7200 GS 256MB configuration (Dell 4700)

Whosondephone

11 posts in this topic

I have set up a Dell Dimension 4700 running 10.6.8 following the guidance of this thread.  I am having trouble getting the graphics set up.  At first there was no QE/CI using the unmodified DSDT.  I followed a perhaps forbidden DSDT fix guide and I'm having minor glitches and artifacts in the video image.  I used NVenabler.kxt in the beginning of the guide after being unsuccessful with EFI Strings and Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler=Yes. 

I was able to get perfect video in 10.5 using one of the options in Ideneb installer.  I'll have to go back and see what that was.

Can I use injection or NVenabler and DSDT together?  Do I leave the Device (PCI0) section empty? Do I leave the brackets ect.? 

What I find particularly interesting is that Even when loading the attached DSDT set up for NVIDIA 6600.  I still got the same glitchy graphics.  So it would seem that I'm bypassing the video section of the DSDT.

Warm thanks for your time.

Edit: Someone mentioned Rampage Dev's guide in a post next to me.  It looks like all the amazing information I need.  How did I miss that?   I would most certainly welcome any feedback anyhow.  Thanks again.

Edited by Whosondephone

Ramage's guide didn't work for me. I'm using an nVidia GeForce 7650GS 256MB card. Tried adding the device ID to the various kexts, tried PciRoot=0 tried GraphicsEnabler=Yes Still no QE/CI. Even tried adding Device Properties to Chameleon boot loader and to com.Appleplist seperately still no go

My guess is at this point I need to put the card in a real mac pro and record the Nvcap values.  Is my understanding correct that you need a special mac cirtified video card?  In other words I can't do what i'm saying.

I consider myself lucky that it is working and the system is stable.  I just have to deal with some 100% transparent parts of menues and some virtualy burnt out led's in the peak meters in logic.

Thanks for the reply W0lfhound.

• 2 weeks later...

lol

Within two years?

It might be as simple as booting with

PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=y   

(Before you do that, make sure no other graphics injection (DSDT, Device Properties String, NVEnabler) is active. Also try to use the latest version of Chameleon).

google/forum search "tequila fix" for more information on why that might work for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The sight was down when I had made time to report back.  Unfortunately the fixed DSDT did not entirely work.  I am not noticing glitches on the level indicators in Logic however. 

I apologize for dragging you all into my problem after not having done my homework.  I need to figure out how to get the machine to boot without the DSDT.  Also I hadn't thought to simplify my search.  Thank you for all you efforts.  You have shed some light on some things. 

The record I'm working on is supposed to come out in August.  I plan to take a hiatus from music to nail out this problem.  I'll report back.

Peace, Thanks again!