Clover, EFI and sleep...

onidemon

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

so i've succesfully installed OS X Yosemite 10.10 on an HP Z420 with a Xeon e5-1620 Sandy Bridge CPU and Quadro K4000. Everything seems to be working very well. No crashes, very stable and fast. I think all my hardware is fully functioning but then again i am not sure how to check.

My First question is about EFI. My mother board is currently set to Legacy but i have the option of EFI. I tried installing Clover bootloader but that made my system unbootable. No matter what option i choses in Clover configurator it still wouldn't boot. I had tried with legacy or EFI and though EFI got me further neither would boot. I finally found out how to deleted the EFI partition and got rid of Clover. I then installed Chameleon and i can boot perfectly fine into OS X and Windows 8 now. (For windows 8 i have to change to storage mode to RAID+AHCI tho)

My question really is, do i need EFI? From what ive read it gives faster boot times but it's not really something i care about. What other advantages does EFI have? My hackintosh seems to be fully working now except for sleep which gives me a blackscreen on wake. Will EFI give me better performence? I've read that i can safely updade OS X without fear of bricking but i did the 10.10.2 update and it worked fine. So Why should i care for EFI? And if ever i want to go the EFI route, would i need to reinstall OSX from scratch since i installed it with the bios set to legacy?

2nd question is about sleep. My computer can go to sleep but when i wake i have a blackscreen. I've read that nullcpupowermanagement\.kext could be why. But i've also read that removing it can cause kernel panic on boot. How can i safely remove it to test if i need it or not? If i do get kernel panic, could i still boot back into OSX with a boot disc?(Like the one i used for the install) What about FakeSMC, do i need that too?

and last, can someone give me some info on what i can try to test if everything is fully working in my hackintosh setup? So far i see no problems but i don't know if i am getting full performence from my CPU and Video card... the video card seems to give me full GPU acceleration and works fine with the web drivers.

Thanks in advance, sorry for asking so many question in the same post!

• 7 months later...

What USB installer did you use? I am stuck on the Apple logo with the progress bar not moving. In verbose mode, it appears to be halting while doing a  PCI configuration.

Can you post your boot commands you used (if any)? Maybe I can at least get me to the installer. The Z420 I am working with has a Quadro K2000.