Power management and graphics issues (Z97N-Gaming 5/i5-4460/HD4600)

martin_weiss

33 posts in this topic

I am having a bunch of issues with power management and graphics that I haven't been able to solve on my own. They might be connected somehow. I am hoping that someone here can help me.

1) First of all I've had some graphics issues. When I boot, I get some strange stuff, see the first video (boot.mov). Also, When I open a new tab in Safari, I get some flickering (new_tab.mov), sometimes also when I switch between spaces. About My Mac shows "Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB".

Note: I have not applied any graphics patches. See the attached config.plist.

2) I installed Intel Power Gadget to see if power management is working. It looks like it's working from the graphs (Intel Power Gadget.png), but looking at the output of the log (Intel Power Gadget.csv), it seems like the CPU is only running at 800, 3200, 3300 and 3400 MHz, while the GPU is running at 200 MHz all the time. I have also attached the output of running AppleIntelInfo.kext (AppleIntelInfo.txt). Does this look right?

Toleda has told me to set Cpu/QPI=100 (using Clover Configurator), which I have done. This changed nothing.

When I run kextstat, AppleLPC.kext is not loaded. Toleda has told me that this is wrong somehow. I'm not sure why, and what to do about it. I tried ticking off Acpi/FakeLPC, but it also didn't help.

I really hope someone can help me.

Note: I'm using Clover.

AppleIntelInfo.txt

post-686765-0-00989200-1422296670_thumb.png

boot.mov

kextstat.txt

config.plist.zip

Intel Power Gadget log.csv.zip

Thanks. I tried these settings, but the Intel Power Gadget log still doesn't show working power management :(

I generated an SSDT using ssdtPRGen.sh, and placed SSDT.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

When I run kextstat, I can't find either ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin or AppleLPC in the list (mentioned at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295587-power-management-for-sandyivy-bridgehaswell-cpus/).

I've attached my config.plist. Anything wrong with it?

config.plist.zip

For you see your states, try use AppleIntelInfo.

And ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, is not neither anymore:  https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/xnu-cpu-power-management/

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext
No. We no longer need it. It is no longer required to have ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext loaded. This also means that property Supported Features/Stepper CPU won’t be set, but you need to set plugin-type or you will get the above error.

And for AppleLPC, read here: http://www.hackintoshosx.com/topic/22874-power-management-for-your-hackintosh/?p=118500

1) I set FakeLPC0020 to true, but AppleLPC.kext doesn't show when I run kextstat in the terminal. What's wrong?

2) I have also attached the result of running AppleIntelInfo.kext. Does this look right?

Intel Power Gadget looks even better now (see the new screenshot), but the log still only shows 800, 3200, 3300 and 3400 MHz!

Could someone with working power management please upload a log from Intel Power Gadget? I would like to see that it's actually capable of showing values different from 800, 3200, 3300 and 3400 MHz. 

AICPUPMI.txt

post-686765-0-88796800-1422552216_thumb.png

Right. I am getting closer, but I'm still missing something. Your help is greatly appreciated!

In MaciASL I go File->New from ACPI->DSDT. I then press "Patch", and copy/paste the info from your post (http://www.hackintoshosx.com/topic/22874-power-management-for-your-hackintosh/?p=118500). When I click Compile I get a bunch of syntax errors.

I also get syntax errors without patching anything (see screenshot).

post-686765-0-15982400-1422739538_thumb.png

No worries, I perfectly understand (same priorities here). I greatly appreciate that you take the time to help me learn  :) I'll make sure to write a thorough guide (with thanks to all who contributed) when everything works. I have a feeling that many people don't even look into this stuff (DSDT editing), and/or even give up on working power management, but I'm really interested in finding out how to get it working.

I've attached my DSDT (extracted using F4 in the Clover menu).

DSDT.zip

Your DSDT is corrupted, try extract via OS X - Terminal:

sudo perl -e 'open(CMD, "ioreg -lw0 \| grep DSDT|") or die; while(<CMD>) { chomp; if($_ =~ /\"DSDT\.?\d?\"=<([^>]*)>/) { $buff = $1; open(PIP, "|xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/dsdt.aml") or die; print PIP "$1"; } }'