IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

Hi Mieze,

I updated my SSDT as suggested but am still getting the “Tx stalled” message.

I never experienced this issue during day-to-day operations; only when downloading large files from my hackintosh server (as mentioned above, only large Tx are problematic, not Rx.)  I can always reproduce the problem when copying something over 100 gigs.  Otherwise the interface runs perfectly and never experiences issues under normal use. 

I have and intel i3-6100 on a Gigabyte GA-H170N motherboard.

Not sure how to proceed… this is not an issue in every day use but I’m worried that I will run into this issue if I need to restore from a Time Machine backup from my server.

I configured the interface manually using 1000BaseT, no flow-control or EEE.  I installed the debug version of IntelMausiEthernet V2.1.0.

The following message shows up in the log:

6/11/16 11:11:19.000 AM kernel[0]: Ethernet [intelMausi]: Check tx ring for progress. txNumFreeDesc=502
6/11/16 11:11:20.000 AM kernel[0]: Ethernet [intelMausi]: Tx stalled? Resetting chipset. txDirtyDescIndex=946, STATUS=0x40080083, TCTL=0x3103f0fa.
[see attached log.rtf for more details]

Thanks,
cs45

Log.rtf

Hi Mieze,

I updated my SSDT as suggested but am still getting the “Tx stalled” message.

I never experienced this issue during day-to-day operations; only when downloading large files from my hackintosh server (as mentioned above, only large Tx are problematic, not Rx.)  I can always reproduce the problem when copying something over 100 gigs.  Otherwise the interface runs perfectly and never experiences issues under normal use. 

I have and intel i3-6100 on a Gigabyte GA-H170N motherboard.

Not sure how to proceed… this is not an issue in every day use but I’m worried that I will run into this issue if I need to restore from a Time Machine backup from my server.

I configured the interface manually using 1000BaseT, no flow-control or EEE.  I installed the debug version of IntelMausiEthernet V2.1.0.

The following message shows up in the log:

6/11/16 11:11:19.000 AM kernel[0]: Ethernet [intelMausi]: Check tx ring for progress. txNumFreeDesc=502
6/11/16 11:11:20.000 AM kernel[0]: Ethernet [intelMausi]: Tx stalled? Resetting chipset. txDirtyDescIndex=946, STATUS=0x40080083, TCTL=0x3103f0fa.

Please send me your patched SSDT and your Clover config file.

Mieze

Ok, thanks.
I try to set SMB2 instead of SMB3 : no effect.
I try to activate afp protocol, and connect to the star through afp : has better transfer rates !! but not constant !

I read further, and I see those command lines to put into the terminal :

sudo -s
Password: <your account's password here>
echo "[default]" >/etc/nsmb.conf
echo signing_required=no >>/etc/nsmb.conf
exit

After a restart, waaaahhh, the great transfer rates are back :D yeah !!

Thank you very much :P

• 3 weeks later...

How do you compile a kext?  I opened the Xcode project, and changed OS X Deployment Target to 10.10.  The base SDK is 10.11, and that's the only option, even though I'm running Yosemite.  When I try to build, it says "The run destination My Mac is not valid for Running the scheme 'IntelMausiEthernet'.

In reference to my last question, I downloaded a pre-built binary and got it working, but I'd still like to know the answer.

My motherboard has two different NICs — Intel i211-AT and i218v.  The Mausi driver is working well for the i218v, but what is the best way to get both NICs working?  If I install AppleIntelE1000.kext, I think it will try to take over both; is there a way to tell it to ignore the i218v?

i211-AT is based off i210 I believe, which has a native driver. Perhaps device ID injection might work.

If Apple's driver doesn't work, try AppleIGB.kext which supports devices based on the I210 architecture.

Mieze

Apple driver should work for the i211, but how do I make sure it doesn't take over the i218?  I want to use the Mausi driver for that one.

Trust me, it doesn't because I210/I211 and I218 have completely different architectures so that Apple's driver won't recognize the I218.

Mieze

Ah, maybe you misunderstood me.  I'm not using Apple's official driver, rather this one from SourceForge; I guess it's confusing because they have the same name.  This driver does support i218, it's just less stable than Mausi.  So I want to use Mausi for the i218 and AppleIntelE1000e for the i211 at the same time.  Is that possible?

Ah, maybe you misunderstood me.  I'm not using Apple's official driver, rather this one from SourceForge; I guess it's confusing because they have the same name.  This driver does support i218, it's just less stable than Mausi.  So I want to use Mausi for the i218 and AppleIntelE1000e for the i211 at the same time.  Is that possible?

You are on the wrong track because AppleIntelE1000.kext doesn't support I211. You need Apple's driver (may work with I211?) or AppleIGB.kext (works with I211).

