP received the address and it's resolved. So now I am one of those people "my stuff is fine, i know my stuff, it can't be my stuff... oh it was my stuff..."

Thanks for making the time. I might not have found the issue without your hint.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mieze,

after several weeks of using I must say there is something unusual: after wakeup my rig (the one in signature) often freezes, it happens mainly in Safari and after that only mouse is working and nothing else. And that point I have the only chance to hard reboot the machine. 

So I reverted back to v. 2.3.0 that still works with my mobo and these behaviours have almost disappeared. 

But As I cannot be sure it depends on your ethernet kext, before sending you any log or other data I kindly ask you to point me to some tutorial where I can learn how to make a diagnostic report from the console and its log files. I really know nothing about them. 

After that if I find some evidence that the problem can be truly related with your kext, I'll send the proper data to you. In the meanwhile if you have new betas to test I'd glad to give it a try. 

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, hackaro said:

Hi Mieze,

after several weeks of using I must say there is something unusual: after wakeup my rig (the one in signature) often freezes, it happens mainly in Safari and after that only mouse is working and nothing else. And that point I have the only chance to hard reboot the machine. 

So I reverted back to v. 2.3.0 that still works with my mobo and these behaviours have almost disappeared. 

But As I cannot be sure it depends on your ethernet kext, before sending you any log or other data I kindly ask you to point me to some tutorial where I can learn how to make a diagnostic report from the console and its log files. I really know nothing about them. 

After that if I find some evidence that the problem can be truly related with your kext, I'll send the proper data to you. In the meanwhile if you have new betas to test I'd glad to give it a try. 

Thank you! 

According to the problem description I can almost rule out a driver bug. Sounds more like a messed up system (system caches, in particular as 2.3.0. doesn't exhibit this behavior) or a general wakeup issue (DSDT, etc.). Anyways, see post#1 of this thread for instructions how to collect kernel logs in case you find something contradicting my thesis.

Mieze

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, liuhongxin1993 said:

Is it possible to use the " dsdt " method. Seeking guidance:blush:

As already stated, the X550 has a completely different architecture and can't be supported by IntelMausiEthernet. Sorry!

Mieze

On ‎2018‎年‎4‎月‎7‎日 at 8:04 PM, Mieze said:

As already stated, the X550 has a completely different architecture and can't be supported by IntelMausiEthernet. Sorry!

Mieze

x540 driver ,Can modify it?Seek guidance。。。。。:blush::blush:

SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext.zip

Linux:ixgbe-5.3.6.tar.zip

https://www.small-tree.com/support/download_category?cat_id=6

Adding 10 gigabit ethernet networking to your hackintosh is now extremely easy. You simply need to add these three kexts to your EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER folder and you will have a working card! This method works so far on the following cards:

Supported devices for SmallTreeIntel8254x.kext:

• 8086:1010 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:1011 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Fiber)
  • 8086:1012 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Fiber)
  • 8086:101d 82546EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1026 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1027 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1028 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:105e 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Also covered by AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext)
  • 8086:105f 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:1079 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107a 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107b 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107c 82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:107d 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:107e 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Fiber)
  • 8086:10a4 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • 8086:10b5 82546GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:10b9 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
  • 8086:10bc 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)

SmallTreeIntel82576.kext:

• 8086:1521 I350 Gigabit Network Connection
  • 8086:1522 I350 Gigabit Fiber Network Connection
  • 8086:1533 I210 Gigabit Network Connection (Also covered by AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext)

SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext:

• 8086:10c6 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Dual Port Network Connection
  • 8086:10c7 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Network Connection
  • 8086:10c8 82598EB 10-Gigabit AT Network Connection
  • 8086:10ec 82598EB 10-Gigabit AT CX4 Network Connection
  • 8086:10d8 82599EB 10 Gigabit Network Connection
  • 8086:10fb 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection
  • 8086:10f1 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Dual Port Network Connection
  • 8086:151c 82599 10 Gigabit TN Network Connection
  • 8086:150b 82598EB 10-Gigabit AT2 Server Adapter
  • 8086:1528 Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2
  • 8086:10fc 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Connection
  • 8086:1560 Ethernet Controller X540

Hello,

The new B360 motherboard now uses the new Intel I219-V with Device ID 8086_15BC. I tried adding the Device ID to the current 2.3.0 release but as expected, it wouldn't work. Would you mind take a look at it ?

Edited by vusun123

2 hours ago, vusun123 said:

Hello,

The new B360 motherboard now uses the new Intel I219-V with Device ID 8086_15BC. I tried adding the Device ID to the current 2.3.0 release but as expected, it wouldn't work. Would you mind take a look at it ?

Try version 2.4.0d0 which can be found here in this thread because it already supports this chip.

Mieze

Here is a new development version of the driver (2.4.0d2) which changes interaction with the ME during sleep/wake and cable plug cycles in order to resolve problems with LM chips which support AMT. All users are encouraged to test it thoroughly, in particular those with LM versions of the supported NICs. Tests should focus on sleep/wake and cable plug/unplug events.

Good luck!

Mieze :cat:

IntelMausiEthernet-V2.4.0d2.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any results so far? In particular from those users with I21xLM which used to have problems with sleep/wake?

Mieze

Edited by Mieze

On 4/11/2018 at 11:22 PM, Mieze said:

Any results so far? In particular from those users with I21xLM which used to have problems with sleep/wake?

Mieze

Nevermind

Thanks for all the work you do!

Edited by Parisi

After copying about 1TB of data back and forth to my server, I'm happy to report that speeds are the same as with your previous release and I didn't see any errors or experience any disconnect. This is running on an Intel I217V PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet.

If you need me to test anything specific please feel free to give me a holla!

Enjoy the remains of your weekend,
crash

Hello crash,

first of all thank you for your continued support. You are the best!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Unfortunately the changes I made don't seem to resolve the issues with certain LM chips so that I decided to revert back to 2.3.4d0 and made it the next official release. I already updated the prebuilt binary in the download section. As usual, source code can be found on GitHub.

Have fun!

Mieze