IntelMausiEthernet.kext for Intel onboard LAN

Mieze
1,013 posts in this topic

One question my ethernet MAC address is 88:88:88:88:87:88, there is some way to change it? 

Yes, use ifconfig (see the man page) in Terminal to change the MAC address.

Mieze

• Like 1

so far so good with 82579V on UP5 TH. If this works well for a few days i will roll it out to the rest of the systems in my care that have supported chips. thanks for all you do Mieze!

Whats the driver name stand for?

g\

Whats the driver name stand for?

Well, Mausi was the name of my mother's cat who died a few weeks ago and I decided to dedicate the driver to Mausi because she was a brilliant cat.

:cat:

• Like 6

Installed and working on my Asus Z97-A with Intel218V ethernet.

Will keep an eye on Netstats, so far the only things that stand out

kctl: 5 send failures

icmp6: 7 bad neighbor advertisement messages (not using ip6 anyway)

arp: 2 ARP entries timed out

Thank you.

Mausi installed on my Asus Z87I-PRO (Intel 217V) with Yosemite. All seems to be working so far. (Haven't tried big transfers yet.)

ok, 107GB transferred over rsync over ssh over ipv6 no problems at all. That's a good start. I'll just leave it in use until and unless I have a problem...

• Like 1

Mausi installed on a Gigabyte z97x-ud7th with Intel 217V on Mavericks 10.9.5.  So far so good, a few large-ish transfer to check for issues, no problems yet. 

Out of interest is jumbo frame support something planned for the future?

Out of interest is jumbo frame support something planned for the future?

I thought about implementing support for jumbo frames but I don't know if it's worth the effort as there is almost no gain in throughput in real world scenarios.

Mieze

Mieze, thank you for your massive (imho) work. Thumbs up  :thumbsup_anim:

So far the driver's working nice (also having correct report of the NIC model / version). Will report if any issues or strange behaviour occur:

28thvno.png

Mieze, thank you for your massive (imho) work. Thumbs up  :thumbsup_anim:

So far the driver's working nice (also having correct report of the NIC model / version). Will report if any issues or strange behaviour occur:

28thvno.png

Does it work better than hank's E1000e with Yos ?

Does it work better than hank's E1000e with Yos ?

Can't tell yet it's better than hnak's (guess it is, cause Mieze says he dropped pretty old models / respective code in his fork), but Mieze's driver's displaying the model of my NIC at least so far. Will test / investigate further.

Do you know a good way to test the transfer rate of an ethernet/wifi chip?

I'd like to make a comparison between two different chips.

Use iperf for basic speed tests. For real world tests you could use Blackmagic Disk Speed Test over an AFP or SMB connection to a fileserver.

Mieze

• Like 2

Use iperf for basic speed tests. For real world tests you could use Blackmagic Disk Speed Test over an AFP or SMB connection to a fileserver.

Mieze

Thanks for the tip regarding Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.   I was just copying a 700gb folder over to a linux box via AFP, starting a stopwatch and looking at the "about 2 hours" as a guide,  then trying to catch it at the end to stop the stopwatch.  Granted I was also trying to test stability of large transfers at the same time, but I do I feel rather silly now.  :rolleyes:

So far after 12 hours of the driver being in place, and a complete/new time machine backup to test it out a bit more, its still solid.  Things are looking good.  Thanks for your incredible work Meize.

Also understood about the jumbo frames.  I think its more psychological on my end more than anything, seeing almost all my equipment/switches etc support jumbo frames, it feels a little sad when the old hackintoshes are left out.  But if its a major bit of work to implement, then its totally understandable - I'm just glad to have a driver for the i217V thats this stable so far.

Do you know a good way to test the transfer rate of an ethernet/wifi chip?

I'd like to make a comparison between two different chips.

I am aware of SpeedTest.net. Stumbled upon LAN Speed Test Lite (free) for Mac and Using netcat to test network speed.

Hope they will be of use to you :)

• Like 1

Its been working well for me the last day with very solid speeds.

BlackMagic Speed Test, 2GB

OS X SSD (MacPC) to SSD (13" MBP) transfers are roughly 105MB/s (write, read was 101.4GB), OS X to Win 7 on same devices was a bit faster. (so fast it made some component on the MBP whine)

OS X SSD (MacPC) to HDD (Mac Mini) results wobble a bit, Write fluctuates between 26MB/s to 58.4MB/s, Read between 34.7MB/s-104.7MB (the 104MB/s & 109MB/s results seem oddly high for a 5400rpm HDD, cached in RAM?)

• Like 1