Mieze

• Like 1

@ MiezeI have one minor problem. After osx boot i have to wait about 1 minute till my ip its being allocated from driver. I use latest kext inside EFI partition with Ozmosis. 
What may be the cause? 

I deleted prefferences, recreated en:0 interface. I tried also with clover and same result.

@ MiezeI have one minor problem. After osx boot i have to wait about 1 minute till my ip its being allocated from driver. I use latest kext inside EFI partition with Ozmosis. 
What may be the cause? 

I deleted prefferences, recreated en:0 interface. I tried also with clover and same result.

First of all, the driver doesn't allocate the IP address, it handles packets, nothing more and nothing less. Anything else, like getting an IP address via DHCP, is the network stack's job. When a link is established, the driver logs a message to /var/log/system.log and the IP address should be acquired within a few seconds after that event. The question is, why does it take so long until you get an IP address? Only in case of delayed link establishment, it may be a driver related issue.

Mieze

Thanks for pointing me out! Yep could be a driver issue. I also have ErP Enabled into BIOS and darkwake=0 in bootloader configuration.

Ip its static allocated no dhcp, from router.  only in osx prefferences it remains in dhcp mode.

Ip its static allocated no dhcp, from router.  only in osx prefferences it remains in dhcp mode.

What are you trying to tell me? Looks like you are confusing things? Are you getting a static IP address via DHCP from your router or have you entered a manual configuration in System Preferences? How much time passes between the link up message and the acquisition of the IP address?

Mieze

About 30 seconds between. in system prefferences its all automatically config.

Sounds like you are not using a static address, but rather DHCP with a DHCP reservation.

Why not try setting a static IP (since the address is already reserved).

Ill try and report. This problem manifests only at cold boot. When I wake from sleep, its all good.

EDIT: I saw that at cold but, I have Internet then after 2 sec, ip appears self assigned for 30 seconds then I have stable connection. May be a problem with macOS, and I dont have time for reinstall at the moment.

I installed the driver into L/E and the restult is the same. When I'll have time I'll do a reinstall and report back.

Thanks for help guys.

Ill try and report. This problem manifests only at cold boot. When I wake from sleep, its all good.

EDIT: I saw that at cold but, I have Internet then after 2 sec, ip appears self assigned for 30 seconds then I have stable connection. May be a problem with macOS, and I dont have time for reinstall at the moment.

I installed the driver into L/E and the restult is the same. When I'll have time I'll do a reinstall and report back.

No need to reinstall anything because it's obvious that this is a DHCP issue. Use a static configuration or fix your router's configuration.

Mieze

Sorry to sound like a broken record...

Has anyone experienced issues when transmitting large amounts of data at high speed?  I updated my SSDT as suggested but am still getting the “Tx stalled” message when transferring large files out.  Only large Tx are problematic, not Rx (so copying large files to my mackintosh is never an issue).

Here's how to reproduce: copy a large (~200 gig) directory from hackintosh to other machine over the network at full speed (120-130 Megs/sec).  After a while the interface stalls: 

6/11/16 11:11:19.000 AM kernel[0]: Ethernet [IntelMausi]: Check tx ring for progress. txNumFreeDesc=502
6/11/16 11:11:20.000 AM kernel[0]: Ethernet [IntelMausi]: Tx stalled? Resetting chipset. txDirtyDescIndex=946, STATUS=0x40080083, TCTL=0x3103f0fa.
I have and intel i3-6100 on a Gigabyte GA-H170N motherboard.  I configured the interface manually using 1000BaseT, no flow-control or EEE.  I installed the debug version of IntelMausiEthernet V2.1.0.

I'd be curious to hear whether anyone else has experienced this issue.  I don't experience the issue under normal server load (running 3 weeks+ with no issues); only when doing massive transfers out.

Thanks,
cs45

Is the target computer a Windows machine with SMB3 activated?

If so, check the current SMB situation in Powershell with

Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol

to activate/deactivate SMB1 use

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $true/$false

to activate/deactivate SMB2 use

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true/$false

On Windows 8/2012 and above SMB3 will be activated/deactivated with SMB2

No need to reinstall anything because it's obvious that this is a DHCP issue. Use a static configuration or fix your router's configuration.

Mieze

I discovered what was the problem, LittleSnitch residual kext remained after uninstall, i cant't understand how's that possible because I used official uninstaller. After I deleted the kext and repaired permissions it's all good. 

Is the target computer a Windows machine with SMB3 activated?

The target computer is an iMac (27-inch, late 2012), file sharing is over AFP (OS X Server with SMB disabled).  I will try to see if I can replicate the Tx stall issue using SMB instead of AFP later tonight...

cs45